01-16-2016, 04:36 PM
User Info
Has anyone purchased one of these that can give us a bit of a review?  I bought the one extra knot that they had for sale on the website but have yet to have it set in a handle. I can say that the knot itself is extremely soft and seems like it will have nice backbone and splay but won't know for shure until I have it set. Link to the brush is below... 

BUDDA BRUSH

3 920
 01-16-2016, 05:10 PM
User Info
I'm not familiar with it, but the website says it's a 28mm know with Plisson type fibers.

50 6,071
 01-16-2016, 05:12 PM
User Info
I will be grabbing one soon. I love the ivory stripe and I'm a sucker for a chubby handle

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

0 517
 01-16-2016, 05:16 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Man, I'm a sucker for a nice looking synthetic. Looks to be one of the "commodity" Plisson-fiber knots. They're available to vendors from China for like $2-$3 per knot, and lots of small vendors are making brushes with them.

That's not at all implying anything negative about them. They are utterly amazing, in fact. They use the same fibers as used in the Plisson synthetic, however, Plisson hand ties their own knots with the fiber, as opposed to ordering the knot in bulk.

I have about 10 brushes with these fibers, and I'll say this: it makes a HUGE difference how they're set. In my opinion, they perform much better when set a little higher than an equivalent badger brush. For example, I have a Shave Revolution "Evolution Synthetic," as well as a RazoRock Plissoft Barber. They have identical handles and identical knots, but the Evolution is set a good bit higher. Side-by-side, there is a huge difference in performance, and I greatly prefer the Evolution.

So I ordered one of these. It seems like the same size knot as the Stirling Kong, but I think that brush is more bulbous. I'm hoping that this one is a) set a little higher, and b) slightly less bulbous. I'm not hoping for a fan or anything, just flatter than the Kong.

If it has both of those qualities, it could be utterly amazing.

22 828
 01-16-2016, 05:20 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
Hummmm looks interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 785
 01-16-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
I've been experimenting with synthetics since 2014 and tried many knots.  I've settled on the Chubby 2 and Muhle XL, and am quite happy with their performance.  I don't try any more knots and probably won't until there is a technological breakthrough and a new generation is developed, if ever.

50 6,071
 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM
User Info
(01-16-2016, 05:16 PM)chamm Wrote: Man, I'm a sucker for a nice looking synthetic. Looks to be one of the "commodity" Plisson-fiber knots. They're available to vendors from China for like $2-$3 per knot, and lots of small vendors are making brushes with them.

That's not at all implying anything negative about them. They are utterly amazing, in fact. They use the same fibers as used in the Plisson synthetic, however, Plisson hand ties their own knots with the fiber, as opposed to ordering the knot in bulk.

I have about 10 brushes with these fibers, and I'll say this: it makes a HUGE difference how they're set. In my opinion, they perform much better when set a little higher than an equivalent badger brush. For example, I have a Shave Revolution "Evolution Synthetic," as well as a RazoRock Plissoft Barber. They have identical handles and identical knots, but the Evolution is set a good bit higher. Side-by-side, there is a huge difference in performance, and I greatly prefer the Evolution.

So I ordered one of these. It seems like the same size knot as the Stirling Kong, but I think that brush is more bulbous. I'm hoping that this one is a) set a little higher, and b) slightly less bulbous. I'm not hoping for a fan or anything, just flatter than the Kong.

If it has both of those qualities, it could be utterly amazing.

I'm not 100% familiar with synthetics but do own a Plisson. I thought that the higher the knot is set it has more of a tendency to be floppy. Floppy being not as good. Wouldn't be better/ firmer to have the knot set lower since they don't act like normal hair? I had to put a band on my Plisson to firm it up. Made it perfect for my taste. (guess personal taste is the answer huh Smile )

147 3,536
 01-16-2016, 09:14 PM
User Info
Ok, so the picture is terrible but here is what the knot from the BUDDA Brush looks like compared to a Plisson and a Stirling Kong. I'm hoping to get it set in a Wolf Whiskers Handle when my number comes up on the waiting list
[Image: tZpHnmQ.jpg]

3 920
 01-16-2016, 09:16 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I measured my Kong at 26/60mm, and the Budda is advertised at 28/65mm.

Doesn't seem like it adds up...

22 828
 01-16-2016, 09:28 PM
User Info
Looks like I am putting another item on the sort list

26 470
 01-16-2016, 11:00 PM
User Info
(01-16-2016, 09:16 PM)chamm Wrote: I measured my Kong at 26/60mm, and the Budda is advertised at 28/65mm.

Doesn't seem like it adds up...

That's exactly what I thought when I recieved the knot

3 920
 01-16-2016, 11:44 PM
User Info
It says on the page that the knot has a loft of 65mm but is set in the budda handle 15mm deep. Effective loft should be 50mm at 28mm diameter.

8 206
 01-17-2016, 03:05 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
28mm Plisson synthetic would be awesome in a WW handle! Good luck with waiting.

0 1,053
 01-17-2016, 06:51 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(01-16-2016, 11:44 PM)nudge101 Wrote: It says on the page that the knot has a loft of 65mm but is set in the budda handle 15mm deep. Effective loft should be 50mm at 28mm diameter.

While I'm fairly sure that you're correct, nobody else in the industry measures brush "loft" to include the part of the knot inside the handle. I'm sure this wasn't done maliciously or anything, but they should have used something like "knot length before setting" or something.

22 828
 01-17-2016, 08:09 AM
User Info
That's just adding confusion into what should be a simple process. Let the vendor do the math: post the loft being offering or let the buyer request what he wants, measured from base of knot to tip, otherwise why should we care how he makes the sausage. Too much information: I know of another vendor who has always done this, and the practice is spreading.

29 1,776
 01-17-2016, 08:43 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 03:05 AM)Aleksey Wrote: 28mm Plisson synthetic would be awesome in a WW handle! Good luck with waiting.

The only problem is I was hoping to use this particular knot and seeing as the loft appears to be shorter than advertised I'm pretty sure it will end up quite a bit shorter that I was hoping. I guess I will just have to ask Peter to set it where there is as much loft as possible or end up spending more to get a different knot put in.

3 920
 01-17-2016, 08:59 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
(01-17-2016, 08:43 AM)Oasisdave Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 03:05 AM)Aleksey Wrote: 28mm Plisson synthetic would be awesome in a WW handle! Good luck with waiting.

The only problem is I was hoping to use this particular knot and seeing as the loft appears to be shorter than advertised I'm pretty sure it will end up quite a bit shorter that I was hoping. I guess I will just have to ask Peter to set it where there is as much loft as possible or end up spending more to get a different knot put in.

Oh, I hope Peter can handle this. I'm already excited to see the product.

0 1,053
 01-17-2016, 01:52 PM
User Info
keeping an eye on this myself. imo at 50mm i feel that would be to low unless these are softer and have even less backbone then the sterling kong. i agree these knots need to be set a bit higher then normal

16 660
 01-21-2016, 06:15 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Well, I have one thing to say - that Bufflehead shipped that brush right quick!
I'll post some pictures soon, but a few quick thoughts: this is NOT the same knot as the Kong. It's a good bit thicker, and very squat. My calipers measure it at 30.5mm at the base, and just a hair over 52mm in loft. If you're someone who likes me he Chubby 2 or 3, this is the synthetic for you.

It is indeed the same fiber as Plisson/RazoRock/Kong, et. al. And I'll say this: the handle is absolutely gorgeous. It has a nice, hefty feel to it, and the faux ivory has a natural looking grain that looks top-notch.

I'll post some pics shortly.

22 828
 01-21-2016, 06:29 PM
User Info
Looking forward to the pics Craig

3 920