01-12-2016, 03:00 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
So I'm thinking about adding another brush to my very limited collection. In order to help with getting a good recommendation I'll list what I want in a brush then below that I'll list what brushes I have or have tried and what I thought about them that might bare on the situation, then at the bottle I'll list what I was thinking about getting. As always if you want more clarification or whatever please ask. Here is what I want: 
  • 28mm or larger
  • Good Backbone (so twoband)
  • No skritch/prickly brush
  • Fairly Dense 
  • face lather 100% of the time (build lather on head then shave face)
  • Be nice if it has a pretty handle but not required (cobalt, amber, coral, etc ... NOT disco)
Have/Have Used list:
  • Shavemac D01 28mm x 52mm (fan), 167 handle: Was very prickly but has calmed down (after 20+ shaves), I like the backbone on this, knot size is great, love the handle
  • MHWoodshop w/ TGN finest knot, 26mm by 51mm (bulb): Great face feel nice and soft but feels small on my face and very small on my head, I wish it had more backbone and was bigger knot, also be nice if it was denser, seems not to hold the amount of lather my D01 does
  • Semogue SOC Boar: Soft and stupidly floppy, knot is VERY small, but when I'm in the mood I enjoy its s
  • Shavemac twoband silvertip 26mm: only shaved with in once or twice do I dont remember it well but I remember it was too small but was soft with decent backbone (cant remember if I wanted more or not, only got to shave twice with it)
  • Simpsons Chubby 2 3band super: really enjoyed the backbone and density, w/ nice soft tips, but wish it had a but more scrub, I miss this brush but the handle wasnt the best for me
  • I have had a few other small and floppy brushes before this that I just all and all didnt like.
What I was thinking about:
  • Simpsons Chubby 2 Manchurian: I enjoyed the 3 band but wanted a bit more scrub and willing to give us some softness, everyone raves about these brushes
  • Paladin Falstaff: I LOVE the look of these, 90% of the reviews are good though everyone once and a while someone seems not to like it. Handles and AWESOME and can come in some wonderful looks, but not sure if the knot is what I want and I dont understand the difference between Blonde vs Finest, etc
  • Paladin PK47: I love the look of this handle but can you get one in a 28mm knot? otherwise same as above
  • Thater 4125/ (3 or 4) 2band: I'm not sure why I'm drawn to these but I am, I have heard though they can be a bit floppy but I'm not sure if that is what I would consider or just what those that love really stiff brushes think. I have also heard of people having them put into custom handles with lower loft and getting more backbone ... I normally like a fan type shape but reading the Thater read makes me thing IF i go with a Thater I should get a bulb, I like the looks of the handle but never used one that shape so no telling (but it is slightly blah)
  • M&F 2XL: These seem very well liked but not sure about the differnce in Blonde vs Finest (I know Sabini makes both the Paladin and M&F knots). As much as I have read about them, I'm still lost
Well thanks everyone for reading my "Wall of Test" and thank you in advance for any recommendations, thoughts, or advice.

-Phillip aka Wrathen

16 785
 01-12-2016, 03:07 PM
User Info
If you are worried about the Thater being too floppy you may want to consider a custom two band Shavemac, as you could request your preferred loft for the knot.

Ps. The current Shavemac two band knots are really great. Not sure how long ago you tried the Shavemac you mentioned.

8 845
 01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
(01-12-2016, 03:07 PM)Dinder1 Wrote: If you are worried about the Thater being too floppy you may want to consider a custom two band Shavemac, as you could request your preferred loft for the knot.

Ps. The current Shavemac two band knots are really great. Not sure how long ago you tried the Shavemac you mentioned.

not sure how long ago the 2band silver tip was made but I tried it 6 months or so ago and it was a Rudy Vey brush.

16 785
 01-12-2016, 04:29 PM
User Info
Apparently the current batch of Manchurian hair is really really good. So if you're looking for one, now is the time to buy.

0 517
 01-12-2016, 04:33 PM
User Info
Wiborg  if you don't go with simpsons manchurian

2 359
 01-12-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
(01-12-2016, 04:29 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Apparently the current batch of Manchurian hair is really really good. So if you're looking for one, now is the time to buy.

The current batch of Simpson's Manchurian? How do we distinguish between current and previous batches? For instance, if I order from the website today, which batch will I be receiving?

3 1,484
 01-12-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
(01-12-2016, 04:43 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 04:29 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote: Apparently the current batch of Manchurian hair is really really good. So if you're looking for one, now is the time to buy.

The current batch of Simpson's Manchurian? How do we distinguish between current and previous batches? For instance, if I order from the website today, which batch will I be receiving?
I don't think it's an exact science on the consumer side, but our compatriot e_dub buys and sells a lot of simpsons manchurian chubbys. As of a few days ago, he's got a few brushes en route that are from one batch that is, according to him. A little different than the typical Simpson's Manchurian. The tips are apparently softer and more uniform.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 01-12-2016, 05:03 PM
User Info
(01-12-2016, 04:59 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 04:43 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:

I don't think it's an exact science on the consumer side, but our compatriot e_dub buys and sells a lot of simpsons manchurian chubbys. As of a few days ago, he's got a few brushes en route that are from one batch that is, according to him. A little different than the typical Simpson's Manchurian. The tips are apparently softer and more uniform.

Thanks for the information! Is e_dub a certain YouTube reviewer by chance?

I'm not sure I could tell apart batches of one particular hair grade just by feel and by eyeballing it. Very impressive. That takes some experience.

3 1,484
 01-12-2016, 05:04 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Phillip, save yourself a time and shoot a mail to Mark. The latest Manchurian batch left me speechless. It is scrubby, big and as dense as it gets.

0 1,053
 01-12-2016, 05:11 PM
User Info
(01-12-2016, 05:03 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 04:59 PM)DamnitGoose Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 04:43 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: The current batch of Simpson's Manchurian? How do we distinguish between current and previous batches? For instance, if I order from the website today, which batch will I be receiving?

Thanks for the information! Is e_dub a certain YouTube reviewer by chance?

I'm not sure I could tell apart batches of one particular hair grade just by feel and by eyeballing it. Very impressive. That takes some experience.
You are indeed correct

0 517
 01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Another vote for Simpson Manchurian...  Angel

99 18,011
 01-12-2016, 05:37 PM
User Info
Varlet Mega.

18 654
 01-12-2016, 05:44 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
With your preferences, I agree, Simpson Manchurian Chubby 2 or 3.

37 1,862
 01-12-2016, 06:01 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Your going to want need a Simpson Manchurian in a Chubby 2 or 3. They are the best!

28 1,622
 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
+1 to the Varlet Mega

0 517
 01-12-2016, 06:30 PM
User Info
The Thater may not have enough backbone for you.  I would consider a Shavemac in either silvertip 2-band or D01 2-band.  You can customize your diameter and loft, which you can't do with any other manufacturer.  If you like Simpson Manchurian, I find it similar to Shavemac D01 2-band.  Or you can just go with a Chubby 2 Manchurian.

50 6,097
 01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
User Info
Current Manchurian is great. I've had both the chubby 3 and the chubby 2 in Manchurian and both are outstanding brushes, but I now lean towards more ergonomic, longer handles.

I would recommend a Manchurian chubby 2 or a Vie Long Epsilon brush.

I've never seen or used a Paladin Falstaff but I would love to get my hands on one! If you can get one, go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 315
 01-12-2016, 08:25 PM
User Info
(01-12-2016, 06:40 PM)JLB2287 Wrote: Current Manchurian is great. I've had both the chubby 3 and the chubby 2 in Manchurian and both are outstanding brushes, but I now lean towards more ergonomic, longer handles.

I've never seen or used a Paladin Falstaff but I would love to get my hands on one! If you can get one, go for it!

I've been tempted by the Manchurian Chubby 2 models on the website for some time. Unfortunately I simply can't stand that fake-looking Italian marble look. I'm not sure why, but that's one of the most aesthetically repulsive patterns I've yet seen on a brush (no offense to anyone - YMMV). 

Maybe it just looks weird on the site.

3 1,484
 01-13-2016, 07:50 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
(01-12-2016, 08:25 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 06:40 PM)JLB2287 Wrote: Current Manchurian is great. I've had both the chubby 3 and the chubby 2 in Manchurian and both are outstanding brushes, but I now lean towards more ergonomic, longer handles.

I've been tempted by the Manchurian Chubby 2 models on the website for some time. Unfortunately I simply can't stand that fake-looking Italian marble look. I'm not sure why, but that's one of the most aesthetically repulsive patterns I've yet seen on a brush (no offense to anyone - YMMV). 

Maybe it just looks weird on the site.

I'm not a fan of the Italian marble look ether. From all of them I have seen the Amber is my all time favorite but also the Cobalt, Jade & Ebony look good

16 785
 01-13-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
Agreed the Cobalt is on my short list because its an all time favorite....but its on my wife's no list

26 470