01-08-2016, 03:02 PM
User Info
Ok im pretty new to DE shaving, i shave daily so my head stays pretty smooth. I shave against the grain from the start and it usually only takes 2 passes to get bbs, little to no irritation ad rarley get a nick. I shave in the shower and my question is how do you lather? Ive been using soap, brush, and mug. I can work up a great lather in my hand but have more trouble getting a good lather on my head. I have found that a bigger brush works a little better but any suggestions or tips are greatly appreciated.

8 99
 01-08-2016, 04:15 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
My routine is to shave my head outside of the shower and then shower afterwards  - it's an awful lot easier and far less messier that way. 

I always bowl lather with larger brushes when head shaving and find that gives me more than enough lather for two passes.

33 659
 01-08-2016, 07:53 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
i shower first then shave (outside of it). i, too, go against the grain straight away but am able to get the result i want in one pass.

41 666
 01-08-2016, 07:56 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I have been shaving my head for 15'ish years. Only the last 3 wet shaving. I generally snag a shower while brush and soap are warming up then I load the brush and build the lather on my head. I use a 28mm brush and that seems to work out best.

Check out e-dub's YouTube videos he is a headshaver and similar process to me and great all around guy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 785
 01-08-2016, 08:35 PM
User Info
Rhe times I have shaved my head I've done so either before or after the shower. Just made things easier.

147 3,536
 01-08-2016, 09:03 PM
User Info
(01-08-2016, 04:15 PM)ajc347 Wrote: My routine is to shave my head outside of the shower and then shower afterwards  - it's an awful lot easier and far less messier that way. 

I always bowl lather with larger brushes when head shaving and find that gives me more than enough lather for two passes.

I should say its not actually 2 passes its more like 1 pass and a clean up pass. But thank you for the tips. I have tried a bigger brush and that does seem to help quite a bit.

8 99
 01-10-2016, 12:40 AM
User Info
I love my BBS, so I make sure to do a couple passes and a clean up. I always go ATG then WTG. It makes my head really smooth.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-10-2016, 02:53 AM
User Info
I only shave my head once a week, usually a Sunday.

I do one pass with a NEW, then ATG with a fusion pro glide ball. Takes minutes and is BBS all over.

Using a razorpit with the fusion keeps the cost of new carts fairly reasonable.

7 1,182
 01-11-2016, 06:12 AM
User Info
Everyday head (and face)  shaver.  Some days in the shower some days not.  I get the same result either way.  I almost exclusively use an Omega 10049 brush to head lather.  It holds enough for 2 passes (both ATG) and once broken in is a nice feel.  I sometimes use a DE and some times use a gillette proglide.  Same result either way, but fusion is twice as fast.  As for soaps/creams, if I have a cream or soap that is not up to snuff for face duty, and it is not something that will be sold on BST and I don't anyone I know that is need, it gets relegated to head duty.  At this time I have Cella, and proraso red and green for head duty.  I also have some palmolive stick.

90 899
 01-11-2016, 07:12 AM
User Info
I am an everyday head shaver and I shower first then shave.  One pass against the grain and then clean up any "problem" areas.  I generally use 24mm knot (badger, boar or synthetic) with whatever the soap of the day is.

0 14
 01-11-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
Every 2-3 days here. Shower first, shave out of shower.

Larger brushes, Gillette Guard, WTG, ATG, touch up

192 1,588
 01-11-2016, 08:53 AM
User Info
I too, shave at the sink, then shower after.  I head lather, and have found that I don't get very good results with boar brushes.  You also have to load about twice as much soap as most people recommend, since there's a lot more surface area on the dome than on your face.

1 297
 01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
User Info
Thanks for everyone who replied to this thread. I will do some experimenting with my routine.

192 1,588
 01-11-2016, 10:05 AM
User Info
I love the entire process is starving my head. It's relaxing and quite liberating to the soul for me. It's usually my peace time, from the family.

I use to shave in the shower, but the sink is where I'm quite comfortable and get the best results.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-11-2016, 11:07 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I generally do a 2 pass ATG then touch up. Playing with doing a WTG to see if I can get better results... So far it's the same

16 785
 01-11-2016, 01:25 PM
User Info
Thank you guys for all of the responses and great tips! I will be trying out some different techniques this week on my days off when i have a little more free time. I definitely have to figure out shaving at the sink, ive always shaved in the shower because the steam helps keep the skin and hair soft for me. I just cant seem to get the water to soap ratio down to keep a good lather at the sink.

8 99
 01-11-2016, 01:36 PM
User Info
(01-11-2016, 11:07 AM)Wrathen Wrote: I generally do a 2 pass ATG then touch up. Playing with doing a WTG to see if I can get better results... So far it's the same

I've never actually tried wtg even when i used cartridges. Ive tried xtg but never really saw a difference.  Maybe i will try wtg some time. Lol so much experimenting so little time.

8 99
 01-11-2016, 01:38 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
(01-11-2016, 01:36 PM)mattbtimeless Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 11:07 AM)Wrathen Wrote: I generally do a 2 pass ATG then touch up. Playing with doing a WTG to see if I can get better results... So far it's the same

I've never actually tried wtg even when i used cartridges. Ive tried xtg but never really saw a difference.  Maybe i will try wtg some time. Lol so much experimenting so little time.

It's definitely different and weird feeling and for the extra mental work I go no difference in the shave. 2 shaves down this way going to do one more tonight after that back to my double ATG routine

16 785
 01-11-2016, 01:43 PM
User Info
(01-11-2016, 08:53 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote: I too, shave at the sink, then shower after.  I head lather, and have found that I don't get very good results with boar brushes.  You also have to load about twice as much soap as most people recommend, since there's a lot more surface area on the dome than on your face.

I always find that i load ssurprisingly too much on my brush. I love the way badger feels but with the soaps ive had the chance to try they are a little too hard for badger and load better with a boar. Then again i only have a vdh badger and vdh boar and an omega with badger (huge and feels better than vdh).

8 99
 01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
User Info
(01-11-2016, 01:43 PM)mattbtimeless Wrote:
(01-11-2016, 08:53 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote: I too, shave at the sink, then shower after.  I head lather, and have found that I don't get very good results with boar brushes.  You also have to load about twice as much soap as most people recommend, since there's a lot more surface area on the dome than on your face.

I always find that i load ssurprisingly too much on my brush. I love the way badger feels but with the soaps ive had the chance to try they are a little too hard for badger and load better with a boar. Then again i only have a vdh badger and vdh boar and an omega with badger (huge and feels better than vdh).

I used to feel the same way.  Somewhere around my 6 month mark and getting comfortable with my first synthetic, things just changed.  I'm still not sure what it was or exactly when it was.  At some point I just realized I was able to load my softer brushes just as well as anything else, even with my hardest soaps.  Now I can load and generate great lather from my hardest soaps, even using my Plisson, which is my softest brush, both in terms of tips and backbone.  Keep working on it, and you'll probably get to the same point.  You may still prefer the boars, some do, but you won't have problems loading whatever brush you choose.

1 297