01-09-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
I received my New LC with a Fat Tech handle yesterday and shaved with it this morning.  Picture on post #16 on THIS THREAD.

For reference, I've been shaving with a Muhle R89 Twist and a Slim set on 4-6, been DE shaving about 5 months, and have large hands.

When I opened the box, it looked tiny.  I thought someone sold me some kind of toy version.  I had to put a blade in it to convince myself that is was full size.

First shave went fine.  I loaded it with a GSB and lathered with Mystic Waters.  I don't know if it is really more aggressive than my Muhle - not really any closer shave results.  But, I did feel the blade more.  I also had some spots where there was shave cream left behind after a stroke.  It definitely felt like a small razor, but balanced.  I can't quite see putting a heavier handle on it, though I understand that people do.

What is surprising (at least from 1 shave) is that my neck feels less irritated than usual.  I had a good all-over tingle from my alum bar, but no specific bad spots. 

I am going to use it all this week to get a feel for it.  I'd appreciate any advice on how to optimize a shave from this little razor.

11 195
 01-09-2016, 10:57 AM
User Info
Congratulations on picking up a Gillette NEW.  For me, it's on of my favorite razors, easily providing an efficient and mild shave.

After a few more uses, you'll have it dialed in and are in for a shaving treat.

3 460
 01-09-2016, 05:06 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
(01-09-2016, 10:57 AM)redrako Wrote: Congratulations on picking up a Gillette NEW.  For me, it's on of my favorite razors, easily providing an efficient and mild shave.

After a few more uses, you'll have it dialed in and are in for a shaving treat.

Gillette NEW SC is in my rotation, one of my favorite razors. It supplanted my EJ89 -- for me it is a little more aggressive/efficient, i.e., closer shaves with less effort. For me there's a bit (or a lot) of learning curve with any new razor I get. I think you will enjoy it, too. Legendary razor.

12 166
 01-09-2016, 10:04 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I love my LC New. Beautiful shaver, beautiful gold finish. Lovely tool for shaving with.

2 1,697
 01-11-2016, 08:52 AM
User Info
News are great. Put a bulldog handle with mine and its amazing

2 359
 01-11-2016, 12:27 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Keep us posted on your experience with the NEW.  I haven't tried one yet, but I prefer OC razors.  I think you'll like it more after you use it a few times and get used to it.

3 587
 01-11-2016, 12:48 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
New Deluxe is the best of Gillettes, for me. I couldn't find one in nice condition, yet. Please keep us posted!

0 1,053
 01-11-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
I like my New LC a lot.  The OC does take a little getting used to, but then again, so does any razor that's new to you.  I've got no specific tips beyond encouraging you to keep at it.

0 1,099
 01-12-2016, 05:44 AM
  • UnCL3
  • Dallas, TexUS
User Info
I love the shaves I get from my LC New. It's right up there with my 2 favorites (New and Improved and Fatip Piccolo).

3 61
 01-12-2016, 12:42 PM
User Info
The NEW is among my favourites.

0 32
 01-14-2016, 08:48 AM
User Info
The New is one of my favorite vintage razors.

16 1,982
 01-14-2016, 09:26 AM
User Info
I agree, they feel really small.  You should try one with a standard Bar handle.  I found them surprisingly gentle as well.  I don't think mine is any more aggressive than my DE89.  I've tried mine with various handles now.  The problem for me is balance.  I like the feel of a heavier razor, but when it's handle heavy it makes the shave a little more awkward.  I've just gotten comfortable using it with the bar handle most of the time.

1 297
 01-15-2016, 07:23 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 09:26 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote: I agree, they feel really small.  You should try one with a standard Bar handle.  I found them surprisingly gentle as well.  I don't think mine is any more aggressive than my DE89.  I've tried mine with various handles now.  The problem for me is balance.  I like the feel of a heavier razor, but when it's handle heavy it makes the shave a little more awkward.  I've just gotten comfortable using it with the bar handle most of the time.

They're not only small, but kind of light.  Only 54 grams on my postal scale. But it has a cool minimalism with the design - and very attractive. And it has smooth, but aggressive feel.

1 35