01-09-2016, 12:03 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 11:41 AM)shevek Wrote: I do notice some head scratching prices once in a while. But I hope we don't go crazy adding too many new rules. I think the BST at TSN is the best one in shavedom, partially due to how the site shows some faith in the community to act like gentleman.

Signs011
The members do a pretty good job of letting one another know when a price is out of line.  The less moderation the better in my opinion.

73 2,182
 01-09-2016, 01:21 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 05:43 AM)Wrathen Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 12:45 AM)rawfox1 Wrote: Can I still sell my Blackblade OneBlade for $2500?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

LOL made me smile this morning, nice cheeky comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I couldn't resist!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

17 503
 01-09-2016, 01:29 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I'll have to agree with Phil, I've noticed some BST listings at somewhat inflated prices - the most recent Paladin LE being the most obvious example.  One way to combat it would be to encourage member comment in the open thread relative to pricing.  I recall on another Forum seeing an item I'd sold for a bargain member price listed on the same BST for twice what I sold for - my comment there ended the thread (unless that worm snagged a buyer via PM before it was closed out).

That would certainly clean it up, but might cause some angst .. 

In the alternative, if negative commentary isn't to be encouraged, why allow fanboys' to post what a wonderful deal it is?  Such endorsements are common, and I think give a newbie an untoward sense of the item's worth.  This is especially true when the Roo Rahs are coming from veteran members or even moderators, unbalanced by any comments that might cast another perspective on the pricing.   And each attaboy prompts a corresponding bump reply from the poster.  

Just my humble 2 ¢, as a relatively new member here, My own preference would be to eliminate all the chatter, period.  In the alternative allow both points of view.

40 430
 01-09-2016, 03:32 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(01-09-2016, 01:29 PM)garyg Wrote: I'll have to agree with Phil, I've noticed some BST listings at somewhat inflated prices - the most recent Paladin LE being the most obvious example.  One way to combat it would be to encourage member comment in the open thread relative to pricing.  I recall on another Forum seeing an item I'd sold for a bargain member price listed on the same BST for twice what I sold for - my comment there ended the thread (unless that worm snagged a buyer via PM before it was closed out).

That would certainly clean it up, but might cause some angst .. 

In the alternative, if negative commentary isn't to be encouraged, why allow fanboys' to post what a wonderful deal it is?  Such endorsements are common, and I think give a newbie an untoward sense of the item's worth.  This is especially true when the Roo Rahs are coming from veteran members or even moderators, unbalanced by any comments that might cast another perspective on the pricing.   And each attaboy prompts a corresponding bump reply from the poster.  

Just my humble 2 ¢, as a relatively new member here, My own preference would be to eliminate all the chatter, period.  In the alternative allow both points of view.

I don't think its SELLERS who are at fault totally, as you point out a problem is financial speculation on the BST. Because shavers know that guys are going to speculate on their items it may encourage them to steeper prices so as to avoid those doing business on their hobby items?

Ravi sold a Cobra Classic for $150, a beautiful price in a great gesture to the community. Well the buyer admitted he snatched it up just to resell it but wound up liking it. lol   His first thought wasn't I want a Cobra but he is thinking about its speculative value.  In the forums of old , guys celebrated getting an item they wanted and a good value , nowadays that has  changed and speculation seems more wide spread.  That too, like high selling robs the BST of the spirit of gentlemanly exchange that's the goal. So guarded sellers and clever buyers seem to collude in turning the BST commercial when its not meant to be.

Critical comments about pricing shouldn't be encouraged, it opens the gate to the hell of a thousand member fights , bans and even more work for the mods who I suspect already have their hands full just monitoring the BST.

15 541
 01-09-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
Perhaps there should be no comments on a B/S/T thread. Only the original post. All subsequent posts via PM only. My 2 cents.

35 3,529
 01-09-2016, 06:17 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
I think that's a bit far.  There are other spots on the net with a no comment policy... Terrible environment.

10 747
 01-09-2016, 06:34 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
(01-09-2016, 06:17 PM)grantmm Wrote: I think that's a bit far.  There are other spots on the net with a no comment policy... Terrible environment.

Signs011

2 225
 01-09-2016, 06:48 PM
  • DLP
  • Missouri
User Info
lets not go overboard on this.  A simple note to the Mods (with a reference or link to the thread in question) should be sufficient if you believe someone is abusing B/S/T.  

Of course this would be easier if there was a way to send a message to the Mods as a group instead of trying to figure out who is a Moderator and which one(s) are online.  If there was a group list that we could PM then which ever Mod is online at the time of comes online next can deal with the issue.

again my 2 cents.

3 512
 01-09-2016, 07:19 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
I believe we just need to click the flag beside the posting if we were to report it ?

9 362
 01-09-2016, 09:24 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-09-2016, 07:19 PM)Devilanche Wrote: I believe we just need to click the flag beside the posting if we were to report it ?

That is correct.

45 17,227
 01-09-2016, 09:47 PM
User Info
"The reason most economists are skeptical about price controls is that they distort the allocation of resources. To paraphrase a remark by Milton Friedman, economists may not know much, but they do know how to produce a shortage or surplus. Price ceilings, which prevent prices from exceeding a certain maximum, cause shortages. Price floors, which prohibit prices below a certain minimum, cause surpluses, at least for a time. Suppose that the supply and demand for wheat flour are balanced at the current price, and that the government then fixes a lower maximum price. The supply of flour will decrease, but the demand for it will increase. The result will be excess demand and empty shelves. Although some consumers will be lucky enough to purchase flour at the lower price, others will be forced to do without."

Hugh Rockoff, "Price Controls." The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics. 2008. Library of Economics and Liberty. 10 January 2016. .

60 1,699
 01-09-2016, 10:03 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-09-2016, 09:47 PM)NSmalls Wrote: "The reason most economists are skeptical about price controls is that they distort the allocation of resources. To paraphrase a remark by Milton Friedman, economists may not know much, but they do know how to produce a shortage or surplus. Price ceilings, which prevent prices from exceeding a certain maximum, cause shortages. Price floors, which prohibit prices below a certain minimum, cause surpluses, at least for a time. Suppose that the supply and demand for wheat flour are balanced at the current price, and that the government then fixes a lower maximum price. The supply of flour will decrease, but the demand for it will increase. The result will be excess demand and empty shelves. Although some consumers will be lucky enough to purchase flour at the lower price, others will be forced to do without."

Hugh Rockoff, "Price Controls." The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics. 2008. Library of Economics and Liberty. 10 January 2016. .

If people want to buy flour at swollen prices, there is always Ebay. Tongue

45 17,227
 01-10-2016, 12:05 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 06:17 PM)grantmm Wrote: I think that's a bit far.  There are other spots on the net with a no comment policy... Terrible environment.

Can you explain what you mean by that?

35 3,529
 01-10-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info
Another forum requires that gentlemanly deals for items currently in production must reflect a discount of at least 40% from list price.  This is one way to bring objective rules into the process.  However, current production times are not the ones subject to price abuses.   It's harder to  come up with objective pricing criteria for products with limited availability, like an M&F brush or the Paladin 2015 TSN LE.  Perhaps one way is to specify that items cannot be priced above what the seller paid for them.

40 4,302
 01-10-2016, 03:57 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 03:47 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Another forum requires that gentlemanly deals for items currently in production must reflect a discount of at least 40% from list price.  This is one way to bring objective rules into the process.  However, current production times are not the ones subject to price abuses.   It's harder to  come up with objective pricing criteria for products with limited availability, like an M&F brush or the Paladin 2015 TSN LE.  Perhaps one way is to specify that items cannot be priced above what the seller paid for them.

The B/S/T on that forum has gone from a vibrant market place to being dead in the water.  In fact, I'm convinced that those restraints were put in place intentionally to kill their market.

It would be a sad day if TSN headed in that direction, and I take comfort from what sound like very reasonable comments from those that seem in charge here.

20 162
 01-10-2016, 04:52 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
(01-10-2016, 03:47 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Another forum requires that gentlemanly deals for items currently in production must reflect a discount of at least 40% from list price.  This is one way to bring objective rules into the process.  However, current production times are not the ones subject to price abuses.   It's harder to  come up with objective pricing criteria for products with limited availability, like an M&F brush or the Paladin 2015 TSN LE.  Perhaps one way is to specify that items cannot be priced above what the seller paid for them.

40% discount off the list price of current production items= Brilliance !  Provides an easy formula and one objective standard everyone can latch onto to.

I don't agree though with pricing limited edition items at what was paid for them as we all understand rarer items will cost more and seems to restrict the seller for the sake of the buyer .

15 541
 01-10-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 03:57 PM)Smoothie Wrote:

The B/S/T on that forum has gone from a vibrant market place to being dead in the water.  In fact, I'm convinced that those restraints were put in place intentionally to kill their market.

It would be a sad day if TSN headed in that direction, and I take comfort from what sound like very reasonable comments from those that seem in charge here.

+1

Let's not let the actions of a select few ruin it for everyone else.

37 1,152
 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 04:52 PM)Hanzo Wrote:

40% discount off the list price of current production items= Brilliance !  Provides an easy formula and one objective standard everyone can latch onto to.

I don't agree though with pricing limited edition items at what was paid for them as we all understand rarer items will cost more and seems to restrict the seller for the sake of the buyer .

Agreed.

140 824
 01-10-2016, 07:54 PM
User Info
Reminds me of the Floyd album
[Image: pXnNfYW.jpg]

60 1,699
 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM
User Info
There is now incentive for people who have high-demand/low-supply items to sell on eBay, thus removing those items from the TSN "marketplace." Being that eBay prices are a minimum of 10% higher due to selling fees, price controls will only cost the membership more money in the long run. It's not like people will stop seeking out these items. Price controls normally work best in short term situations. Time will tell and I hope that everything will work out in TSN's favor. At the end of the day, that is what's most important.

60 1,699