01-09-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
I had an epiphany today while shaving. Few days late of course but non the less spectaculair. Normally I have a lot of trouble shaving with any system, doesn't matter if it's with a DE/SE or catridge razor. I het nicks and weepers. I have seen more mentions of this on the forum people with tuff hairs and sensitive skin. I just learnt to deal with it. Even with my elektrical shaver I had some irritation and even some scuffs. The only thing that could give me a decent BBS without drawing blood is the straight razor. Only problem with that is that it takes to long in my daily routine. Love to use a straight on slow weekend days, but a bit impractical before going to work.  So usually I just grab a DE razor and just deal with a few weepers. This is also a reason to stay away from agressive razors. I have some vintage adjustable Gillette razor witch I never use past setting 5 and a view other razors that are also very mild. Today I was in an adventurous mood and a used a Muhle R 41 head on one of my Ikon handles. I see in reviews that this razor is moderatly agressive so I was expecting to get cut. But to my astonishment I got an easy BBS with only 2 passes and no need for touch ups. Usually on a good day it takes at least 2 and sometimes even 3 passes with touch ups. And no blood! Could it be that I, without knowing it I have been using to much pressure on my mild razors and that a more agressive razor could be a better optioneel for me? Has anybody else ever noticed this or is it just me?
And what could be my next option? Even more agressieve razors? Does anyone have a sugestion? Can't wait to try it again tomorrow and see if I was just lucky today or if it truely was a breaktrough.

Groetjes Tobias

0 11
 01-09-2016, 09:58 AM
User Info
I was always worried about tying an R41 due to possible being too aggressive. One day I said heck with it and bought one. I loaded it with a feather blade and proceeded to have a fantastic shave! A couple days later I went back to a milder razor and wound up with a rough, irritating shave. I then realized that I was making more passes and applying more pressure to try and get that shave I received with the R41.

Being that your accustomed to the quality and closeness provided by a good straight you may be doing too many passes and or to much pressure with out even thinking of it. Your trying to get the quality shave you get from your straight. I hope the R41 works for you and continues to provide you with great shaves. Keep us updated on your progress.

148 3,601
 01-09-2016, 11:33 AM
User Info
I'd say to experiment with blade gap. Pick up an adjustable razor like a Merkur Progress & dial it up.

31 8,058
 01-09-2016, 11:44 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
(01-09-2016, 09:42 AM)Tobias Tobit Wrote: I had an epiphany today while shaving. Few days late of course but non the less spectaculair. Normally I have a lot of trouble shaving with any system, doesn't matter if it's with a DE/SE or catridge razor. I het nicks and weepers. I have seen more mentions of this on the forum people with tuff hairs and sensitive skin. I just learnt to deal with it. Even with my elektrical shaver I had some irritation and even some scuffs. The only thing that could give me a decent BBS without drawing blood is the straight razor. Only problem with that is that it takes to long in my daily routine. Love to use a straight on slow weekend days, but a bit impractical before going to work.  So usually I just grab a DE razor and just deal with a few weepers. This is also a reason to stay away from agressive razors. I have some vintage adjustable Gillette razor witch I never use past setting 5 and a view other razors that are also very mild. Today I was in an adventurous mood and a used a Muhle R 41 head on one of my Ikon handles. I see in reviews that this razor is moderatly agressive so I was expecting to get cut. But to my astonishment I got an easy BBS with only 2 passes and no need for touch ups. Usually on a good day it takes at least 2 and sometimes even 3 passes with touch ups. And no blood! Could it be that I, without knowing it I have been using to much pressure on my mild razors and that a more agressive razor could be a better optioneel for me? Has anybody else ever noticed this or is it just me?
And what could be my next option? Even more agressieve razors? Does anyone have a sugestion? Can't wait to try it again tomorrow and see if I was just lucky today or if it truely was a breaktrough.

Groetjes Tobias
They do not get more agressive than the R41. I get the closest shaves with no irritation. The R41 will expose any flaws in your prep or technique so be careful.

48 684
 01-09-2016, 11:51 AM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 11:33 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'd say to experiment with blade gap. Pick up an adjustable razor like a Merkur Progress & dial it up.

I did this and it helped me get my perfect setting. Now I no longer draw blood. I also experimented with different blade during this time. So I was able to get a good combination that works for me.

30 470
 01-09-2016, 11:54 AM
User Info
Aggressiveness of the R41 depends on what version you own. The 2011 version is very aggressive, the 2013 version a lot less. For real aggressiveness, try a Roedter.
Personally, I don't think aggressiveness is anything to be scared of. If anything, using an aggressive DE makes you a better shaver: it forces you to concentrate on technique.

3 109
 01-09-2016, 12:34 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 11:54 AM)efsk Wrote: Aggressiveness of the R41 depends on what version you own. The 2011 version is very aggressive, the 2013 version a lot less. For real aggressiveness, try a Roedter.
Personally, I don't think aggressiveness is anything to be scared of. If anything, using an aggressive DE makes you a better shaver: it forces you to concentrate on technique.
I don't exactly know what version I have because I only got the head but I acquired it last year. Don't know if it was old stock. How could one tell the difference?

0 11
 01-09-2016, 12:42 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 11:51 AM)amaro5211 Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 11:33 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: I'd say to experiment with blade gap. Pick up an adjustable razor like a Merkur Progress & dial it up.

I did this and it helped me get my perfect setting. Now I no longer draw blood. I also experimented with different blade during this time. So I was able to get a good combination that works for me.

That's great. Have you tried an aggressive SE razor such as the OCMM or Clog Pruf? What about a Mongoose?

31 8,058
 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM
User Info
Yes I did try the OCMM with a GEM blade. Think my technique on that razor needs a bit more adjusting. Got quite some irritation.
Mongoose is a bit to expensive at the moment.
Do not own a Clog Pruf, only other SE I have is a Everready 1912 (maybe a Jr? Not sure). Where does that stand on the agrassive scale?

0 11
 01-09-2016, 12:54 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 12:34 PM)Tobias Tobit Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 11:54 AM)efsk Wrote: Aggressiveness of the R41 depends on what version you own. The 2011 version is very aggressive, the 2013 version a lot less. For real aggressiveness, try a Roedter.
I don't exactly know what version I  have because I only got the head but I acquired it last year. Don't know if it was old stock. How could one tell the difference?

Here you go.

3 109
 01-09-2016, 01:04 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 12:50 PM)Tobias Tobit Wrote: Yes I did try the OCMM with a GEM blade. Think my technique on that razor needs a bit more adjusting. Got quite some irritation.
Mongoose is a bit to expensive at the moment.
Do not own a Clog Pruf, only other SE I have is a Everready 1912 (maybe a Jr? Not sure). Where does that stand on the agrassive scale?

I would say the 1912 is mid-aggressive.

31 8,058
 01-09-2016, 01:20 PM
User Info
Haven't tried it yet but it's on par with the R41 in aggrassiveness?

0 11
 01-09-2016, 01:26 PM
User Info
I have only had an R41 for ten days after shaving for close to ten years with a long handled Merkur Slant and Feather blades.

I have had to add a long heavy handle to the R41 head, but now I have it right. What amazing closeness and stripping power! I don't shave every day now I have retired, so the R41 betters the Slant. If I need to shave daily any week I will revert to the Slant.

The Feast of the Epiphany (The Revealing) (12th Night) was Wednesday. In the Western Church it's about the story of the Wise Men, but in the East, the Orthodox Church themes the Baptism of Christ. In places where there is enough water they take the Altar Cross and throw in in the river or the harbour and the young men have to dive for it. Who will commit their R41 to the deep?

(Relax: in these faithless days the priest always ties a string to it before casting it in the water!)

0 42
 01-09-2016, 01:33 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 01:26 PM)Labarum Wrote: I have only had an R41 for ten days after shaving for close to ten years with a long handled Merkur Slant and Feather blades.

I have had to add a long heavy handle to the R41 head, but now I have it right. What amazing closeness and stripping power! I don't shave every day now I have retired, so the R41 betters the Slant. If I need to shave daily any week I will revert to the Slant.

The Feast of the Epiphany (The Revealing) (12th Night) was Wednesday. In the Western Church it's about the story of the Wise Men, but in the East, the Orthodox Church themes the Baptism of Christ. In places where there is enough water they take the Altar Cross and throw in in the river or the harbour and the young men have to dive for it. Who will commit their R41 to the deep?

(Relax: in these faithless days the priest always ties a string to it before casting it in the water!)
So I said in my first post: my epiphany was a few days late as far as I know the story it's on the 6th of january.
Didn't know about the cross diving, learning new things every day!

0 11
 01-09-2016, 01:52 PM
User Info
(01-09-2016, 01:33 PM)Tobias Tobit Wrote: So I said in my first post: my epiphany was a few days late as far as I know the story it's on the 6th of january.
Didn't know about the cross diving, learning new things every day!

Not late at all!  The Epiphany starts of the 6th of January and is a season lasting till we crash into Lent on Ash Wednesday. Early this year, 10 February, in the West.

Time yet for a few more Epiphanies/Revelations!

Of course in Russia the Church uses the Old (Julian) Calendar - so it's only 27 Dec 2015, and you have plenty time!

0 42
 01-09-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
And more stuff I didn't know Wink . Hopefully I take advantage of the extra time for more Revelations.

0 11
 01-09-2016, 03:23 PM
User Info
I prefer an aggressive razor and a smooth blade. E.G., ATT Atlas H1/H2 & Gillette silver blue.

29 1,207
 01-10-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
I use the merker 34c.  I used to use featherlite razor blades, but they would cut my face all the time.  I switched to persona and don't cut my face nearly as much.  It is more of a blade thing for me.

0 173
 01-10-2016, 12:26 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 11:39 AM)asiliski Wrote: I use the merker 34c.  I used to use featherlite razor blades, but they would cut my face all the time.  I switched to persona and don't cut my face nearly as much.  It is more of a blade thing for me.
Not with me, do usually get a bit more nicks with a new feather blade. I tried a whole lot of different blade types Derby Astra, Personna, Merkur, Feather to name a few. No real difference in the nicks and weepers departement for me. My guess at the moment is that a less agressive razor makes me use extra pressure to get BBS. I'll keep on exploring.

0 11
 01-10-2016, 01:44 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
You might consider trying an iKon Shavecraft 102. I like my Merkur slants, but the 102 brings the whole slant-shaving experience to a completely different level for me.

113 1,544