07-12-2012, 03:16 AM
User Info
The razor in question is the one y'all helped me identify and put a blade into.

[Image: OldSE15.jpg]

The razor is a beuty, and knowing the guy who used to own it and some of his history - in particulary some of his exploits as part of the Norwegian Resistance in WW2 - certainly adds it's own flair to the experience of using it.

The only downside is... I can't get it to give me a good shave. I can get a near BBS shave on my face with it in a single stroke, but once I get to my neck.... lets say I haven't had this much razor burn and weepers since I started traditional wetshaving. I'm not sure if it's the blade flexing - the original blades were certainly thicker and more rigid than the modern GEMs - or if it's just me not being able to hold the EverReady at the right angle down low on my neck. At any rate it is a real shame, since I would really enjoy using this historic razor... but for now I'll have to put it aside. Who knows, I might give it another go in a few months and see how I fare then?

3 3,562
 07-12-2012, 10:38 AM
User Info
Hmmm, very curious, and not good. Not the experience lots of us get with that razor. Even if it ultimately doesn't work for you, it's still a piece of gear to be treasured for whose it was.

The blade pictured isn't the one you used is it?

If so, I'll send you a few modern SE blades if you PM your address. (I don't keep addresses, maybe I should start doing so)

32 6,309
 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
User Info
It is odd... I'm planning to take the razor to the metal working workshot at the airbase to check against their surface plate - if the razor have gotten a bent comb it may explain why I can't get a good shave. If it is straight... well, then the blame is squarely on myself and lacking technique / skill.

As for blades, I have a little too much respect for a piece of history like that to use the vintage blades... besides, who knows what might have gotten on those blades in the close to a century since they were made? I used a modern GEM blade per the recommendations of several people in the first thread I linked to, and bought from the UK. Is is the blade pictured below:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=3459]

I haven't given up on this beautiful razor - I'm too stubborn for that. I have however decided to wait a while before giving it another go.

3 3,562
 07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
User Info
Hello Hans,

I have found with any SE, blades are are really a YMMV. While most people love the PTFE coated and stainless blades I personally cannot use them.

The only blades that are agreeable for my skin are carbon. The require more work but they are more forgiving.

I wish that I could help you out in locating carbon blades in Norway, but I only know of the store brands here in the US.

I do know that carbon blades are still being manufactured by American Safety Razor and Treet.

Good luck.

5 833
 07-12-2012, 11:38 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have one of those and the Ever Ready blades do NOT have notch..they are straight on the edges...they are not GEM type blades..not any thicker but cut to fit under the notches...picked up a box of 12 on E-Bay ..unused and factory boxed..said 6 for .30 cents. Also unlike the GEM blades there is no cut out in the middle of the blade. Hope this will help

6 1,913
 07-12-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
Harvey, as mentioned in the original thread I got the dozen original blades that came with the razor... but they are old and has some sentimental value to me.

If anyone have a source for a modern equivalent that don't cost and arm and a leg, I wouldn't mind learning about it - the other theory of mine is that the GEM (which others here says should work in an 1914) is flexing too much.

3 3,562
 07-12-2012, 12:50 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
(07-12-2012, 11:55 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Harvey, as mentioned in the original thread I got the dozen original blades that came with the razor... but they are old and has some sentimental value to me.

If anyone have a source for a modern equivalent that don't cost and arm and a leg, I wouldn't mind learning about it - the other theory of mine is that the GEM (which others here says should work in an 1914) is flexing too much.

I think Razor Blades and More sell FEATHER SE Blades..they might be the ticket.Idea

6 1,913
 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM
User Info
Hans, those cut outs really don't affect anything. The blade should be held by the cover (It snapped shut right?) and the inner spring at the back of the cover. There should be far less flexure than a modern DE blade. When the blade is in place with the cover closed it should be held tightly. You probably know all of that already intuitively.

The other alternative would be having someone purchase CS blades and ship them to you. PM me if that interests you. I have no idea what they cost anymore, and I used mine up, so I have none to send. But they are readily available locally. I can get a price tomorrow when I'm in town if you let me know you're interested.

There is one other possibility. Are you certain that they are shave quality blades and not window scraper blades? They look identical. That's why I get my SE blades from a medical/lab supplier. Well, plus they are far less expensive in bulk.

Want to try some guaranteed good for shaving blades? And compare them?

32 6,309
 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You can also get at TED PELLA inc 200 Carbon steel NO Notch SE blades for $12.10 US....that will most likely work...check it out..I think they ship all over (medical supply and lab equipment)Idea

6 1,913
 07-12-2012, 02:51 PM
User Info
(07-12-2012, 01:07 PM)Harvey Wrote: You can also get at TED PELLA inc 200 Carbon steel NO Notch SE blades for $12.10 US....that will most likely work...check it out..I think they ship all over (medical supply and lab equipment)Idea

Those are "standard duty", ie. window scraper blades.

32 6,309
 07-12-2012, 03:13 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Maybe they are BUT check out the others I have 400 and I was trying to find a similar looking no notch blade ...Ted Pella IS a Medical Supply company

6 1,913
 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM
User Info
I bought the blades from Connaught Shaving in the UK - on one side of the rib it's stamped GEM, on the other it's stamped STAINLESS. They also sell Feather SE blades with no spine - would they fit the razor? If so it might be worth picking some up and trying. At any rate I'll try a new blade the next go-around, just in case the current one is a dud.

Kind of strange though that the blades look the same as window scraper blades... you would think the manufacturers would mark them differently Tongue

The lid does snap down securely - I just put the blade back in after looking at the markings and it all but took my fingers off. The spring in the back works too, the blade is definitely pushed forward against the little bumps near the front of the razor.

The gap I'm talking about.
There is a gap about 0.75mm wide between the blade and the comb, and the blade will flex down when I push on it with my finger. It does look like the gap is part of the design though, as it's even all the way across.

I'm not willing to give up on this razor yet - too stubborn Biggrin

3 3,562
 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
My Ted Pella Coated Gem blades read exactly the same. I believe the Ted Pella Gems and the Connaught Gems are the same blades.

eric

6 132
 07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
User Info
Hans, in use the blade isn't flexing down, only against the cover that's holding it down, or pushing back against the spring that's pushing it forward against the stops. Your cover did slam down like a trap when it was closed, yes? It if didn't it isn't the way it should be. Only if you're making an non-cutting motion can it flex down. That shouldn't be a problem.

I never tried the SE Feathers designed for Valet razors in any of my other SE razors. I don't have a dull one to examine and compare to a SE blade. But I have heard whispers that adding a spine from a used blade to the Feather makes it useable in SE, but I never tried that; never had the need. One would need to measure things so as not to destroy a razor. There is that spring at the rear of the cover, and I don't know what hurts it. But yours looks pristine and the Feather blades are a relatively new blade on the scene...relatively.

I still think you may have gotten a bad blade. Not even the packaging is different from window scraper blades. It's Identical and if someone not in the know grabbed the wrong box no one would ever know. Until they were used. I can take a pic of an Industrial use blade box if you want, but they are identical to the boxes that can be used for shaving. They really don't make bulk SE blades for shaving (medical lab instead). Someone discovered that that's what they were and we were off.

IMO, that razor should not have done that to you. I've been accused :-) of suggesting that '14 razor is mild while others think it's more aggressive than that, but still, you're an accomplished shaver. It shouldn't have done that IMO. That's a razor I grab when I want a decent shave w/o being forced to concentrate on the shave.

I just went to my nook and did a bunch of nosing around and comparing. An old blade of the time also flexes easily as you flexed the modern blade. The modern Feather Spineless blade would require a spine to work in it; at best. I won't try it in my razors, but a spine might make them work and fit properly.

Tomorrow I'll use my '14 in honor of your experience, with a blade with lots of shaves on it. As I set that up, I realized something else about the "sharp for shaving" GEM blades... sometimes the first shave on one is the worst. After that they calm down and perform fine. Maybe that's what you experienced. That's the way GEMs act for me, too sharp for first use, so I go really easy with them and get weepers anyway since the razor shaves so close and my skin has divots in it. After that the blade gets better, but still not where one can allow attention to wander until a few shaves get on the blade. That might be what you experienced.

But enough of that. The offer of comparison blades stands, but get more mileage on that blade first and see if it gets better with more shaves.

Question about the resistance fighter who owned the razor... Did he know or work with Max Manus? That's pretty heady stuff if he did. Too cool! I don't know, maybe museum quality if so. There are plenty of ER '14s but one that I know of that was in the Norweigian resistance, specially if he knew/worked with Max Manus.

32 6,309
 07-12-2012, 11:21 PM
User Info
I assumed the blade wouldn't flex in use - if it did, it would be a bad design. The lid snapped down like a bear trap, so it is holding the blade rigidly in place.

It may be a dud blade - I have to try it again and compare to another one from the batch I got to know - or it might be me. I sort of doubt that Connaught even stock the non-shaving blades, so I don't think it's very likely they sent some window scrapers by accident. And as I said, I got close to a BBS on my face - the problem area was my neck. A rotten blade would - I think - given me a horrible shave all over.

I'll let you know how my next encounter with the '14 ends out... I will be paying extra special attention to the angle while shaving.

As for Finn - the family friend I inherited the '14 from - he was doing his work in Bergen while Max Manus was active around Oslo. So while they did briefly meet after the war, they didn't know each other. MilOrg - the armed section of the Norwegian Resistance - had about 40000 to 55000 men under arms at the end of the war, so Finn was just one hero among many.

3 3,562