01-10-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
Hi Everyone,

I have used three DE blades, Merkur, Featherlite, and Persona.  Persona is my favorite because it is sharp but forgiving.  Merkur seems dull to me and feather blades always leave me bloody.  Do you just have to try enough blades to get the one that fits your face? Are there brands that generally seem superior to others? 

Thanks.

0 134
 01-10-2016, 12:20 PM
User Info
I am relatively new to wet shaving.

0 134
 01-10-2016, 12:53 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
For me YMMV 

I am a straight razor shaver struggling to become proficient with a DE. Not only  have I had issues with certain brands, different razors will not work for me with favorites. I like Astras in my fatboy and EJ89. I don't think I like them in my ATT. I think you have to find what works for you. YMMV as they say.

7 438
 01-10-2016, 01:28 PM
User Info
I had to try a lot of different blades before I found a set up that worked for me. Like you feathers are way too sharp for me as well. A member turned me on to Poli-Silvers and those have been my go to blade for some time now.I have been very happy with them, but still from time to time put in a different blade just to try it out. 

To me thats one of the many fun things about wetshaving...the variety and scalability you have.

24 470
 01-10-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 12:15 PM)asiliski Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I have used three DE blades, Merkur, Featherlite, and Persona.  Persona is my favorite because it is sharp but forgiving.  Merkur seems dull to me and feather blades always leave me bloody.  Do you just have to try enough blades to get the one that fits your face? Are there brands that generally seem superior to others? 

Thanks.
There are a zillion different blades out there, and everyone seems to have an opinion of what is best for them.  Those opinions vary QUITE A BIT.

So you probably just need to try a whole bunch of blades.

I think there are lots of opportunities to try sampler packs with many different blades.  I'd go down that road if I were you.

20 162
 01-10-2016, 04:43 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
You bought two extremes in the corrugated tin roofing material AKA Merkur and the samurai sword sharp feather. Welcome to the club. I think everyone encounters these two beasties starting out and 999 out of 1000 hate Merkur and 50% get along with feathers without being flayed alive. Another highly regarded ( and expensive) Japanese blade are KAIS  without the throatcutting reputation. Russian made POLSILVER/SUPER IRIDIUMS are highly regarded ( can you get them in the current political atmosphere)? everything else falls somewhere in between and seem dependant as much on finding a magic blade and razor match. It's almost alchemy but part of the learning curve.

2 3,171
 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Blades are the most personal elements in the shavedom, I guess. Everyone has their own preferences. I have tried many blades that were someone's favorites but ended up not liking them at all. GSBs are highly regarded blades and I met them recently. I regret my days not giving them a chance.

0 1,053
 01-10-2016, 06:33 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
MHO.
every blade will be different to every face. There are blades that many on the forums think are terrible, that work for my face, and that I love.
There are very popular blades that I can't understand why they are so popular; they seem average to sub par to me.
Yes, I believe you need to try a good many, and see what YOU like. No one on the face of this planet can tell you which blade is best for you; it is a road you have to walk yourself. Enjoy the journey!

2 1,683
 01-10-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 04:03 PM)Smoothie Wrote: There are a zillion different blades out there, and everyone seems to have an opinion of what is best for them.  Those opinions vary QUITE A BIT.
So you probably just need to try a whole bunch of blades.
I think there are lots of opportunities to try sampler packs with many different blades.  I'd go down that road if I were you.

Signs011

82 21,056
 01-10-2016, 07:38 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Try a variety of the more recommended (or positively discussed) blades and you'll soon discover one that works for you.

As for the ones you've tried, Persona is discussed positively, Merkur not so much so your experiences are already mirroring the norm...

99 18,011
 01-10-2016, 08:00 PM
User Info
I also suggest trying as many different blades as you can. 
They can be such an individual thing that what works for many may not work for you, or it could be the other way around. 

I get along with a lot of different blades but I have noticed a blade I really like in one razor is not as good in another razor. 
So do take into account these variables. 
Also one crappy shave with a blade doesn't mean they are no good, it could be a bum blade or just a bad day. 

Good luck with your hunt for a great blade.

3 108
 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
One of the things you may find also is that blades that did not work for you in the beginning may end up being great performers for you 6 months or a year down the road, after you have  more experience shaving.
So don't throw them out. Set them aside and go back and revisit them a good while down the road. You may be surprised.

2 1,683
 01-11-2016, 07:29 AM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 08:51 PM)SRNewb Wrote: One of the things you may find also is that blades that did not work for you in the beginning may end up being great performers for you 6 months or a year down the road, after you have  more experience shaving.
So don't throw them out. Set them aside and go back and revisit them a good while down the road. You may be surprised.

Good advice.  

There are many factors that go into a close, comfortable shave, and as you learn new things and acquire new products on the non-blade front, blades that may not have worked in the past may become just the ticket.

20 162
 01-11-2016, 07:43 AM
User Info
Get a blade sampler it helps to nail down what you like and eventually you'll be able to predict if you'll like a blade by just knowing your preferences and by reading a review. But even if that doesn't happen, you'll know whether you like a given blade by trying it.

It's not at all unusual to be mystified that blades that are clearly superior for me can be disliked by others and vice versa. But that's just the way it is. Only you have your face and your technique.

Now having written that there are some blades that a majority of folks like. Generally they are the sharp and smooth blades. Polsilver, SuperMax, Personna hospital blades, and others.

After you've tried a blade from a sampler don't get rid of the rest. Hold onto them. As your technique changes what you like for blades could also change. You might want to retry blades that didn't work in the past. Like the Feather... yes, it's sharp and not very smooth, but it's useable. I don't like them because they're only good for 2 shaves and the price if it's what it was years ago as compared to "better" blades.

32 6,445
 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM
User Info
All very interesting.  I really like the persona so i'll stick with those and try a new blade every now and then.  It's too bad that I cannot get blades in a brick and mortar store these days.  The internet it is.

0 134
 01-11-2016, 08:57 AM
User Info
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned them yet, but I use http://www.tryablade.com when I want to test new blades.  You can buy them in smaller quantities that way, rather than needing to buy an entire tuck (or more).

These are the top 10 most recommended blades based on my own research.
Astra Superior Platinum
Feather
Polsilver Super Iridium
Gillette Silver Blue
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black)
Personna Lab (Blue)
Personna Platinum (Red)
Personna Med Prep
Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow)
Voskhod

1 296
 01-11-2016, 11:54 AM
User Info
(01-10-2016, 12:15 PM)asiliski Wrote: Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

You will never know unless you try as everyone's experience will be just slightly different. For me Polsilver Super Iridium and Gillette Silver Blues work the best, but that might not be the case for you.

Get a sampler pack and shave away and let us know of your experience.

80 947
 01-11-2016, 02:47 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I would recommend trying a few, but I would suggest trying Polsilver if you like Personna. I just did a make your own sampler pack at Maggard Razors. They have a decent selection and quick service.

3 531
 01-12-2016, 02:25 PM
User Info
I've tried about 40 blades over the years.  There is not substitute for trying as many blades as possible to see which ones work best for you.  There are so many opinions out there that one can get overwhelmed.  What matters is what works for you, and not what others may say about a blade, be it good or bad.  I have found that there is no relationship whatsoever between the cost of a blade and whether it works for me.

48 5,715
 01-12-2016, 05:06 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Go here     http://www.tryablade.com/   get at least two or three of each type you select and have at it.
P.S. a little research might help
http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/educ...blade.html

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/educ...lades.html

7 2,279