01-06-2016, 10:54 PM
User Info
Just curious, reading about using a de-spined GEM SS PTFE in the OneBlade Razor.  How do you de-spine this blade or can you buy them without the spine?

Thanks

10 131
 01-07-2016, 12:04 AM
User Info
Grasp the edge of the back of the spine in the center with a pair of pliers. Flex the spine back and forth a couple of times.

Off it comes. It's just that simple/easy.

It is easiest with the blades that are individually wrapped.

--Bob

0 185
 01-07-2016, 04:06 AM
User Info

The tool in the above video by Dave Irving is called a nipper. I don't have that but instead I use just basic pliers to grasp the spine and do everything else just like the video. It's very easy.

31 8,058
 01-07-2016, 04:43 AM
User Info
Very easy looking. Thanks for posting.

121 13,208
 01-07-2016, 05:19 AM
User Info
Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,132
 01-07-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
Thanks for the responses and especially the video!  Looks simpler than what I had envisioned in my head.

10 131
 01-07-2016, 09:00 AM
User Info
I removed the spine from a generic Gem type blade that I use for scrapping. It was not hard. My question is does a Gem SE blade fit the OneBlade when you remove the spin or do you still have to do modifications.

121 13,208
 01-07-2016, 09:23 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Jerry, according to Sharpspine who has a running One Blade thread, the despined Gem fits and works but does not click firmly in place like the Feather.

143 1,984
 01-07-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 09:23 AM)Shanman Wrote: Jerry, according to Sharpspine who has a running One Blade thread, the despined Gem fits and works but does not click firmly in place like the Feather.

thanks Jeff. I looked at the spineless blade and compared it to the picture of the Feather. It does look different so even if I had a OneBlade I wouldn't risk shaving with a Gem without the spine. Seems like way too much trouble.

121 13,208
 01-07-2016, 09:41 AM
User Info
It does seem like too much trouble. But I look forward to reading reports from OneBlade owners that want to test both. Please share your thoughts and comparisons, those looking to experiment.

Does a fresh GEM blade perform better than a fresh Feather blade in the OneBlade? That is the question. If so, it might be worth it to despine a GEM.

2 308
 01-07-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
It is no trouble at all to de-spine the blade. It's actually quite easy, and in my experience the quality of the GEM blade is head and shoulders above the Feather that it is more than worth the slightest bit of effort. The blade fits just fine and I will edit in a video and a couple pictures here as well shortly. No, the blade doesn't lock in like the Feather simply because the cutouts on the side of the blade are slightly different shapes, sizes, and in slightly different locations. However, the GEM blade also doesn't pull out easily. Like the Feather blade, one must actually lift up the back of the blade to disengage it in order to be able to remove it from the head. So while it doesn't lock in precisely the same as the blade it was designed for, it does seem that one of the cutouts on the GEM blade still hooks onto the blade nub inside the head. In fact, the GEM blade can be a little harder to remove than the Feather as I've had one side not release with the other causing it to come out crooked until the other side is released from the nub. This provides for a stable and solid platform with which to shave and I will say now after some use that it is as safe to use with the GEM blade as the Feather blade. Besides, as long as either blade in behind the blade stops, then the only place for the blade to move to while shaving is back, which would be away from your skin and thus remaining in the safe zone. Now, either blade can be pushed in too firmly resulting in the edge of the blade riding up and over the blade stop. This is a dangerous situation regardless the blade and should be evaluated before each shave and possibly before each pass.

[Image: 5RtnE4C.jpg]
GEM blade on left; Feather blade on right

[Image: 71YIuRF.jpg]
Feather blade protruding out the back

[Image: uVNoAM9.jpg]
GEM blade doesn't protrude out the back

Showing the GEM blade going in the razor. It's harder to do while shooting a video. Winky

31 8,058
 01-07-2016, 04:00 PM
User Info
Thanks for all of your photos, your journal, your video, and for doing the experiment on behalf of the community, Brian.  After seeing a close up of the razor it has be wishing I still had my old Henckel's Rapide.  The OneBlade - or TwoBlade Undecided  - design kind of reminds me of it, though the manner that the blade is held in place is obviously different.

[Image: Razors012.jpg]
[Image: Razors013.jpg]
[Image: Razors004.jpg]

[Image: Razors002.jpg]

61 492
 01-07-2016, 04:41 PM
User Info
That is a lovely specimen there poonjaji. I can see the resemblance that makes you think back on it.

31 8,058
 01-07-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
That is a beauty. How would you describe the shave?

~Jesse~

80 947
 01-07-2016, 08:03 PM
User Info
(01-07-2016, 05:55 PM)lestorfreemon Wrote: How would you describe the shave?

The razor shaves incredibly close, but it is aggressive in my experience. I keep reading it is difficult to cut yourself with the OneBlade, but not the case with the Rapide. It is definitely not a good razor for a newbie.

TSN member yohannrjm also owned (or owns) one and had a great thread over on B&B where he kept a journal while he shaved with it for a week with GEM blades. I believe it was aptly called "A week with the Henckels Rapide." It is worth the read if you have any interest in the razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 492
 01-07-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
Thank you very much, I will be sure to check out the B&B thread.

80 947