01-14-2016, 12:56 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
So I did a bit of good old Google searching and unless I'm just missing it or my search terms were good. I cant find anything about the average guys surface area for his face vs his head. 

SOOO you might ask why it matters or I can. Well I got to thinking about it when reading through DE blades threads. If when talking about blade longevity and someone gets "5-7 shaves a blade" well that's a good number for a face shaver ... BUT how would that translate to a face & head shaver like me? My best guess going just by guess would be the head & under neck would be at least 2 times more surface area than the face and neck under the chin. So if someone was going to get 6 face shaves from a blade, then 2 full head and face shaves would be about the same.

Has anyone seen anything about this before ... or am I just being crazy and bored thinking about it?

15 773
 01-14-2016, 12:59 PM
User Info
Not seen anything before, but logically it makes sense. But you also might be crazy bored  Biggrin

80 947
 01-14-2016, 01:05 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Or bored crazy

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

7 2,281
 01-14-2016, 01:14 PM
User Info
I have always figured the same thing. I head shave , have a goatee and shave the rest of my face/neck.
Most times I feel like my blades last three shaves at most. That's a lot of surface area though.
Other blades I use twice and pitch.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

1 94
 01-14-2016, 01:42 PM
User Info
You forgot about the other variable.  How many passes for each shave?  I have the shaved head, goatee profile myself.  I've always equated a head shave as equal to about 2 face shaves.  But I do three passes on my head and typically only one on my face so...I just pitch the blade after one full head shave and one full face shave.  Keeps it simple.

1 297
 01-14-2016, 04:59 PM
User Info
This would also depend on the size of the head. If you look like this guy then I see even less uses for that blade!

[Image: DJO4Uel.jpg]

147 3,465
 01-14-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
As a head and face shaver, I can generally get 2 or 3 decent full shaves from a DE blade.

0 14
 01-14-2016, 07:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I think the only reference materials are some old German texts courtesy of herr hitler's expeditions using morphological measurements to determine
the measure of people's worth. There are so many variations you might as well measure your own. Incidentally; that obnoxious box for ethnicity listing whites as 'Caucasian'? Shicklegruber's pseudo scientists determined the Aryan populations of the Caucasus were the most perfect of humans and the
term found it's way into the  eager vocabulary of our own insecure social consciousness and political aspirants with ridiculous combovers and orange tans to bolster their whiteness.

2 3,171
 01-14-2016, 08:06 PM
User Info
Huh...new thing to think about..

25 470
 01-14-2016, 08:26 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 07:53 PM)kav Wrote: I think the only reference materials are some old German texts courtesy of herr hitler's expeditions using morphological measurements to determine
the measure of people's worth. There are so many variations you might as well measure your own. Incidentally; that obnoxious box for ethnicity listing whites as 'Caucasian'? Shicklegruber's pseudo scientists determined the Aryan populations of the Caucasus were the most perfect of humans and the
term found it's way into the  eager vocabulary of our own insecure social consciousness and political aspirants with ridiculous combovers and orange tans to bolster their whiteness.

We're still talking about shaving right?

1 297
 01-14-2016, 08:34 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
(01-14-2016, 01:42 PM)gwsmallwood Wrote: You forgot about the other variable.  How many passes for each shave?  I have the shaved head, goatee profile myself.  I've always equated a head shave as equal to about 2 face shaves.  But I do three passes on my head and typically only one on my face so...I just pitch the blade after one full head shave and one full face shave.  Keeps it simple.

I don't do any facial hair and do a 3 pass face and 2+touch up head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 773
 01-14-2016, 08:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Yes, I merely offered my academic training in anthropology to explain the dearth of information beyond discredited source materials.

2 3,171
 01-14-2016, 09:27 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
If I use a DE blade for my daily head and face shave it lasts for 3 days (Feather, Personna, Polsilver, Iridium)

If I use a Feather Pro/Super Pro/Dorco/Kai blade in my Feather Artist Club razor then it lasts a whole week.

28 1,433
 01-14-2016, 09:56 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 08:37 PM)kav Wrote: Yes, I merely offered my academic training in anthropology to explain the dearth of information beyond discredited source materials.

I thought it was an interesting point. The "size of head" joke made me think of phrenology.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 09:13 AM
User Info
I have actually wondered the same thing, especially being so new to de shaving ive wondered if i was changing blades too often, if my blades were just not the right fit for me, only getting 3 or so shaves from each then started thinking about the fact that i am shaving my head and neck therefore most likely dulling blades a little faster then if it were just face.

8 99
 01-18-2016, 09:30 AM
User Info
More surface area, will for sure, make the blade work harder, therefore, you won't have as many shaves with that one blade,while shaving your head.

That being said, I actually got 20 great shaves with a Supermax Titanium blade last year, for my head! I have a beard, so I don't really shave my face. But if I do, I use a straight, and keep a goatee.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-18-2016, 09:46 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 08:37 PM)kav Wrote: Yes, I merely offered my academic training in anthropology to explain the dearth of information beyond discredited source materials.

You crack me up, Sir LOL

24 5,857
 01-18-2016, 09:50 PM
User Info
I head shave using a Fusion (on one of my preferred aftermarket handles of course) and also do the first pass with the Fusion on the face WTG.
2.nd & 3.rd pass are where I prefer to use my DE razors.

I get 3-6 shaves from my DE blade before I bin the blade, depending on blade type, razor used and beard growth I have to remove.

24 5,857