01-05-2016, 01:48 PM
User Info
I've not bought a new DE razor in years and haven't really been super active on the forums and such in recent years. It has recently come to my attention that there are now a plethora of new DE razors on the market, including a number of stainless steel razors. I'm intrigued and I am thinking about trying a new DE razor soon.

The two razors I've used the most in the last couple of years are my EJ DE89L and my Gillette Super Adjustable. On the Gillette, I typically set it between 3-5, never any higher than that. I'm not really interested in hyper aggressive razors, or anything that requires a lot of special technique to get a good shave. Looking for a daily driver here.

I've owned some other vintage Gillettes and such in the past but got rid of all those razors a few years back. Not because they were bad, but because I don't like swapping razors constantly and using a different razor every day of the week or whatever, and the DE89 and Super were the two razors I used the most.

The two brands of stainless razors that I'm looking closely at are Ikon (one of the milder models) and Feather, but I am open to other brands. I'm not really looking to get on a waiting list for six months or more for a razor that may or may not be produced in the future in reasonable quantities. Likewise, I'm not really interested in a start up type product that is still working through design or QC issues. 

Based on this background info, stainless razor would you suggest for me?

0 189
 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM
User Info
iKon certainly has a nice selection of razors. They will perform relatively similar to your DE89 and Super Adjustable, as far as aggressiveness goes.
I found the OSS to be less aggressive then their standard head, and open comb. Their Shave Craft offerings are also very nice, but typically not stainless.

Feather AS-D2 on the other hand is probably the mildest razor available, however, it does a damn fine job. I love my AS-D2.
Pair it with a Feather blade and you will have the most comfortable, risk-free DE shave ever.

If you're not interested in waiting for a Wolfman (totally worth the wait), then I would also suggest you check out Above the Tie.
They offer razors for everyone. Ranging from mild to aggressive. My favorite from all of their offerings is the slant(s). Their S1 or S2 slant head is absolutely amazing.
It's not overly aggressive, and I find that it provides an incredible comfortable and smooth shave.

I own all four brands. My current favorite is Wolfman, followed by ATT coming in a very close second.

28 349
 01-05-2016, 02:27 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have sensitive skin, so I like fairly mild razors as well.  I have an Above The Tie M2 and a Wolfman.  Both are good razors for daily shaving.  Another one to look at that just came out is the Blackland Balckbird.  It has gotten pretty good reviews so far.  If your looking for an established brand and don't want to wait, I don't think you can go wrong with Above The Tie.

3 584
 01-05-2016, 02:39 PM
User Info
I have wolfman att and ikon . Att m1 or m2 is what your looking for. Stan has the 30 day return policy so you make sure you get the head your looking for.

Ikon is a good razor don't get me wrong but for quality and just overall good shaves go with the att. If you find the m1 or m2 too mild then swap it for an r . Don't like anything you buy then send it all back for a refund.

3 1,356
 01-05-2016, 06:32 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(01-05-2016, 02:39 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I have wolfman att and ikon . Att m1 or m2 is what your looking for. Stan has the 30 day return policy so you make sure you get the head your looking for.

Ikon is a good razor don't get me wrong but for quality and just overall good shaves go with the att. If you find the m1 or m2 too mild then swap it for an r . Don't like anything you buy then send it all back for a refund.

+1 on the ATT. I would only recommend to purchase an R1 (base plate) and S1 (head) together with the M head so you do not need to send them back and forth. the 30-day return policy would give you enough time to decide and testing the plates and heads side by side might be a bit more informative. I tried all ATT heads and plates combinations and the only heads I kept are the R1 and S1.

113 1,542
 01-05-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 02:39 PM)Otis375 Wrote: I have wolfman att and ikon . Att m1 or m2 is what your looking for. Stan has the 30 day return policy so you make sure you get the head your looking for.

I didn't know you can try different heads and return the ones you don't like. Wow! Talk about good service! Thanks Otis and Argh for mentioning that.

13 947
 01-05-2016, 06:52 PM
User Info
Above the Tie goes above and beyond (hehe). Great vendor, excellent product, and the only razor I use.

3 1,484
 01-06-2016, 11:16 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-05-2016, 01:48 PM)cvac Wrote: The two brands of stainless razors that I'm looking closely at are Ikon (one of the milder models) and Feather,

Based on this background info, stainless razor would you suggest for me?

It happens that the two brands of stainless razors that you are looking at are the same two that I own.  I purchased an iKon DLC Slant head a year ago, mated it with a Maggard MR5 handle, and used that razor more than any other throughout 2015.  At the end of October, I purchased a Feather AS-D2, and, because it has a gentle but long learning curve, I have spent the past couple of months learning how best to use it.  I posted a review (VERY long, the War & Peace version)  of the Feather AS-D2 on amazon.com on December 11, and in less than four weeks, that review has vaulted to the fourth position (out of 203 reviews) in the “most helpful” sort order, trailing three reviews that were posted in 2013.   Rather than “Tolstoying” you here, I refer you to that review for details.  Here is a URL that the Amazon software does not allow to be put into a review, but will provide a detail that necessarily was left out of even that very long review.

1 1,110
 01-06-2016, 11:23 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
Although I generally like medium aggressive razors I've been using my ATT S1 a little more than any other razor I own.  Even though it's not real aggressive I always get a very comfortable, and usually BBS, shave.

49 639
 01-06-2016, 11:43 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
..........Fendrihan Stainless Steel Razor...........

46 1,070
 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM
User Info
Sounds like an ATT R1 would be a good fit for you. Heirloom quality razor and provided me with some of the smoothest shaves around.

~Jesse~

80 947
 01-08-2016, 06:16 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(01-06-2016, 11:43 AM)leonidas Wrote: ..........Fendrihan Stainless Steel Razor...........

Asked for one of these for my birthday. Can't wait.

3 227
 01-08-2016, 08:28 AM
User Info
As already said go with ATT

2 359
 01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
User Info
(01-05-2016, 06:32 PM)ARGH Wrote:

+1 on the ATT. I would only recommend to purchase an R1 (base plate) and S1 (head) together with the M head so you do not need to send them back and forth. the 30-day return policy would give you enough time to decide and testing the plates and heads side by side might be a bit more informative. I tried all ATT heads and plates combinations and the only heads I kept are the R1 and S1.
+1

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

19 613
 01-09-2016, 03:59 PM
User Info
I have an ATT with the short barber pole handle (atlas). I've tried the m1/r1/h1 closed comb base plates (mild, regular, aggressive), as well as the most aggressive open comb (h2). Great shaves all around, and I eventually settled on the most aggressive closed comb baseplate (h1). The quality is great, and the ATT effectively cured any razor acquisition disorder I previously had.

If you pick up a slant baseplate, you'll also need a slant head to mate it with.

[Image: wAPtweh.jpg]

29 1,207
 01-09-2016, 04:53 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I have had several of the new breed SS razors.  IKon, ATT, Feather, Wolfman.  

The IKon is the cheapest, but I believe all iKOn's aren't 100% SS, as noted above, some of the heads are rumored to be cast pot metal, though you should check.  Their website is cagey in that regard, and mine is long gone.  Of those I have had the iKon quality reflected it's position as the cheapest.  As I recall it was mildly aggressive.

Above the Tie has a wide range of well made all stainless machined razors.  My Atlas handled S-2 is always out and ready.  You can't complain when you can swap a head back within 30 days.  More pricey than the iKon, but in my view more than worth it.

The Feather AS-D2 is one that I had and liked, but sold as too mild for me.  Very well made, the head is I think a casting rather than machined.  Cheaper than the ATT, especially if you search carefully - Amazon has it for $150 or so last I looked, Massdrop has had it cheaper.

Wolfman is my latest acquisition.  This is what I'd call semi-custom, the maker adjusted both the blade exposure (for a more aggressive shave) and handle length to my specs.   Just received last month, but the workmanship is outstanding (on a par with ATT) and the shaves are so far excellent.  But I waited 6 months to receive it, so that is outside the OP's parameters.

So, my suggestion would be the ATT with the M plate based on your description.   The Feather would be second choice, but that is without the flexibility that Stan builds into the ATT system.   I'd avoid the iKon, based on the lesser quality, and aggressiveness.

45 492
 01-11-2016, 06:45 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-09-2016, 04:53 PM)garyg Wrote: I believe all iKOn's aren't 100% SS, as noted above, some of the heads are rumored to be cast pot metal, though you should check.  

The Feather AS-D2 is one that I had and liked, but sold as too mild for me.  Very well made, the head is I think a casting rather than machined.  

AFAIK, none of the iKon razors has been made from pot metal.  Generally, the iKon razors branded Shavecraft have been made from aluminum, and those without the Shavecraft appellation are type 304 stainless steel.  

As for the Feather AS-D2, there are castings and there are castings:  the AS-D2 is made by the MIM (metal injection molding) process, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding.  MIM is used by fabricators of turbine blades for jet engines; I cannot speak for your vigor in shaving, but my razor never sees the stresses that jet turbine components encounter routinely. Do you suppose a machined razor necessarily is superior to an MIM-cast razor?

1 1,110
 01-11-2016, 07:21 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(01-11-2016, 06:45 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 04:53 PM)garyg Wrote: I believe all iKOn's aren't 100% SS, as noted above, some of the heads are rumored to be cast pot metal, though you should check.  

The Feather AS-D2 is one that I had and liked, but sold as too mild for me.  Very well made, the head is I think a casting rather than machined.  

AFAIK, none of the iKon razors has been made from pot metal.  Generally, the iKon razors branded Shavecraft have been made from aluminum, and those without the Shavecraft appellation are type 304 stainless steel.  

As for the Feather AS-D2, there are castings and there are castings:  the AS-D2 is made by the MIM (metal injection molding) process, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding.  MIM is used by fabricators of turbine blades for jet engines; I cannot speak for your vigor in shaving, but my razor never sees the stresses that jet turbine components encounter routinely. Do you suppose a machined razor necessarily is superior to an MIM-cast razor?

I was just trying to point out some of the differences between the razors, differences which the those manufacturers don't necessarily highlight in their product descriptions.  For example, I can't find the term "aluminum" in the iKon Shavecraft descriptions ..  http://ikonrazors.com/shop/ikon-heads/sh...-101-head/ - they only mention stainless steel.   Of course a machined piece isn't necessarily superior to MIM, but given the choice of either I'd prefer a machining over a casting, assuming equal care was put into each.

45 492