07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
User Info
I received my new Merkur 41C "1904" at providential time this morning (i.e. just before my shower) so that I could use it for the first time. I had not used an open comb before, but they have been recommended to me to help my perpetual fight against ingrown hairs on my neck. I also received in the package a Fatip Grande as well (more on that one tomorrow or Saturday).

The 41C was nicely chromed but lighter than I thought it would be—lighter than my EJ DE89 Barley, which I very much enjoy. It was nicely made in the same basic three pieces that the EJ is made in, unlike the authentically early made Gillette razors that screwed together in the handle. I appreciated the yielding to modern practice here, as I think it is a much better design mechanically. The handle pattern is attractive and certainly gives it a period look.

I decided to compare my shave on a parallel a plane to my EJ as I could, so I used the exact same blades that I have been using for a while now (Persona Red) and resist the temptation to put in one of my new Feather blades. The blade does not have a great deal of exposure beyond the top plate of the razor which gives it a very mild shave. This was something of a surprise to me. I had thought the OC would be more aggressive than my EJ, and found that the Merkur 41C was on a very even par with my EJ in regards to aggresiveness. This may have been because I was very conscious about applying absolutely no pressure given all of the things that I had heard in the past.

The shave was very comfortable, with no weepers or nicks, and I ended up with a DFS. I had rather expected to have a BBS, but that is not usually my goal and so I wasn't disappointed with it. There was also no irritation from the razor which was confirmed by my alum bloc.

The Merkur 41C "1904" OC is a very good razor for those DE shavers who wish to try an open comb. Were I to advise new wet-shavers though, I would advise them to start with an EJ DE 89 in the handle of their choice ($35-$47) and get comfortable with wet shaving for a couple of months at least, learning the technique required. But the 41C OC is perhaps the ideal first open comb razor. I have no regrets at my purchase and will enjoy having it in my rotation—though now I wish it had been perhaps a little bit more aggresive.

0 53
 07-12-2012, 09:09 AM
User Info
Good review and good advice Father. A person cannot go wrong with the EJ89, it really is one of the best first razors a person could begin their classic shaving journey.

The Merkur Model 41, 1904 OC is a mild razor. When I first gone mine I was using it almost exclusively. I know find myself using one of three razors for my evening shave; the 1904, the Tech or the EJ89, as all three provide irritation free mild shaves.

5 833
 07-12-2012, 10:25 AM
User Info
AFAIK the 1904 have the same head as the Merkur 25C and 985CL - both of which I have and enjoys. I would rate that particular head as less aggressive than a slant (such as the Merkur 39C) but more aggressive than my Feather Popular.

Off course, your blade of choice can add or take away a bit of aggressiveness too - but as far as I understand how these things work the design of the head on the 1904 (and 25C / 985CL) means it cannot be very aggressive due to the low angle and minimum blade exposure. It does gives a wonderful shave though Biggrin

3 3,580
 07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing your first review of the 1904 OC Smile

Having both the 1904OC and a FaTip chrome Grande, I can appreciate the differences in a razor.

I say stay with the 1904 OC for at least 8 to 10 shaves before reaching for the FaTip.
Biggrin

9 1,684
 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review. I love my 41 "G", it's rather mild, but definitely a keeper!

[attachment=3898]

91 17,884