01-11-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
Over the years, I've come across posts in which someone describes the exact brush I own as having scritch.  However, when I analyze my brush, I find scrub but no scritch whatsoever.  One explanation for this is that we all have different skin sensitivity and preferences as to what we like to feel on our face.  Another explanation is the inherent variations in badger hair, even within the same grade from a manufacturer.  However, it seems to me that another plausible explanation has to do with definitions.  Are scritch and scrub two words to describe the same thing, or are they two different things.  I think they are two different things but some people may use them interchangeably.  What some call scritch is perhaps scrub.

For me, scritch is the prickly feeling I get from a pure badger brush.  Scrub is the amount of friction I feel from the brush.  Scritch is unrelated to density and backbone, as even a brush that lacks density and is floppy can have that prickly feeling.  Scrub is related to density and backbone, as a brush that lacks those characteristics cannot generate sufficient friction to be scrubby.  However, scrub does not become scritch, no matter how excessive the friction may feel.  A brush may have so much scrub that it feels like wire bristles on your face and is irritating, but that is not scritch.

By way of examples, I believe that some Simpson Best brushes can be labeled as having scritch.  However, Simpson Manchurians and Shavemac D01 2-bands have a lot of scrub, but not scritch.

How do you define scritch and scrub?

50 6,106
 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM
User Info
Scrub is the functional correlate of backbone. A brush with more backbone will be scrubbier. In this way, the opposite of scrubby is floppy. If you've used a deep-set two-band badger of moderately high quality, you know what backbone feels like. The face feel conferred from strong backbone - is scrub. In comparison, think about a high-lofted silvertip or better yet a synthetic. They are so floppy that the fibers splay on contact, conferring zero scrub.

Scritch is similarly easy to define by comparison IMO. Synthetic brushes to me are the definition of no scritch. All other parameters aside, I have not used any badger brush as cloud-soft as a Plisson synthetic. So is a badger brush scritchy in comparison? Technically yes but you have to get above a certain threshold for it to actually be bothersome. I agree with you that scritch is that prickly feeling. Low-quality badger brushes and also unbroken boar brushes tend to be very prickly, and this can actually be irritating or painful to the thin skin of the face.

16 1,027
 01-11-2016, 12:29 PM
User Info
I believe that I am on the same page as you. I think of scritch as the prickly unpleasant feeling I get from a brush. Scrub can be a pleasant feeling depending on the tips but I agree that it is the feedback (friction) I get from the brush. 

Scritch is something undesirable while scrub is usually desirable, but it can be too much for some.

80 947
 01-11-2016, 12:35 PM
User Info
The term scritch is given to the act of gently scratching, while scrub on the other hand means to rub (something) hard with a rough object or substance and often with soap in order to clean it.

I like a brush with a bit of scritch. I would not shave with a brush that scrubbed. YMMV and all that.

3 4,510
 01-11-2016, 01:00 PM
User Info
Yall pretty much nailed it.

2 359
 01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
User Info
Keep it simple:

Scritch: A sharp, needle-like sensation which most would say is uncomfortable.

Scratch: A blunt, "dull" sensation which most would say is comfortable.

Backbone level increases or decreases the level of scritch or scratch and knots can have a mixture of the two, to varying degrees.

Backbone increases or decreases with loft, density and brush type.

Scrub is the totality of backbone, scritch or scratch. I.E. - a wire brush scrubs and a microfiber cloth scrubs........

0 122
 01-11-2016, 01:18 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Did you mean "Scrub" instead of "Scratch"?

113 1,497
 01-11-2016, 01:26 PM
User Info
My definitions:

Scratchy = the sensation of the brush tips scraping against the skin in an unpleasant manner

Scritchy = the sensation of the brush tips scraping against the skin in a mildly unpleasant manner (or mildly pleasant depending on preference)

Scrubby = the sensation of a brush with strong backbone pushing against the skin independent of tip softness

5 229
 01-11-2016, 01:35 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Scritch - annoying prickle from otherwise soft brush
Scratch - for itches not shaving brushes
Scrub - that soft massaging feeling a brush may contain as it lays lather down. (Simpson chubby)

7 451
 01-11-2016, 01:56 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
For me:

Scritch/Scratch - The unpleasant needle like feel of the tips on the face when pressure is applied for face lathering.

Scrub - The pleasant feel of a brush with good backbone and soft tips when pressure is applied while face lathering

The 3 badger brushes I have that have no scratch/scratch, soft tips and excellent backbone are an SOC 2 band, Simpsons QEII Jubilee Manchurian and a Shavemac Silvertip 2 band (not the DO-1 2band) . Great badger brushes for face lathering imo.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-11-2016, 02:01 PM
User Info
(01-11-2016, 12:24 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Over the years, I've come across posts in which someone describes the exact brush I own as having scritch.  However, when I analyze my brush, I find scrub but no scritch whatsoever.  One explanation for this is that we all have different skin sensitivity and preferences as to what we like to feel on our face.  Another explanation is the inherent variations in badger hair, even within the same grade from a manufacturer.  However, it seems to me that another plausible explanation has to do with definitions.  Are scritch and scrub two words to describe the same thing, or are they two different things.  I think they are two different things but some people may use them interchangeably.  What some call scritch is perhaps scrub.

For me, scritch is the prickly feeling I get from a pure badger brush.  Scrub is the amount of friction I feel from the brush.  Scritch is unrelated to density and backbone, as even a brush that lacks density and is floppy can have that prickly feeling.  Scrub is related to density and backbone, as a brush that lacks those characteristics cannot generate sufficient friction to be scrubby.  However, scrub does not become scritch, no matter how excessive the friction may feel.  A brush may have so much scrub that it feels like wire bristles on your face and is irritating, but that is not scritch.

By way of examples, I believe that some Simpson Best brushes can be labeled as having scritch.  However, Simpson Manchurians and Shavemac D01 2-bands have a lot of scrub, but not scritch.

How do you define scritch and scrub?
I think you have described it the same way I would!

0 174
 01-11-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
Loved reading this thread, found out that Bob H and I have the same definition

Scritch/Scratch - The unpleasant needle like feel of the tips on the face when pressure is applied for face lathering.

Scrub - The pleasant feel of a brush with good backbone and soft tips when pressure is applied while face lathering

26 470
 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
I would define it the same way. Or very simply put:
Scritch - bad
Scrub - good

20 102
 01-11-2016, 02:56 PM
User Info
Scritch is the uncomfortable prickle that has been described nicely already.

My take on scrub is that it is the inverse of soft. Soft implies flexible fibers, especially at the tips. Scrub on the other hand implies firmness of the fibers/tips. So if there was a scale, it would look something like this, where a knot falls somewhere within:

Softest |--------------| Scrubbiest

Scratch is something else. Like sharp fingernails against your skin. Not pleasant.

40 1,166
 01-11-2016, 06:17 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
As the OP says.

37 1,863
 01-11-2016, 06:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2016, 01:35 PM)jtmke Wrote: Scratch - for itches not shaving brushes

24  Agreed!

99 18,011
 01-11-2016, 07:44 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Also: the debitage and refuse post shave is properly FLOTSAM and JETSUM.

2 3,171
 01-11-2016, 07:58 PM
User Info
(01-11-2016, 01:26 PM)jarick Wrote: My definitions:

Scratchy = the sensation of the brush tips scraping against the skin in an unpleasant manner

Scritchy = the sensation of the brush tips scraping against the skin in a mildly unpleasant manner (or mildly pleasant depending on preference)

Scrubby = the sensation of a brush with strong backbone pushing against the skin independent of tip softness

I agree with this definition

24 5,971
 01-11-2016, 08:04 PM
User Info
FYI my first Shavemac D01 2-band Silvertip brush from 2012 was not only scrubby, meaning it felt like a mop of hairs massaging your face quite intensely, it was also scritchy in a very unpleasant prickly way. When you used it you just waited for that sting from one of the hairs to hit you like a wasp sting.

24 5,971
 01-11-2016, 08:15 PM
User Info
I have had a few D-01 2-Band knots that were unbearable and, definitely, scritchy; not as bad as a wasp's sting, but prickly enough to be uncomfortable.

Scrub is just fine with me and scrub with some light scritch is also fine.

83 21,081