01-14-2016, 01:35 PM
User Info
Hi Gents--

As most of you know I have taken on shaving advocacy full-time with Sharpologist.  Over the past year or so I've collected an "embarrassment of riches"--products sent to me by PR representatives, samples from vendors and artisans, and products I've purchased on my own.  As there is so much that I'll never get around to finishing, I'm considering creating one or more "pass-around" boxes (the 'Nook calls 'em product tours).

But I'm a little fuzzy on the logistics.  I know I need to collect names and addresses (duh...) and get everyone to cooperate with receiving and then sending the box.  Anything I should be aware of?  Has a tour organizer gotten "burned" by someone getting the box and just keeping it?

--Mark

0 48
 01-14-2016, 02:12 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Your tour, your rules. 

The possibility of someone being lazy, or slow or running off with the goods exist. If the tour is complicated to try and preserve the product people may not want to take part. I just ask everyone to act like gentlemen.

7 445
 01-14-2016, 02:13 PM
User Info
The only thing I'd suggest is to talk directly (through PM) to pass around organizers and ask them for advice. There are a few that stand out here and on other forums.

3 1,484
 01-14-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
I've always seen these for one product, like a brush or a razor.  I'm not sure how practical it is with a box full of products.  It seems the concept may work better with a single item which is easy and inexpensive to package and mail to the next person.  A brush or a razor, for example, it fits perfectly is a USPS small flat rate box.  Whatever you decide to do though, thanks for the thoughtful gesture.

48 5,730
 01-14-2016, 02:32 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Very neat idea Mantic! Good way to give community something back.

0 1,053
 01-14-2016, 02:36 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
I've participated in several passarounds, some with one product and some with a large number of products. They seem to run smoothly as long as the organizer and those involved stay active on the thread, keeping track of who has the box and asking the participants to post their thoughts on what they have used.
Maybe set a limit on the amount of participants per box or on how long they have been an active member would help.

80 464
 01-14-2016, 02:39 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 02:26 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I've always seen these for one product, like a brush or a razor.  I'm not sure how practical it is with a box full of products.  It seems the concept may work better with a single item which is easy and inexpensive to package and mail to the next person.  A brush or a razor, for example, it fits perfectly is a USPS small flat rate box.  Whatever you decide to do though, thanks for the thoughtful gesture.

That's a good point. One way to solve this issue would be to package each pass around separately, i.e., one box for razors, another for soaps and creams, etc.

3 1,484
 01-14-2016, 02:44 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
2 referrals maybe?

0 1,053
 01-14-2016, 05:21 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 02:36 PM)lfs70 Wrote: I've participated in several passarounds, some with one product and some with a large number of products. They seem to run smoothly as long as the organizer and those involved stay active on the thread, keeping track of who has the box and asking the participants to post their thoughts on what they have used.
Maybe set a limit on the amount of participants per box or on how long they have been an active member would help.

Any suggestion for the limit of participants?

0 48
 01-14-2016, 05:37 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 05:21 PM)mantic59 Wrote:
(01-14-2016, 02:36 PM)lfs70 Wrote: I've participated in several passarounds, some with one product and some with a large number of products. They seem to run smoothly as long as the organizer and those involved stay active on the thread, keeping track of who has the box and asking the participants to post their thoughts on what they have used.

You don't need a hard limit unless you want to stop after a certain point. The only real limit is the availability of product and the condition of the items.

3 1,484
 01-14-2016, 06:10 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
(01-14-2016, 05:37 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(01-14-2016, 05:21 PM)mantic59 Wrote:

You don't need a hard limit unless you want to stop after a certain point. The only real limit is the availability of product and the condition of the items.

True. The amount of time that the organizer alots each participant to have the box before sending it on and how long you want it to be traveling would help in determining the amount of participants.
For example, a box containing one soap/razor/balm would be kept for one week with the participant giving some sort of review or comment and then send it on to the next participant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80 464
 01-14-2016, 07:27 PM
User Info
I agree with the idea that the amount of items would really dictate how long each participant would have to try the items.

0 94
 01-14-2016, 09:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Take a page from those chain letter that periodically pop up. When you receive this package pass it on. Mr Smith of Kalamazoo did not and was found floating in his bathtub choked on a puck of Williams while Mr Jones of Malibu mailed his at the post office, turned and bumped into Sophia Vegara who promptly asked him to lunch while stroking his BBS cheek.

2 3,171
 01-14-2016, 09:11 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I would be in on participating

One thing I have heard of was crediting a google doc with the names and addresses of those in the pass around. You only share the link with those involved. When someone ships it out to another person they update the sheet with the date they shipped and the tracking number and who they sent it to. Then the next person adds the date they got it and so on down the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 773
 01-14-2016, 09:16 PM
User Info
I've been involved in pass around with other hobbies a little more expensive than shaving. In some cases a piece of mail was required to show you are who you say you are, post counts had a limit ,in other hobbies the forums have paid memberships and passarounds are only available to paying members with at least 6 months on and a minimum post count. Some cases like I said you showed a bill or something to show your name and address that way if you burned the OP then your info and what you did was shown to the world.

I will go out on a limb and say the shaving community issome of the best people I've ever met and dealt with. Now there's bad everywhere don't get me wrong, shaving just seems to be of a how should I say , higher moral standard than some.

Some cases  of a rare or expensive item a deposit was taken by mods or administration of the site for all that participate.  When you were done the money was given back to you.

0 127
 01-14-2016, 09:52 PM
User Info
(01-14-2016, 09:16 PM)John Wayne Wrote: I've been involved in pass around with other hobbies a little more expensive than shaving. In some cases a piece of mail was required to show you are who you say you are, post counts had a limit ,in other hobbies the forums have paid memberships and passarounds are only available to paying members with at least 6 months on and a minimum post count. Some cases like I said you showed a bill or something to show your name and address that way if you burned the OP then your info and what you did was shown to the world.

I will go out on a limb and say the shaving community issome of the best people I've ever met and dealt with. Now there's bad everywhere don't get me wrong, shaving just seems to be of a how should I say , higher moral standard than some.

Some cases  of a rare or expensive item a deposit was taken by mods or administration of the site for all that participate.  When you were done the money was given back to you.

On another forum I saw that there is a pass around with PannaCrema Nuavia bowls, which are in the luxury class in both performance and cost. So far there has been no issues. The shaving community is definitely upstanding or they would have already been snatched by some enterprising thug.

3 1,484