01-11-2016, 07:10 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Usually around this time of year I reflect on the purchases I've made and the items I'd still like to own.
As with the vast majority, I don't have an unlimited access to resources and am unlikely to ever quench the desire for further acquisitions.
Brushes are an area that I've invested in heavily and thoroughly enjoyed doing so.
However, a few years ago I reached the point of ridiculousness and started culling ruthlessly.
I sold many brushes that I regret parting with, but at the same time I still have more than I can justify.
I discovered a hair grade I prefer and a handle shape that feels most comfortable.
I generally gravitate to those brushes with the characteristics I like best and neglect the rest.
The issue for me is the uniqueness of those rarely used brushes.
Quite honestly they are nice additions to an already oversized collection, but they are becoming increasingly akin to hoarding rather than experiencing.
When reducing my holdings, I rationalised that brushes were functional works of art and that they were most enjoyed when used rather than admired from a cabinet.
So with the theme of practicality at heart I'm attempting again to balance blind passion.

Do I stop purchasing? Unlikely... Forum participation inadvertently encourages spending.
Best to risk regret, consolidate and add the occasional new item guilt free by financing it from the sale of my existing collection.

I haven't experienced the same regret with razors. 
Anyone else experience difficulty in letting their brushes go?

99 18,011
 01-11-2016, 07:21 PM
User Info
I try not to be a collector.  I only keep brushes that I like enough to rotate through evenly.  If I don't like a brush to use it as much as my other brushes, it does not merit a spot in my shave den.  Using this approach limits how many brushes I keep.  I still have too many brushes, but they each get equal, although infrequent , use.

48 5,718
 01-11-2016, 07:21 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I've ended up with a few of your regrets, so I'm at least thankful for that. Smile

In all seriousness, I have more razors, brushes, handles and software than I'll ever use, and I have sincere attachment to almost all of them. I have two brushes on the block right now, and I have serious anxiety about it. They are both incredible brushes that just don't see enough use to justify keeping them.

One thing that helps me over my anxiety and regret is thinking about the use that others will get from them. Much like some of your regrets have become some of my treasures, I take comfort that someone else will get more use out of something great than I do. This is the primary reason that I'm somewhat selective about who I sell to. I've never sold a brush on eBay, as most of the members here will cherish my former treasures. I would much rather sell a brush at a less expensive price to someone who will truly appreciate it, rather than to sell to someone who is going to treat it like a commodity.

22 824
 01-11-2016, 07:25 PM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
I'm going through it now.  I love my brushes, but wound up with so many that many would just sit in the cabinet looking pretty.  I finally decided on a number that I can't go above.  Now, if I want a new brush, then I have to let one go.  And it's been pretty painful letting some of them go, but I love trying new things outs.  I guess that limiting my inventory/collection with a definite number was probably the best thing I could do.

42 581
 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM
User Info
Letting go of razors and brushes doesn't bother me at all, but I've kept a mostly minimalist approach from the beginning. I have had one good razor and two nice artisan brushes for over a year now. I find pleasure in the pursuit of a perfect routine and technique.

6 84
 01-11-2016, 07:35 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I certainly have difficulty in letting brushes go...

When I first started the journey that took traditional shaving to the next level with its various AD's, I made a lot of purchases, and then settled on specific preferences.  This caused me to sell off a bunch of my stuff as I thought I found my "ideal setup."  However, as time went on, I came to discover that what I truly enjoy is variety.  And while I may reach for a specific handle shape or hair type quite often even for a period of months, I know I will eventually move on to another "theme."  Therefore, these days, the only things I may get rid of are either duplicates, or more recent acquisitions that are not working for me for one reason or another.  However, it did take me a lot of time, money, and reflection to discover my preferences and I certainly let a few brushes and razors go that I regret.  

And now, I justify my purchases by "oh, I don't believe I have anything like that..."  Tongue

And while I hope that I am now wiser with my purchases, the fact is my spending is cyclical and sometimes I'll go a month where I buy 4-6 brushes, and then I'll go on a 5 month streak of being content.  I gave up on the guilt from spending and just let it go, however I found it more challenging to let go of the guilt I feel when I think of something special that I had and sold  Blush

34 1,628
 01-11-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
For me the key to control my spending was to stick to the practice of only buying what I can finance through the sale of my gear.

I was at one point up to 6 high end badgers and a Wolfman. I now have 2 high end badgers and the Wolfman, BBS-1, King Cobra and a Oneblade. All the new razors financed through the sale of the brushes.

This method really works for me as I no longer have to explain mysterious charges to the wife Smile and it allows me to control my spending.

~Jesse~

80 947
 01-11-2016, 07:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
How many people park their cars on the street because the garage has become storage for pink lawn flamingos, wedding photos of the son now twice divorced and a half built homebuilt gyrocopter? How many of us have collections that defy logic and worry our crazy aunt; the hoarder shares a common gene? My apt has wall to wall carpeting: the grey-brown soulless synthetic wonder material you wonder how it can still show dirt and Pyewacket's accidental upchucking of human food he wasn't supposed to eat. So what do I have sitting in my closet; tightly rolled and mothballed? Persian rugs; 5 of them I dearly love but cannot display. keep a few, if only to satisfy your soul.

2 3,171
 01-11-2016, 08:12 PM
User Info
If my brushes don't photograph well, then I don't have much of a regret, at all! Biggrin 
Seriously though, brushes are probably the most difficult thing for me to part with as they are works of art that compliment my photos, so very well and if I had the resources, I would have more of them.

82 21,056
 01-11-2016, 08:20 PM
User Info
Im basically creating me final sets. Will have 18 sets. Thats razor brush and soap. Sounds kinda crazy but i do have issues lol

2 359
 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM
User Info
I don't have a collection anywhere near some of you, but in there are a Simpson Major in Best (the travel brush) and a Chubby 2 in Best. 

These days when I travel I only ever take a synthetic, and at home if I want to use a badger brush I only ever reach for a silvertip.  I find I very rarely use the CH2, and never use the Major these days.

Could I sell them or give them away?  Yep, but I probably won't until I run out of space. While they have a sentimental value I'd be happier seeing someone else enjoy them.

But it certainly means I am more selective about the brushes and fibres I purchase these days to keep a lid on it.

Ben - I will keep an eye out for your listings.  The CONUS restriction that you so often see stops me participating in a lot of buy/sell/trades.

1 81
 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM
User Info
I have a steady rotation that I am happy with. In the beginning I was just buying to build up my collection. Now I know what I haven't been using and started the tedious process of thining down my heard. I keep only the few items that I know work for me and I started to sell off some of the items that I will realistically not use more than a few times a year. As of today I have not regretted Any item I have sold because I know the people that purchased my items gave them a good home and are using them more than I could ever.

25 470
 01-11-2016, 10:14 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Are you referring in part to the Rooney XL trio? I have a regret and it is not simply going for it on that sale instead of second guessing the price. 

This is why I try to hold on to what I believed were my truly unique and irreplacable items ( group buy Chief, Paladins, soft Simpson 2-band etc). Even if I gravitate towards using specific brushes I get mired down in the "what if preferences change and this won't be available again?!!!"

10 753
 01-11-2016, 11:10 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I love every brush I own. At least a third  of them are vintage brushes I restored, so there is an attachment there as well. I have given a few away. Even that was difficult.
But I use every brush I own in a regular rotation. I love the variety, and they would be sad just sitting somewhere, not being used. If I ever have one I don't use, it will end up in someone else's hands.
MHO.

2 1,683
 01-11-2016, 11:16 PM
User Info
Admitting you have a problem is the first step  Biggrin 

I go through the same thing myself. I did two things 

1. Reduce the quantity of brushes that I buy

2. Reduce the quantity of brushes that I sell 

For me there is almost no point in keeping all of them since I typically just use whatever came in the mail last anyway. But I enjoy them and consider it a hobby so I have a few stashed at the moment  Wink 

I really enjoyed your post Ben thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure if I clicked on the right link or not because I didn't see a post with 10 manchurians in it  Rolleyes

61 1,710
 01-12-2016, 12:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-11-2016, 11:16 PM)NSmalls Wrote: Admitting you have a problem is the first step  Biggrin 

I go through the same thing myself. I did two things 

1. Reduce the quantity of brushes that I buy

2. Reduce the quantity of brushes that I sell 

For me there is almost no point in keeping all of them since I typically just use whatever came in the mail last anyway. But I enjoy them and consider it a hobby so I have a few stashed at the moment  Wink 

I really enjoyed your post Ben thanks for sharing. I wasn't sure if I clicked on the right link or not because I didn't see a post with 10 manchurians in it  Rolleyes

Check the BST soon...  Tongue

99 18,011
 01-12-2016, 03:57 AM
User Info
Never regret anything that made you happy Ben. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.  Wink

1 632
 01-12-2016, 04:57 AM
User Info
Nice post, Ben.  I can relate to a lot of things that you've said.  In particular, "forum participation inadvertently encourages spending".  I just bought a new Thater as a result of reading through a Thater appreciation thread.  In fact, as I read your post I'm thinking "I wonder what hair grade and handle shape he's talking about?"  

But I thoroughly enjoy trying new brushes and I don't have any difficulties letting brushes go.  So far I've owned 16 brushes; I have six now as I traded, PIF'd or sold the rest.  I've only sold one brush that I end up buying back at a later time.  I've also offered to buy back a brush I previously sold.  I'm just glad shaving brushes hold their value, for the most part.

20 102
 01-12-2016, 05:00 AM
User Info
(01-11-2016, 07:25 PM)ddk13 Wrote: I'm going through it now.  I love my brushes, but wound up with so many that many would just sit in the cabinet looking pretty.  I finally decided on a number that I can't go above.  Now, if I want a new brush, then I have to let one go.  And it's been pretty painful letting some of them go, but I love trying new things outs.  I guess that limiting my inventory/collection with a definite number was probably the best thing I could do.

I have a rule that's a variation on this.  I allow myself to go one over my limit to try a new brush, but after a few weeks I have to sell something and consolidate down to my limit.

52 1,175
 01-12-2016, 05:16 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I only keep what I use, but I am more of a find something that works and stick with it guy.  My suggestion is if you feel like you have too many brushes to buy more, then buy whatever new brush you may want and try it out.  If you like it more than one of your existing brushes, sell that brush.  If you like your existing brushes more than the new one, you can sell the new one.  That way, you won't have regret over selling a brush and buying another one you don't like as much.

3 533