07-11-2012, 04:05 AM
User Info
In my travels I recently found this in an antique store at a price that made me happy.

It seems only used once or twice as a few blades were missing. The condition is perfect.

I've not used vintage blades. Are these useable or desirable for more than display purposed? Is there a diffference between this and an Aristocrat other than subtle knurling differences?

Thanks,

Attached Files Image(s)

2 202
 07-11-2012, 04:12 AM
User Info
Wow! Wonderful set!
That sure looks to be in pristine state! Congratulations! Thumbsup

2 5,527
 07-11-2012, 05:44 AM
User Info
Very Nice! Congratulations!

I'm not sure I can answer your question regarding the difference between the two. Happy shaving with it!

0 35
 07-11-2012, 06:03 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
That is stunning

116 3,804
 07-11-2012, 06:21 AM
User Info
That's a beautiful razor. I thought the only difference between the Diplomat and the Aristocrat was the handle knurling, but I also think I remember someone comparing their shaving characteristics a long time ago and saying he liked the Diplomat's shaving a little better. I can't really remember now.

183 12,002
 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM
User Info
Excellent catch!

1 2,827
 07-11-2012, 05:20 PM
User Info
I never thought I'd say this as my premise was alway to collect only what I use but...this one is almost too perfect to get wet!

I hate it when people boast but this one was silly cheap and I wish you all the same good fortune, really. The joy of the find equals the pleasure of posession.

Thanks

2 202
 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM
  • Sled Dog
  • Alberta, Canada
User Info
Wow thats a beauty!!! Congrats on a good score, especially at a nice price, gotta love that!
Looks like a bit of dried soap on the end..you should at least try it and then give it a good cleaning.
I would save this one for special occasions Smile

0 35
 07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
Actually the head construction is different between the 40's Aristocrat and the Diplomat pictured here.
A peek at mr-razor.com should help identify the differences in the center bar.

Nice score!

5 270
 07-12-2012, 04:12 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
I would buy an Aristocrat to shave with since your Diplomat is almost unused. Or trade it for several of the best shaving vintage razors to create a rotation....Aristoctat, Fatboy, Slim, SS, Red Tip Flare SS, Fat Handle Tech?

11 303
 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM
User Info
That is sage advice.

I must admit that I already have all the afore mentioned razors except the tech. I do have a 30s OC Aristocrat and a fat handle OC New. The 40s Aristocrat is in similar condition but has seen more use and has no case. Same is true of the Fat Boy. The Slim gets the most use as I find it the best and most comfortable shaver. Shorter and lighter razors don't feel right in my hands.

I just didn't really know what a Diplomat was (besides pretty)!

Now I'm thinking...might as well use it, That's what it was meant for!

2 202
 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
  • river1
  • Coastal South Carolina
User Info
I like the longer handles as well; it is confusing with all of the Aristocrats. You would probably like the last Aristocrat which is like the Slim but in 23 k gold and a long blue Toggle-duplicate case or the most beautiful Super Adjustable...black handle and 23 k gold head, adjustable knob, and cap end. It is rare and only made one year, 1969 O-4. They are gorgeous razors with the contrasting gold and black.

11 303
 07-12-2012, 08:29 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
The only way I wouldn't shave with a razor is if it was NOS.

The reason the lacquer comes off the gold razors is back then it was a $5 razor and they threw it in a drawer or dopp kit where it rattled around. You aren't going to hurt it rubbing it on your face! It's got soap scum on it, so it's been used. Use it and see if you like it.
You may, like I did, find it too mild. I've always thought the President and Diplomat were well named. They were for the guy that had to shave twice a day, every day and needed a mild razor.

Aristocrats have different heads and are completely different shaves.

Clean it properly with just hot water and soap, spritz it with windex (ammonia helps make gold lacquered razors shine) throw a nice blade in there and give it a go.

5 270
 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM
User Info
It's settled. Into the rotation it goes. You've given me an idea. Maybe I should try to answer my own question and do a test.

I have a 40s Aristocrat also so maybe a side by side comparison is in order:

Same blades, same soap/cream, same everything. One side of the face with the Diplomat, the other with the Aristocrat (should I alternate sides of the face with each shave?). 4-5 shaves and see if there's a discernible difference.

I've pretty much stopped using Superspeeds (except the Red Tip) due to mildness so your speculation might be true. I tend to use the Slim on a setting between 4 and 6. I don't much use the Fatboy at all any more given the Slim's performance. I also like the EJ89 and Merkur 38C in new razor medium aggressivness.

If I can muster that kind of self discipline I might actually do it!

2 202
 07-12-2012, 09:54 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I think based on what you just said, you'll find the Diplomat is good for a Friday night 5 o'clock shave. It's nowhere close to Red Tip. Let us know what you discover!

5 270
 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
User Info
Thanks for the input Ray.

Test #1 (on a 2.5 day heavy growth) starts in 10 minutes! Better go to the lobby for popcorn now and come back for the show....

I'll use a middle of the road blade like a Personna, Astra or Voshkod.

2 202
 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
User Info
Put it through the dishwasher and then start shaving with it!

0 217
 07-14-2012, 03:07 AM
User Info
Dishwasher? Never thought of that...

2 202
 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM
User Info
Very nice find. Congrats.

75 20,883
 07-15-2012, 06:47 AM
User Info
(07-14-2012, 03:07 AM)Grande Wrote: Dishwasher? Never thought of that...

Wipe that thought from your mind now.....Dodgy. All you need to do is to soak it in hot water and dishwashing liquid and give it a gentle scrub with a toothbrush. Never put razors in a dishwasher esp gold plated ones, unless you don't like the finnish.......Biggrin
Been cleaning old razors for a few years now and the only other thing I use to get soap scum off is an ultrasonic cleaner but only on nickel plated ones.

3 198