01-09-2016, 05:22 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
Hi. I'd like to know what unscented soaps do still have some scent or at least the scent of its components. I do understand that MDC unscented still has a very faint Lavander scent. On the other hand Le Peré Lucien is 100% unscented. Thanks

16 400
 01-09-2016, 06:35 AM
User Info
Many companies don't offer unscented versions, but unscented Valobra-made/tallow-AoS soaps do have that infamous clay-like/cardboard-like undertone.
TH Ultimate Comfort is marketed as unscented, but it contains and smells of lavender.
I've only used scented XPEC, but it's my understanding that unscented is rather neutral.

0 420
 01-09-2016, 07:56 AM
User Info
Mystic Water sensitive is not scented but I find it contains a very pleasant scent of the components of the soap. It is very faint but there and pleasing.  Also a very grrat shaving soap.

86 891
 01-09-2016, 09:34 AM
User Info
Cold River Select V2 Sensitive! Beside being scentless it has no coconut oil or almond oil and does not have lanolin in it either. I grabbed a tin with my order and used it yesterday. Wonderful stuff, gentle, lathers like a champ, slick and ultra good post shave.

1 127
 01-09-2016, 11:17 AM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 09:34 AM)jazzman Wrote: Cold River Select V2 Sensitive! Beside being scentless it has no coconut oil or almond oil and does not have lanolin in it either. I grabbed a tin with my order and used it yesterday. Wonderful stuff, gentle, lathers like a champ, slick and ultra good post shave.

Mine was due today but a mix-up sent Oliva instead. Larry was quick on the exchange. Despite the oops, I like dealing with these folks and expect the soap to be very good.

29 1,776
 01-09-2016, 08:17 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 07:56 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Mystic Water sensitive is not scented but I find it contains a very pleasant scent of the components of the soap. It is very faint but there and pleasing.  Also a very grrat shaving soap.

Signs011

82 21,056
 01-09-2016, 09:11 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 08:17 PM)celestino Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 07:56 AM)chromedometone Wrote: Mystic Water sensitive is not scented but I find it contains a very pleasant scent of the components of the soap. It is very faint but there and pleasing.  Also a very grrat shaving soap.

Signs011
Ditto

3 908
 01-09-2016, 09:52 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have read, though cannot confirm, that many "unscented" shaving soap contains a faint scent, strong enough to cover or mask the scent of the actual soap ingredients themselves.
Are you looking because your skin is sensitive, and you want a bit of scent without irritation?
If that is the case, I'd suggest you look not at unscented soaps, but lightly scented soaps. I'm sure there are a lot of them around, and I'd be willing to bet there are some guys on this forum who could point you to them.
La Savonniere du Moulin comes to mind as one I recently used that was mildly scent, and fantastic.

2 1,683
 01-09-2016, 10:06 PM
User Info
Mike's unscented has a distinct scent of its components.  

In regards to MdC unscented, it has a faint, yet pleasant scent.  Of the 3 MdCs, the unscented is my favorite.

10 338
 01-10-2016, 12:18 AM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 09:52 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I have read, though cannot confirm, that many "unscented" shaving soap contains a faint scent, strong enough to cover or mask the scent of the actual soap ingredients themselves.
Are you looking because your skin is sensitive, and you want a bit of scent without irritation?
If that is the case, I'd suggest you look not at unscented soaps, but lightly scented soaps. I'm sure there are a lot of them around, and I'd be willing to bet there are some guys on this forum who could point you to them.
La Savonniere du Moulin comes to mind as one I recently used that was mildly scent, and fantastic.

Unfortunately, Goggle is not our friend in this case, because you will see conflicting opinions about the definitions of "fragrance free" and "unscented".  My understanding is that "fragrance free" means that the product is entirely free of any ingredient that would be considered a fragrance additive, synthetic or natural.  That doesn't mean that the product won't have an odor, because most ingredients have some scent of their own that will come through in the finished product.   But if you suspect that you are sensitive/allergic to fragrance components, then looking for a fragrance free product is a good place to start.

I know that in the personal care/home cleaning industries, an "unscented" product is allowed to have a fragrance additive IF the purpose of the additive is only to cover up the natural scent of the product and give a neutral result, not to make it smell like anything in particular.  And although fragrance is supposed to be listed as an ingredient on labels, if it is present in a very small amount as a "masking" agent, it doesn't even have to be listed on the label at all.

Personally, I use "unscented" as synonymous with "fragrance free" in my products, meaning no added fragrance ingredients of any kind.  If you have questions about a particular product, you should contact the person who makes it and ask them.

0 272
 01-10-2016, 03:41 AM
User Info
The only shaving product that I've ever tried that was, to my nose, completely devoid of scent was XPEC unscented. Though admittedly, I haven't sampled my unscented shaving products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,196
 01-10-2016, 04:39 AM
User Info
The only real unscented cream I still own is Xpex Original formula unscented. It has no scent.

24 5,839
 01-10-2016, 04:55 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-10-2016, 04:39 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: The only real unscented cream I still own is Xpex Original formula unscented. It has no scent.

+1. Literally NO scent.
(Careful using "Original" bc that's actually the name of the scented line regardless of reformulation...though I know you meant the first formula with parabens)

57 2,541
 01-12-2016, 04:35 PM
User Info
The only truly unscented product that I've tried is XPEC unscented. Other than that, as noted above, Mystic Water Sensitive Skin has a lovely scent that is produced solely by the ingredients listed on the container. And though I haven't yet tried them, SdM, MdC both make unscented products that have an excellent reputation. It's fairly rare for products to be completely unscented like the XPEC however, so do expect some sort of vague fragrance coming from the ingredients.

Incidentally, Nero makes a good point above.

3 1,484
 01-12-2016, 04:52 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
Meissner Tremonia "Pots of Milk" hard soap has almost no detectable scent, at least for my nose, not even a soapy odor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 464
 01-12-2016, 04:54 PM
User Info
I should add that another approach would be to buy any soap you want and then leave it uncovered for a few years or so Wink. It should cause the scent to noticeably deteriorate.

3 1,484
 01-12-2016, 05:16 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Like the B&M copy states, their unscented smells a bit "sheepy" until it's used for a while and then it dissipates. Shannon's and Valobra imo have a faint clay-like scent which is not at all unpleasant. Mama Bear's was imo very glycerine-y. The one that I find is truly unscented is LPL. The next unscented on my to-try list is Stroppe Shoppe (sorry if it's misspelled). I've heard good things about it.

4 1,912
 01-12-2016, 06:20 PM
User Info
I just looked over our site, and we use "unscented" to mean that there is no added fragrance. We also list our ingredients so there's no confusion.

0 1,053
 01-12-2016, 06:29 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 12:18 AM)Mystic Water Wrote: Personally, I use "unscented" as synonymous with "fragrance free" in my products, meaning no added fragrance ingredients of any kind.  If you have questions about a particular product, you should contact the person who makes it and ask them.

(01-12-2016, 06:20 PM)Shannon Wrote: I just looked over our site, and we use "unscented" to mean that there is no added fragrance.  We also list our ingredients so there's no confusion.

Thanks for the clarifications! This is very helpful to your many customers.

3 1,484
 01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
St. James unscented cream is still "Lavender and Geranium" but i have a hard time getting any scent out of it. I really enjoy the performance of St. James, and I would highly recommend it.

0 517