01-15-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
For those with 10 or more of each:

I'm curious to know, what particularly, draws you guys to your purchases of brushes and razors. There are so many different brands, sizes, shapes, etc. I'd like to know, individually, what makes you want to purchase what you see.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
They're like women: you eventually mature and realize all shapes, sizes and colors can be beautiful.

2 3,171
 01-15-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
Great thread! I have a very small number of each, but for me the selection process is simple: I research reviews and reports on performance, eliminate all but what seems to be the best, and begin my explorations there.

3 1,484
 01-15-2016, 04:42 PM
User Info
I've reached the point where I worry about performance first and aesthetics second. It's great when I can get both but performance is #1.

The aesthetics bring you in the den but the performance is what ultimately keep you there.

~Jesse~

80 947
 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
Would love to own more than I do if I had the funds to invest but I don't. A bit of variety would be grand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 785
 01-15-2016, 04:48 PM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 04:42 PM)lestorfreemon Wrote: I've reached the point where I worry about performance first and aesthetics second. It's great when I can get both but performance is #1.

The aesthetics bring you in the den but the performance is what ultimately keep you there.

~Jesse~
Exactly right. I'd compare this to how I feel about soap performance and scent. Performance is the ultimate metric, but scent is a nice bonus. If one just has nice scent and mediocre performance, it will end up being PIF'd (just like a brush/razor that looks nice but performs badly).

3 1,484
 01-15-2016, 04:51 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(01-15-2016, 04:30 PM)kav Wrote: They're like women: you eventually mature and realize all shapes, sizes and colors can be beautiful.

Signs011  Yes, exactly what Magic Mushroom (kav) posted.

13 611
 01-15-2016, 05:05 PM
User Info
I'm not the collector type.  I'm basically a minimalist when it comes to shaving, with the exception of brushes.  I find badger brushes beautiful and each one has its own personality.  You can say the same thing about razors, except that they don't have a natural component like badger brushes.

50 6,107
 01-15-2016, 05:28 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(01-15-2016, 04:30 PM)kav Wrote: They're like women: you eventually mature and realize all shapes, sizes and colors can be beautiful.

Pretty much, yeah.
I have several brushes and razors. Not one of them is the same, either in the way they look, the way they handle, or the way they work. Each one of them is unique unto itself.

2 1,683
 01-15-2016, 06:23 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi Bryan, welcome back! How's the new house? Is your family settling in ok?

Here's my take on the question.

I presently own 15 brushes. My brush quest revolves around finding "the one."  Haven't gotten there yet. I recently received a gift of an Epsilon 27x50 silvertip. It's close to being the "one," dense, dense, dense and Soft with excellent backbone and flow through, however I think I'd prefer that brush with a fan knot rather than a bulb. I'm still waiting on delivery of an Epsilon 2 band with a 55 mm loft. Should be here soon... Fwiw, idk why, but I have no present interest in vintage brushes. I'd rather create my own history with brushes.

I own 16 razors. 2 modern and the rest vintage Gillettes and GEMs including one ER 1912. I like the shaves I get with all of my razors, my favorites being one particular RedTip, an iKon 101 and pretty much any of the SEs. What fascinates me with the vintage razors is their unknown history; how many men owned and used this razor? What was his/their story? What kind of a man was he? I always like to think the previous owners of my razors were kind, resourceful and to paraphrase Ray Davies, well respected men about town.

7 2,159
 01-15-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
Because we live in the land of ER...

The next brush might be
-SoftER
-FirmER
-DensER
-FunnER
-Better LatherER
-NicER
-PriciER
-PrettiER

The next Razor might be
-EfficientER
-GentlER
-RoughER
-LongER
-ShortER
-NicER
-PriciER
-PrettiER

You get the idea.

1 297
 01-15-2016, 06:37 PM
User Info
Variety is the spice of life.  Wet shaving is now a hobby for me, and I like to try out new things.  I've got 16 razors, five new and the rest vintage, and the same number of brushes, about a third of which are wood, resin and stone respectively.  Each has its own personality, and I can justify why I keep them in my stable.  

I'm probably done with razors for now, at least until Wolfman opens up its waiting list again, and I've become very, very picky about my brushes.  And while I have my favorites in software, I'll still mix in a new product every now and then.

I guess the best, albeit circular, answer as to why I do it is because I enjoy it because it's fun and it's fun because I enjoy it.

0 135
 01-15-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
I'm a sucker for a good looking dame brush. Tongue

16 1,939
 01-15-2016, 07:45 PM
User Info
Well, it all started, five years ago, with me thinking that an all-black razor would look good in my photos, along with an all-amber brush handle, and the rest, as they say, is..............Subsequently, it has led to a mild obsession with items that will enhance my pics, of which I am extremely fortunate and grateful to have acquired.   Shy

[Image: ZZdHeK.jpg]        [Image: 0BY3Oh.jpg]

83 21,081
 01-15-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 06:27 PM)gwsmallwood Wrote: Because we live in the land of ER...

The next brush might be
-SoftER
-FirmER
-DensER
-FunnER
-Better LatherER
-NicER
-PriciER
-PrettiER

The next Razor might be
-EfficientER
-GentlER
-RoughER
-LongER
-ShortER
-NicER
-PriciER
-PrettiER

You get the idea.

lol nice one

80 947
 01-15-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
I like variety as well...my wife will say I love everything I see and she may be right but I really love using something different every night

26 470
 01-15-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 08:08 PM)amaro5211 Wrote: I like variety as well...my wife will say I love everything I see and she may be right but I really love using something different every night

Hmmm. If I were you I wouldn't repeat to her the latter part of that sentence Tongue.

Otherwise...  Smiley_1140

3 1,484
 01-15-2016, 08:16 PM
User Info
Curiosity. Plain and simple. I see it and wonder or hear so much about it that I say what the heck. Then after finding something that hits that wow factor it makes me want to try more.

147 3,539
 01-15-2016, 08:57 PM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 07:45 PM)celestino Wrote: Well, it all started, five years ago, with me thinking that an all-black razor would look good in my photos, along with an all-amber brush handle, and the rest, as they say, is..............Subsequently, it has led to a mild obsession with items that will enhance my pics, of which I am extremely fortunate and grateful to have acquired.   Shy

[Image: ZZdHeK.jpg]        [Image: 0BY3Oh.jpg]

I love the wood bowl in these two pictures, but I really love the brush handle in the bottom picture. That thing is amazing!

2 328
 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM
User Info
(01-15-2016, 04:28 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: For those with 10 or more of each:

I'm curious to know, what particularly, draws you guys to your purchases of brushes and razors. There are so many different brands, sizes, shapes, etc. I'd like to know, individually, what makes you want to purchase what you see.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

That's a great question Bryan. Not having ten or more of either I can say that for myself personally I could definitely see myself owning many many Brushes. There are so many variations to try out and to be quite honest it's the handles that really get me hooked. 

As far as razors go I have a pretty short list. I already acquired a Wolfman and really only have a couple others that I would like such as an ATT and Oneblade.

3 920