01-15-2016, 06:53 AM
User Info
Alrighty, so I started on the slippery slope of vintage Gillette acquisition with a recently purchased New LC bar handle in Gold. Got it for $15, and and so far I'm really happy with it. The dilemma I face now is that I want a Fatboy before they become even more expensive than they are currently.

Now I ask for the guidance and expertise of all of you that know way more about these than I do. When I start the hunt for one of these: what should I look for condition-wise, what's a good price with the kit or without, any red flags I should keep an eye out for, and are there any vendors that I need to steer clear of, and are any years better than others? I've seriously thought about ordering a Delta Echo refurb, and while I love what they do, I may want to go straight-up vintage first.

Thanks in advance for the info fellas!

5 49
 01-15-2016, 07:00 AM
User Info
They're always available on eBay, but at sometimes inflated prices.  You can usually do better buying from a member on one of the forums, but then you have to check listings daily and wait for one to become available.  Generally I suggest going for the best quality your budget allows, but the ones in pristine condition command high prices.  Something better than user grade but not quite up to excellent condition often represents the best value.  For me, the absence of brassing is essential.

48 5,698
 01-15-2016, 07:37 AM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 06:53 AM)drjenkins Wrote: Alrighty, so I started on the slippery slope of vintage Gillette acquisition with a recently purchased New LC bar handle in Gold. Got it for $15, and and so far I'm really happy with it. The dilemma I face now is that I want a Fatboy before they become even more expensive than they are currently.

Now I ask for the guidance and expertise of all of you that know way more about these than I do. When I start the hunt for one of these: what should I look for condition-wise, what's a good price with the kit or without, any red flags I should keep an eye out for, and are there any vendors that I need to steer clear of, and are any years better than others? I've seriously thought about ordering a Delta Echo refurb, and while I love what they do, I may want to go straight-up vintage first.

Thanks in advance for the info fellas!

If you take your time and really search on eBay you can find some good ones at a good price.  The first one i bought and still shave with came in a lot of four razors.  It was so dirty you could barely tell what it was.  Once I got it I cleaned it up by soaking it in some CLR for a few minutes and loosened up the dial with some baby oil it looked great and shaved great.  I think I paid $28 total.  Another thing is if you get a cheap one that doesn't work perfectly you can send it off to razor emporium for a fix up.  It only cost $20.  I have done this with a couple that I have bought.  I have never spent over $35 for one on eBay.  You just have to be patient.

0 94
 01-15-2016, 08:45 AM
User Info
The prices have been fluctuating recently.  I've seen quite a few going at perfectly reasonable prices over the last few months.  As far as condition, it really depends on how much cleaning up you're prepared to do.  Look for obvious blade gap issues and bent safety bars.  I would also verify that the adjustment mechanisim is lifting the blade tray properly.  Assuming those issues aren't present, pretty much anything can be cleaned up to near pristine.  I've seen some that look like they've spent the past few years on the deck of the Titanic.  After some scrubbing bubbles, some near boiling water, some dish soap, and maybe a little vinegar and polish, combined with a touch of elbow grease, they look great.

I would keep an eye on ebay prices for a couple of weeks so you know what to expect, then you can decide what to look for and start bidding.

1 296
 01-19-2016, 01:10 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I was thinking about looking for one to pick up at places around me. Any one have good photos of what I should look out for? Common problems that might not seem obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 770
 01-19-2016, 01:25 PM
User Info
Im pretty much on the same page, ive been using a slim (found at an estate sale store for 10 bucks only needing a quick wipe down) and love it, now i want to find a fatboy. Really glad someone started a thread so i can follow along. Good luck by the way

8 99
 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 08:45 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote: The prices have been fluctuating recently.  I've seen quite a few going at perfectly reasonable prices over the last few months.  As far as condition, it really depends on how much cleaning up you're prepared to do.  Look for obvious blade gap issues and bent safety bars.  I would also verify that the adjustment mechanisim is lifting the blade tray properly.  Assuming those issues aren't present, pretty much anything can be cleaned up to near pristine.  I've seen some that look like they've spent the past few years on the deck of the Titanic.  After some scrubbing bubbles, some near boiling water, some dish soap, and maybe a little vinegar and polish, combined with a touch of elbow grease, they look great.

I would keep an eye on ebay prices for a couple of weeks so you know what to expect, then you can decide what to look for and start bidding.

Very good advice.  For general shaving use (as opposed to building a collection) a good condition razor, cleaned up by yourself, will do just fine.   Incidentally I prefer the slim.

Stanley

2 155
 01-19-2016, 05:57 PM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 02:25 PM)radioman4 Wrote: Very good advice.  For general shaving use (as opposed to building a collection) a good condition razor, cleaned up by yourself, will do just fine.   Incidentally I prefer the slim.

Stanley

what do you prefer about the slim as opposed to the fatboy? Ive been using a slim and really like it, but curious about the fatboy

8 99
 01-19-2016, 11:43 PM
User Info
Check out Etsy.com every once in a while for vintage Gillettes. You may get lucky.......

0 120
 01-20-2016, 06:19 AM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 05:57 PM)mattbtimeless Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 02:25 PM)radioman4 Wrote: Very good advice.  For general shaving use (as opposed to building a collection) a good condition razor, cleaned up by yourself, will do just fine.   Incidentally I prefer the slim.

Stanley

what do you prefer about the slim as opposed to the fatboy? Ive been using a slim and really like it, but curious about the fatboy

The head and the adjustment mechanism of the two are just about identical, so the shave from both -- IMHO -- is the same.   I prefer the slimmer handle: easier to work with.  That's a matter of taste, however.   Both are excellent, and you will really find little difference between the two.

Stanley

2 155
 01-20-2016, 06:50 AM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 06:19 AM)radioman4 Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 05:57 PM)mattbtimeless Wrote:

Stanley

The head and the adjustment mechanism of the two are just about identical, so the shave from both -- IMHO -- is the same.   I prefer the slimmer handle: easier to work with.  That's a matter of taste, however.   Both are excellent, and you will really find little difference between the two.

Stanley

Makes sense to me, i lean more twards a chunkier handle myself.

8 99
 01-20-2016, 12:01 PM
User Info
I have been weary of buying adjustables off eBay unless the person knows their razors. I've had a few fat boys and slims where the adjustment tray did not move correctly and would stick all the way up.

49 356
 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM
User Info
I was looking for a birthyear 1961 fatboy last Fall.  Seems like you could find one in decent shape for $65 without a case if you hunted a bit.  

On eBay:  
Just because it says Fatboy doesn't mean it is - often a Slim.
Just because it doesn't say Fatboy, doesn't mean it isn't.  Search for "adjustable"
Make sure you get to see clear pictures.

11 193
 01-20-2016, 01:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the replies folks they're much appreciated! I scored one, and it's on the way to me now. We'll see how it holds up to the LC. I had an awesome shave with that thing yesterday.

5 49
 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 01:48 PM)drjenkins Wrote: Thanks for all the replies folks they're much appreciated! I scored one, and it's on the way to me now. We'll see how it holds up to the LC. I had an awesome shave with that thing yesterday.

I think you will find that it lives up to all the hype. I personally find the balance to be better on the fatboy than the Slim, and it certainly is one of Gillette's more awe inspiring designs.

0 21
 01-25-2016, 11:29 AM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 12:01 PM)jhawlz Wrote: I have been weary of buying adjustables off eBay unless the person knows their razors. I've had a few fat boys and slims where the adjustment tray did not move correctly and would stick all the way up.

happens all too often!

0 217
 01-25-2016, 12:23 PM
User Info
Well, the Fatboy should land today, and I'm very so much excited!
Also, since this is a "cost effective" alternative to cartridges, (dripping heavily with sarcasm Cool ) I got a really nice Red Tip with the original blades and case that came in last week. Did the steps Razor Emporium outlines in their very helpful video. Didn't need much cleaning, as it looks like it wasn't used much at all. Got a great shave with it, and I think I'm realizing that I like more aggressive razors with milder blades for my skin and beard type. The least amount of irritation I've had since beginning wet shaving last January has been from these Vintage Gillettes. Got really good results from Derby blades in the New LC, blasphemy I'm aware.

Also have a gold heavy handle Tech coming in soon too, I apparently have contracted an acute case of vintage RAD.

5 49
 01-26-2016, 08:45 AM
User Info
Got here, still needs to be cleaned, but it's in great shape. Pics, along with the other monthly acquisitions Cool

[Image: IMG_1614_zpsjcllmphs.jpg]

5 49
 01-26-2016, 10:14 AM
User Info
beautiful! enjoy Smile

0 217
 02-05-2016, 05:56 PM
User Info
[Image: QYBriPE.jpg]Sometimes you get lucky. Picked this one via Kijiji from a older gentlemen 2 hrs north. Shipped for $31.50 cda. Also came with a 51 rocket in case. Got burned before but lucked out this round.[Image: boCDWGK.jpg]

5 267