01-08-2016, 10:56 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Gentlemen,

I am a straight razor shaver and all razor enthusiast. I love shaving and all its aspects.

I cannot get a DE shave to be the same two days in a row. Weepers and irritation always on one of the days. I have tried agressive to mild razors. Sharp to not so sharp blades. Shaved with the same razor for weeks. Currently I am using an ATT R1 with the Astra blade (which has worked for me) and MdC. Today good, yesterday not bad, first day great and the next two horrible.

I am going to figure this out but if you guys have any similar experience or advice I would appreciate it.

9 462
 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM
User Info
This is amazing. I would think shaving with a straight has a very long learning curve and just the opposite with safety razors. I am only guessing but I would say you are thinking too much when using a double edge razor. Your prep is probably excellent but technique is not too good. It's not the razor your using just technique. Watch a couple of you tubes on shaving and you should be fine.

122 13,223
 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Just a random thought-Maybe your skin is sensitive to used blades?  Maybe try a fresh one for every shave (if you haven't already done so)....I know once a blade gets past two uses for me, I start to feel it.

34 1,627
 01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
User Info
(01-08-2016, 11:33 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Just a random thought-Maybe your skin is sensitive to used blades?  Maybe try a fresh one for every shave (if you haven't already done so)....I know once a blade gets past two uses for me, I start to feel it.

Good suggestion. Might I add to try using no pressure during the shave. You would be surprised how easy it is to add pressure during the shave if your not focused on it.

80 947
 01-08-2016, 12:08 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I will give a new blade a try. The most I use a blade for is three shaves. I don't think it's pressure but I am very tentative given my lack of consistency.  Lack of pressure?  I even considered stropping a DE. 

Thanks for the ideas.

9 462
 01-08-2016, 12:43 PM
User Info
How long have you been using a DE?

9 1,208
 01-08-2016, 12:50 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
As a fellow straight razor shaver I have the same issue. De shaves are hit and miss lately.. Oh well the good ones keep my coming back and trying.

3 227
 01-08-2016, 12:51 PM
User Info
I doubt it has anything to do with the blade being used.  DE blades stay pretty sharp for quite some time, provided you keep them dry after the shave and store them dry; also, quality of the shave very, very slowly deteriorates over quite a period of time (it doesn't just fall off a cliff). 

As for stropping DE blades, I palm strop my DE blades after the 5th shave and every day from there until it gets binned, which is usually between the 8th and 12th shave.  So sure, why not?  Go ahead and strop.

2 1,557
 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
I can get a wonderful irritation free shave on day one but normally if I shave the next day it doesnt go well.  My skin just needs a days rest between even after a good shave

0 49
 01-08-2016, 01:00 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Agree with everything above, but maybe it could be that blade that doesn't agree with your skin. I've tried new blades that given me weepers and don't tend use them. Let us know what happened after all the suggestions.

10 963
 01-08-2016, 01:30 PM
User Info
I'd be curious to know what your experience was like with straights.

Day after day of close shaves without any issues like you are describing?
Were those shaves as close or closer than DE shaves?
Same number of passes?
Do you feel that DE blades are sharper or less sharp than your straights?

20 162
 01-08-2016, 01:37 PM
User Info
Has it always been this way or are you rather new to DE, starting out on straights? Depending on where you at the weather may be a thing. I've notice personally that in colder, dryer months I tend to have rougher shaves and need to adjust my prep and sometimes even the razor and blade combo. Maybe it's just dryer skin. IDK. I can't see that being your consistent with straights but just thought I would toss it out there.

148 3,603
 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have been wet shaving for 2 1/2 years. I started with a DE after about 6 months but never really gave it any time. Now I'm determined like I was when starting with the straight. I guess I will have to try some different blades. 

I hear a lot about angle. I assume that means the razor to the face as the path I take with the razor is the same I would with a straight. As far as razor angle I try to mimic what I would for a straight which maybe my issue if I am off in my thinking. 
My prep is solid and does not change. I also have not added any new soaps in my attempt but allergies can develop over time. 

Thanks for the responses. I do have a lot to try. 

One last thing, I do shave everyday when using a straight. Could my skin need some adjusting to a DE?  Doesn't seem likely but this wet shaving has been a strange rabbit hole.

9 462
 01-08-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
(01-08-2016, 01:30 PM)Smoothie Wrote: I'd be curious to know what your experience was like with straights.

Day after day of close shaves without any issues like you are describing?
Were those shaves as close or closer than DE shaves?
Same number of passes?
Do you feel that DE blades are sharper or less sharp than your straights?

I also have the same questions.

As mentioned before, I've noticed with most blades I only get one good shave.. For whatever the reason is... But I suggest you shave with a fresh blade every time and see if anything changes. I've only been wetshaving for a few month but that's the trend I noticed

18 788
 01-08-2016, 02:29 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
For the straights, as soon as I could use both hands and my focus was appropriate, I was able to do daily 2 1/2 pass shaves, 3 on the weekend. That proficiency came around 100 to 150 shaves. In the beginning my face would be hot but not visually red or irritated

9 462
 01-08-2016, 04:07 PM
User Info
All have provided great suggestion. I would agree that stropping the blade wouldn't hurt. I strop my blades before every use on my forearm. If you haven't tried a Russian blade like Rapira or polsilver I would recommend it, works amazing for me hopefully it can do the same for you. They are sharp and forgiving.

I am not sure if you own an adjustable razor but if you do maybe try this... Make and use a thick lather like you would for a straight razor shave. Then use an aggressive setting at 50% or higher of what the razor has to offer. This may help bridge the gap in technique between safety razor and straight razor, having that blade feel/exposure to what you are used to with a straight. Maybe this will help you dial in your angle with the razor. Once you find the angle, keep your wrist from loosing the angle. In other words keep a stiff wrist as you glide the razor down your face, with no pressure of course. I was guilty of this myself being used to shaving with a cartage razor with the swivel mechanism, there was no technique required for that type of razor...

These are all suggestions that helped me... Hope that helps you in some way! Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 203
 01-08-2016, 05:09 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
The stiff wrist I have never tried. I use a lot of wrist with a straight.

9 462
 01-08-2016, 05:43 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Yes a stiff wrist I will be trying tonight. Never thought of that.

3 227
 01-09-2016, 02:34 AM
User Info
I can't shave every day with ATT S1/S2. My hair has no time to grow long enough for a comfortable shave.

0 23
 01-09-2016, 10:50 AM
User Info
The fact that 2 of you straight shavers are having the same problem suggests that there maybe something about the straight razor technique that just doesn't translate to DE shaving.  I've never tried it.  You may want to just think of yourselves as beginners and look at the newbie threads.  Fortunately, you won't have to worry about which soaps to buy or how to lather, etc.  

The stiff wrist, the blade angle and more or less pressure would be likely differences between the 2 shaving methods.  Are DE blades sharper than the typical edge on your straight?  Do you need more or less pressure?

On blade angle, for me its all about listening to the razor.  If I'm cutting and using the right angle, I can hear it.  In fact, when someone is running the other sink or using the shower, I have trouble shaving.

11 195