01-06-2016, 07:20 PM
User Info
I acquired this razor a while ago and I don't know what brand it is. Does anyone here know what I have on my hands?

I may be mistaken, but the razor appears to be adjustable through the use of a stainless steel shim that acts as a spring, which offers resistance as you loosen the handle to increase the blade gap. It shaves similar to my Gillette English tech when fully tightened and becomes more aggressive as the handle is loosened.

I appreciate any help in identifying this razor.

[Image: 4PMr9Er.jpg]

[Image: E0Ugxq2.jpg]

21 161
 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I've seen one of these before, but I forget the make. As I recall, the X's and O's are significant in regards to the aggressiveness, as well. I have a similar razor that adjusts in an unusual fashion. But I don't think it's the same make.

22 835
 01-06-2016, 07:30 PM
User Info
I figured the X's and O's served that purpose but I wasn't certain. You would need a corresponding mark on the handle to gauge the adjustability.

21 161
 01-06-2016, 07:33 PM
User Info
I tried the shim on my Feather AS-D1, Ikon OSS and English Gillette Tech and they worked as adjustable a with it.

21 161
 01-07-2016, 09:51 AM
User Info
Anyone else have any information on this razor?

I find the adjustable design with the shim that serves as a leaf spring to be very simple yet effective, and it can be applied to other mild Gillette Tech style razors fairly easily. The Feather AS-D1 in particular is a good candidate for this shim leaf-spring since it tends to be so mild to begin with and this can increase the blade gap to make this razor more efficient.

21 161
 01-07-2016, 09:34 PM
User Info
Hmm thats neat ima have to search that one

2 359
 01-09-2016, 10:57 AM
User Info
Very cool razor! Can't say I've seen one like that before

~Jesse~

80 947
 01-09-2016, 11:58 AM
User Info
That's interesting.  Do you have a picture with it mounted to the handle?

11 195
 01-09-2016, 12:52 PM
User Info
Here are some pictures with this head mounted on a handle. You can see the shim leaf-spring in the first picture.

[Image: y4HAsqB.jpg]

[Image: 4MC2dVT.jpg]

21 161
 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM
User Info
Another picture with the top cap, bottom plate and shim leaf-spring next to a Feather AS-D1 top cap and bottom plate. You can see how the leaf-spring fits perfectly on the Feather parts to make that razor adjustable as well.

[Image: r7vf7TE.jpg]

21 161
 01-13-2016, 09:24 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been meaning to chime in but life kept on getting in the way.

This razor was made by a company in Jew Jersey and sold brands such as Doehler-Jarvis, Club and Hospital.  I have had the adjustable and non-adjustable versions and they are nice shavers.  The shim was originally attached to the base plate, but is very susceptible to breaking off as in your case.  The original handle had two arrows cast into it and they were used to align the handle with the X and O marks on the bottom of the head which would allow you to track your adjustment preferences.  A Google search using the above brands should get you more than enough information, also in Waits' "A Safety Razor Compendium".

149 2,823
 01-13-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
I appreciate the information blzrfn. This model is the Doehler-Jarvis XO Adjustable DE razor. I just did a Google search and was able to find some pictures of this razor with the original handle. I was able to see the arrows on the handle which you mentioned. Although I like this razor, I do not use it due to mine being poorly made with soft metal, maybe zamac. It is roughly finished with some nickel plating issues but the adjustable concept is very practical.

I use the shim leaf-spring on my all too mild Feather AS-D1 to make it more efficient yet still very smooth. I now prefer this Adjustable Feather AS-D1 to my other razors I own or have owned, which include; Ikon OSS, Blackbird (just traded it away), Futur, Elglish Gillette Tech Hybrid, Gillete Old Type, Standard Razor (no longer own), Muhle r89 (no longer own), RR SLAB, Merkur 34c (no longer own), Fatip Grande (no longer own), along with some others. I know this is not the the most extensive list to compare My Adjustable Feather AS-D1 against but as of now I am very happy with the shave I get from it.

21 161
 01-13-2016, 11:01 AM
User Info
Now I have another adjustable to add to the list.  I already have a Fatboy, Progress, and Futur, which are my 3 favorite razors.  Now I just need the Slim, Black Beauty, Vision, Apollo, and one of these thingamajiggers.

1 297
 01-13-2016, 11:02 AM
User Info
This is a nice looking razor.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-13-2016, 12:16 PM
User Info
(01-13-2016, 09:24 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Sorry for the delayed reply, I have been meaning to chime in but life kept on getting in the way.

This razor was made by a company in Jew Jersey and sold brands such as Doehler-Jarvis, Club and Hospital.  I have had the adjustable and non-adjustable versions and they are nice shavers.  The shim was originally attached to the base plate, but is very susceptible to breaking off as in your case.  The original handle had two arrows cast into it and they were used to align the handle with the X and O marks on the bottom of the head which would allow you to track your adjustment preferences.  A Google search using the above brands should get you more than enough information, also in Waits' "A Safety Razor Compendium".

Thanks for sharing the info. I was hoping someone would know after me seeing this thread. Wouldn't mind coming across one.

148 3,602
 01-13-2016, 12:18 PM
User Info
That is one cool looking razor! I'm loving the tic tac toe symbols it has engraved on the back Wink.

Was the brand that made this a small brand? I assume it no longer exists.

3 1,484