01-06-2016, 07:08 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
When ever i have shaved with a de i get some nasty red dots on my neck. This isn't the case with a straight razor.. what am I doing wrong?

3 227
 01-06-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
Possibly not going truly wtg on your first pass ? For years I went straight up and down  on my neck,hair  grew like this /  . So my first pass when I started shaving with a de hurt . With a straight ur not getting blade flex or chatter like you are with a de. That's just what happend with me.

3 1,356
 01-06-2016, 08:16 PM
User Info
Could be angle plus a bit too much pressure, possibly.

83 21,077
 01-06-2016, 08:33 PM
User Info
(01-06-2016, 08:16 PM)celestino Wrote: Could be angle plus a bit too much pressure, possibly.

Would be my guess as well.

3 4,484
 01-06-2016, 08:47 PM
User Info
Angle,  pressure and prep

18 654
 01-06-2016, 08:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
After much trial and error I've found that 2 NO PRESSURE passes, WTG and XTG, result in a DFS and leave my neck irritation free. The rest of my face gets a third ATG pass. Also key is a cold water rinse followed by alum and then another cold water rinse. That's followed by a VERY light application of a post shave balm.

7 2,134
 01-07-2016, 12:32 AM
User Info
(01-06-2016, 07:08 PM)Scoti Wrote: When ever i have shaved with a de i get some nasty red dots on my neck. This isn't the case with a straight razor.. what am I doing wrong?

I don't think it's too big a stretch to say that, for the most part, this forum consists of lather devotees. Very little is said about lather alternatives. This is worth discussion because lather, in some instances...for some men...does not do an adequate job.

After I mastered my technique, I learned that an almost infinite number of passes was required to shave my neck using lather. Though I learned to accomplish this without nicks or too much irritation, I exhausted myself daily just getting an acceptable shave in that area. What I eventually discovered was shaving oil and shaving butter offers better protection for the neck. They allow me to be a bit more aggressive without exposing my neck and face to the problems men experience when applying pressure to the razor.

I tend toward overkill in my daily shaves, but I enjoy the consistently close irritation free shaves I acquire without investing a lot of time by practicing this routine:

* prep: Noxema/glycerin soap face wash

* 1st pass: Somersets Shaving Oil - max glide.

Note: Each "pass" is approached as if it's the only pass; I go over my face several times with one application of oil or cream.

* 2nd pass: African Black Soap Shave Butter Cream.

* 3rd pass: lather using soap of choice (whatever I feel like grabbing) and touch up as required.

* wash face, apply Thayers Witch Hazel

"You can't make sense out of non-sense".

0 21
 01-07-2016, 01:42 AM
User Info
(01-06-2016, 07:08 PM)Scoti Wrote: When ever i have shaved with a de i get some nasty red dots on my neck. This isn't the case with a straight razor.. what am I doing wrong?

so - how do you shave? tell a bit more about your usual routine! Smile

7 1,624
 01-07-2016, 05:18 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Well I'll take a shower. When I get out I rub in some proraso pre shave. Lather up using proraso to my desired consistency. N to S on the cheeks then go down the neck N to S. I then relather and go XTG on the cheeks and chin. Then ATG on the cheeks while touching up the jaw line and chin if needed. I usually only 1 pass the neck because if i go more it gets hurt.

3 227
 01-07-2016, 08:37 AM
User Info
Add me to the group that says less pressure. It's funny, you think you can't possibly apply less pressure than you already do but try to consciously apply NO pressure. It should produce a surprisingly wonderful result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,272
 01-07-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I believe it's not pressure and here's why.  He uses straights, and as someone who went from straights to DEs myself pressure was never an issue with me. What blade are you using ?

Blades are one of the biggest culprits for irratation on my neck.

3 1,356
 01-07-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
I think it's probably angle. It's just tougher to get right on the neck. However, even after using a DE for a while, I still got ingrowns on one spot on my neck. What helped me there was understanding the grain of my beard better, along with a very light touch and a very sharp blade.

0 1,070
 01-07-2016, 11:57 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-07-2016, 08:37 AM)merkur man Wrote: Add me to the group that says less pressure. It's funny, you think you can't possibly apply less pressure than you already do but try to consciously apply NO pressure. It should produce a surprisingly wonderful result.

Well said.

7 2,134
 01-07-2016, 02:16 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I don't use any pressure I'm used to that. I'll have to try again tonight. I'm using a lord blade. In a black tip ss handle 51 super speed.

3 227
 01-07-2016, 03:20 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(01-06-2016, 08:16 PM)celestino Wrote: Could be angle plus a bit too much pressure, possibly.

I would also suspect this. I get no irritation with straights, but if I don't watch these two things with a DE, I get exactly what you describe.

2 1,683
 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM
User Info
Usually too much pressure or too many touch up passes will do this for me.

3 920
 01-07-2016, 06:48 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Less pressure tonight served me well. Haven't had a better shave with a de. I really enjoyed it.

3 227
 01-08-2016, 09:00 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I have talked to a few people that use a straight just for certain spots, I have often thought about maybe doing the same for my neck as sometimes I get irritation. Though I'm only 2 shaves in with my new Wolfman and one shave had none and the other only a little so I might have just found the savour of my neck.

16 784
 01-08-2016, 05:21 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
That is one of the joys of using a straight. Every other razor I own or use, if I am not careful in certain spots, will lead to irritation. With a good, sharp straight, I never get irritation, and my face never needs a "rest" from shaving. Instead, it feels smooth and pampered, every day.

2 1,683
 01-10-2016, 03:56 PM
User Info
(01-08-2016, 05:21 PM)SRNewb Wrote: That is one of the joys of using a straight. Every other razor I own or use, if I am not careful in certain spots, will lead to irritation. With a good, sharp straight, I never get irritation, and my face never needs a "rest" from shaving. Instead, it feels smooth and pampered, every day.

I couldn't agree more - it mirrors my experience. 

Like most here I started with a DE and I found I could get good close shaves, but I always got a little bit of irritation on my neck.  I could never find the right balance of angle and pressure.  I'm happy to put my hand up and claim user error as the cause, but try as I might I couldn't get it right.

Then I read somewhere about some guy with a similar problem who had switched to straight razors and solved the neck irritation problem.  I did the same and long story short I have a comfortable three pass BBS shave each morning with never any irritation (two passes WTG and finish with a third pass ATG).  A couple of years on I have gifted all my DE razors to mates, except for a Merkur 34C which I use for the upper lip and chin component of my ATG pass.

The hair on my neck seems to grow in all different directions.  I reckon the edge on a straight is sufficiently flexible that it moulds to the skin a bit and can better deal with whatever hair it encounters. 

So happy days !  It's just a matter of experimenting and finding out what works for you.

1 81