01-09-2016, 06:26 PM
User Info
I'm fairly new to SE's but have been using DE's / lurking for a number of years.

I apologize if this has already been posted but I haven't seen it anywhere, so here goes.

Some time ago, I purchased a user-grade French wedge blade razor that also accepts GEM and Feather blades with a spine added. A number of you have the same razor, I think - it was produced for a number of sellers, usually with the name of the city. I was cleaning mine the other day when I realized that it was really a slant razor - when the handle is unscrewed a little, there head can tilt from side to side - not unlike a Fasan DE, I think. Since the handle sits in a ball and there's a slit for handle to slide in, it obviously was designed this way. I've attached a couple of photo's to show what I'm talking about - sorry for the poor quality of the photos.
Again, sorry if this has been posted before, I just hadn't seen anyone mention a slant SE and thought I'd bring it up.

[Image: aFFO52X.jpg]
[Image: NHLiNJR.jpg]
[Image: IygGnZI.jpg][Image: O6OjNiW.jpg]

0 58
 01-09-2016, 11:47 PM
User Info
Interesting razor. What brand is it?
It looks a bit like my Aiglon or Marduk, except they're not slants. Only other SE-slant I know of is the Ras, which just has the head diagonally on the grip. This mechanism is more like some other french slants, such as Kabrand.
You've actually made me a little jealous :-)

3 98
 01-10-2016, 12:31 AM
User Info
Perhaps 'skew' is a better way to describe this - looks interesting though. Have you tried to shave with it with the head tilted like that?

3 4,374
 01-10-2016, 04:54 AM
User Info
Pretty neat looking razor! Same question as Wegman, have you tried it yet?

147 3,465
 01-10-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
That is pretty cool looking let us know your thoughts on the shave when you get around to it.

~Jesse~

80 947
 01-10-2016, 01:16 PM
User Info
It's been awhile but my recollection of the shave was that it OK but definitely not in my top 5 so I didn't really play around with it that long. It was a fairly aggressive shave for me, much more so than a Damaskene, which I like.  I don't like GEM blades (splined Feather's are OK). The head took a little while to get used to but can't really say whether it added anything to the shave. One of these days I may try a wedge blade in it but since I don't ever plan on using wedge blades for any length of time I've never wanted to go down that path. Same with straights. 
The only wedge-type razors I've ever liked were a Henckels Rapide and a LeCoultre Vulcano for different reasons. The Louis also gives a decent shave, but again not in my top 5.

I'll give the razor another spin in a week or so and see if my opinion has changed and let you know.

0 58
 01-10-2016, 01:18 PM
User Info
Cool looking razor!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 01-10-2016, 02:59 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
Nice find. First time I have seen one, thanks for the post.

80 464
 01-10-2016, 07:53 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I've inadvertently made a makeshift slant with my Cobra Classic on more than one occasion! It's relatively easy to miss load the blade if you are in a rush and not paying proper attention. The resulting harsh feeling quickly illustrates the error. Only one tab correctly inserted into the corresponding gap on the blade with the other unsecured end sitting forward creating an increasing and angled blade exposure. While I suspect there might be a greater efficiency directly proportional to the increasing blade exposure, it does provide for harsh and irritating results!

99 18,011