This poll is closed.
Yes
88.89% of votes
No
11.11% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
User Info
Good afternoon gents. I know this is short notice but I'd appreciate some input before I decide what I'm going to do in the morning. The other day while driving I noticed a "new" barbershop. The shop itself isn't new, but the location it is in is. Anyway, it caught my attention because on their window were the words "HOT SHAVES". So I of course pull a quick 180, almost caused half a dozen wrecks (j/k), so I could get the phone # and find out more later. I just got off the phone with them and this is what I found out.

Haircuts - $12
Hot Shaves - $18

The lady I spoke with said she shaves necks and heads, while her partner does the facial shaves. When I asked what equipment they use I was told he decides what to use based on skin type. He will use either a straight (I'm guessing shavette for hygiene reasons) or a safety razor. She didn't mention the dreaded cartridge word. While I know some can get great shaves from a cartridge, I'm certainly not wanting to pay someone to use a cartridge on me.

Both my son & I need haircuts and I was planning on getting that done tomorrow at my regular barber anyway. So now I'm thinking of trying this place out for the haircut for sure, if for nothing else than to talk more about shaving and find out if I want to try a shave there or not. I'm also considering just going ahead and getting a shave while I'm there to try it out since I've been wanting to and $18 sounds pretty reasonable to me. My hesitancy though is that I had a great shave this morning (still BBS as I type this) so is it really worth the $18 for the shave tomorrow morning. Would it be better to go when I can plan on not shaving the day before to have some more growth? My other question, which I do plan on posing while there, is the issue with it being a "HOT" shave. In my personal shaves I prefer cold water and I've read posts where people quote old barber textbooks where it says cold water is better but to use hot water as it's more comfortable to the client. I'm concerned that even if he does a great job that my skin will be irritated and have lots of weepers from a hot towel prep. Has anyone had a professional shave where they used lukewarm or even cool towels to prep instead of the steaming hot towels that are more common?

Thanks for your input.

31 7,914
 07-12-2012, 10:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Get the shave and report back.

If he knows what he's doing, there is nothing better than a "good" barber shop shave. Hot towl to prepare the face, warm lather, cold water rinse, followed with some good skin conditioner and after shave.

If he knows what he's doing, the barber shop hot towels will not cause weepers.

Gor for it.

173 23,547
 07-12-2012, 11:02 AM
User Info
Thanks for the input Johnny. It sounds like you've had some great barbershop shaves before. Do you pamper yourself with a barbershop shave anymore?

31 7,914
 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
  • xraygun
  • Bainbridge Island
User Info
I'd want to see or hear someone else's results first. Most of the tales I've heard have been so disappointing.

5 270
 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
(07-12-2012, 10:54 AM)Johnny Wrote: Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Couldn't have said it better!

1 290
 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM
User Info
Talk to them, then go for it if they seem to know what they are doing.

Wish there was an old fashion barber shop around here... Sad

3 3,580
 07-12-2012, 11:21 AM
User Info
Brian, I'm with Johnny on this one. 'What the hey'.

2 546
 07-12-2012, 11:24 AM
User Info
I say go for it Brian, although I would check on what they are using before paying out good money. I personally would not pay for someone to shave me with a DE...I could do that myself no matter how much pampering they do.

I know that most shops these days use modern "shavette" type razors with Feather blades to give you a straight shave, but there are a handful of old school barbers that will break out their real straights.

I have no reason to fear a straight for "hygiene" reasons. As long as properly sanitized between clients, it is safe.

5 833
 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM
User Info
(07-12-2012, 11:24 AM)Azarius Wrote: I say go for it Brian, although I would check on what they are using before paying out good money. I personally would not pay for someone to shave me with a DE...I could do that myself no matter how much pampering they do.

I know that most shops these days use modern "shavette" type razors with Feather blades to give you a straight shave, but there are a handful of old school barbers that will break out their real straights.

I have no reason to fear a straight for "hygiene" reasons. As long as properly sanitized between clients, it is safe.

Arley, I agree with you as I too have no fear of them using a real straight on me, hygienically speaking. I do hope there's no Sweeny Todd there though (reckon I should check the back and basement first?). I think legally though they aren't allowed to in my state due to "hygiene" reasons. Same bunk law like how you can't buy raw milk. When handled properly it's safe and most likely better for you!

31 7,914
 07-12-2012, 11:42 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
Yeah, go for it! (as long as they are not using a DE)

I had a shave at an AOS store and it was excellent. He used a hot towel for just a few seconds and used hot cream out of some kind of dispenser. I've been told it's against the law in California to use a straight, so he used some kind of Shavette (Dovo?) Anyway, the guy really knew what he was doing. He did use one of AOS's vibrating DE's to touch up a couple of spots but used the Shavette most of the time, and it was a very close shave.

Perhaps get a haircut, bat the breeze with the guy and find out his level of experience, and, if you're satisfied with his response, get the shave next time around when you have more growth?

52 788
 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(07-12-2012, 11:02 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Thanks for the input Johnny. It sounds like you've had some great barbershop shaves before. Do you pamper yourself with a barbershop shave anymore?

I use to get one or two a month, but the old gentleman who gave them has retired and moved to New Mexico.

I usually go to Texas every year to visit relatives and I get three or four shaves while I'm there.

Back in the late 70's I use to get a barber shop shave every Saturday morning in Decatur, TX (for those of you that knows where that is).

173 23,547
 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Since it's Tennessee it will be a Shavette. I'd try it but my wife is my barber (and I'm letting her nowhere near my neck with a razor). Go for it I say.

116 3,804
 07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
(07-12-2012, 11:50 AM)Dave Wrote: Since it's Tennessee it will be a Shavette. I'd try it but my wife is my barber (and I'm letting her nowhere near my neck with a razor). Go for it I say.

Everything ok between you two Dave? Has your life insurance been increased lately? I'll be sure to reference this post to the cops if anything "suspicious" should happen.

Winky Biggrin

31 7,914
 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Nah she's been my barber since we were dating and does a better job than any barber that's ever cut my hair.

116 3,804
 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
User Info
If you don't at least talk to them about it you'll always wonder... So I'd start with the haircut and some questions. Go from there.

If it's a DE he's going to use, you know you can get a BBS at home using products you love. So for $18 I'd pass on that.

Me? I'd pass on the entire thing, but that's me. I absolutely love my routine in the morning and he'd need to pay me to get me to change it. But that's me.

32 6,310
 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
User Info
(07-12-2012, 12:25 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: If you don't at least talk to them about it you'll always wonder... So I'd start with the haircut and some questions. Go from there.

If it's a DE he's going to use, you know you can get a BBS at home using products you love. So for $18 I'd pass on that.

Me? I'd pass on the entire thing, but that's me. I absolutely love my routine in the morning and he'd need to pay me to get me to change it. But that's me.

I might just have to take my KFBR with me and ask him to use that when he's done instead of his regular stuff and I don't even know what his regular stuff his. Biggrin Tongue

(07-12-2012, 12:21 PM)Dave Wrote: Nah she's been my barber since we were dating and does a better job than any barber that's ever cut my hair.

Glad to hear it Dave, but I'll keep my eye on the news for the next few days just in case! Pancarta

31 7,914
 07-12-2012, 12:57 PM
User Info
Most of the time I read about someone getting a barber shave, they're disappointed. Sometimes they're not, however. In either case, I've never heard anyone say that they get a closer shave from a barber that what they can do themselves. it almost seems like you should pass.....BUT

What's the downside? Loss of $18 and a disappointing shave. Perhaps a few nicks, some leftover stubble and some irritation.

What's the upside? A decent shave as part of a decadent experience for a pretty reasonable price.

To me, the possibility of the upside is worth risking the downside. If this becomes a regular thing, your son will remember those times and someday he'll probably enjoy it if they're still around that far down the road.

0 836
 07-12-2012, 02:32 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
The one and only barbershop shave that I had was terrible. Lather from a lather machine, a shavette, a surgical mask and a finish with what looked like a hand sander.

But...as Johnny says, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Of course...nothing ventured no weepers is also true. Tongue

45 16,352
 07-12-2012, 05:24 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(07-12-2012, 10:54 AM)Johnny Wrote: Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Get the shave and report back.

If he knows what he's doing, there is nothing better than a "good" barber shop shave. Hot towl to prepare the face, warm lather, cold water rinse, followed with some good skin conditioner and after shave.

If he knows what he's doing, the barber shop hot towels will not cause weepers.

Gor for it.

I agree with Johnny but I must say $18.00 for a shave seems awfully high to me, but then again I've never had a barbershop shave.

0 396
 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
Well I'll chime in here, but my opinion is probably tainted cause I can wait to hear the results of Brian's shave (Which I am hoping he does try). If he likes it I am close enough to find the place and try it out for myself Dodgy and if he poo-poo's it then I've learned from his experience to stay away.

I will say that I have several barbers as clients and NONE of them do shaves. I even asked the guy who has been cutting my hair for 30 years what he personally shaves with. I was shocked when he said "an electric razor". So I am quite excited that Brian might have stumbled on a gem here. It sounds like these guys are serious if they are advertising shaves, I swear I have never seen an outdoor sign posted saying "hot shaves" in our area since I was a kid. I've just got a feeling it's gonna be good. GO FOR IT BRIAN! Be my ObiWan Konobe.

18 281