01-16-2016, 04:39 PM
User Info
I just reread some older posts, where people explain their lathering styles and their problems with creating the right lather.

I have always had very hard water in my area (Copenhagen, Denmark) and also had problems with Mitchell Wool Fat, when i first tried to lather it.

But back then I almost only used creams, and creams are almost always very easy to get to lather, while some soaps tend to demand a bit more work.

Now that I have a few years of routine, I thought I would give my take on how to lather pretty much anything out there - soaps, croaps, creams and in between.

There seemed to be a couple lathering methods, that often pop up. 

First we have the wet loading method, often referred to as 'Marcho's method. This is just a basic way of loading a wet brush on to a soap to create a wet lather.
Then we have the more dense dryer loading technique, often referred to as the ultra lather method. This is just a basic way of making a more dense dryer and more thick creamy lather.

Instead of these silly names, I thought about making a simple basic lathering tutorial right here on the nook.
I feel I now have the proper knowledge and experience to do so.

The tutorial is quite simple.
You don't need to look at a Youtube video or read a long thread explaining how to create the lather.

I will tell you right now in 10 words how to create a luxurious lather, each and every time. No matter if you are using a cream, croap or a soap.

Here comes the tutorial for the new wet shavers - read, listen and learn and you will NEVER EVER have trouble lathering any product, unless the product is a complete total failure.

LOAD THE LIVING SH*T OUT OF THE BRUSH & PRODUCT

This method works each and every time. TRUST ME !

It's only when you try to load less product you end up in problems. Always load MORE PRODUCT into the brush, than you ever think you'll need.

Are you using a crazy lather hog like the Simpson Chubby 3 in Super 3-band, then you just load accordingly - load until you see the entire top half of the bristles filled up with cream/soap.
Are you running low on lather after first pass, then reload the living sh*t out of the brush once again.

You can never load too much product into the brush. NEVER !

If you like a wet lather, use more water during the loading phase and start out with a slightly more wet brush.
If you enjoy a more dense, thick, and yoghurt like lather, use less water during the loading phase and start out with a more dry brush.

Remember, when you add water to the brush during the lather making process, wheter it's in the bowl, in your hand or on your face you like to create the lather, remember to only add water drop by drop !
Its very easy to add water to your lather and brush during the lathering process, but also quite easy to add too much of it, so add it drop by drop, because once you have added too much water, you can't take it out again.

I guarantee you, that you will never have any latherings problems, if you follow this tutorial.

Remember once again:
Load the living sh*t out of the brush and product Biggrin

Finally only focus on 2 things:

Product, Water - in that order (it even rhymes, so it has to be true )

24 5,841
 01-16-2016, 04:52 PM
User Info
This is from the KISS school of thought - Keep it Simple Stupid.

But yea to your point more product is usually the 1st issue when people have trouble lathering. I too have hard water but ever since I stopped worrying about being frugal with product I have not had any issues.

I used to use distilled water to compensate for the lack of product but I don't go through the trouble any longer.

80 947
 01-16-2016, 05:16 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
Good point and most of us have so much products it's not like we are going to run out. Maybe only if it's a LE or outbid production then be careful but other than that don't be stingy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 770
 01-16-2016, 05:58 PM
User Info
(01-16-2016, 04:39 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I just reread some older posts, where people explain their lathering styles and their problems with creating the right lather.

I have always had very hard water in my area (Copenhagen, Denmark) and also had problems with Mitchell Wool Fat, when i first tried to lather it.

But back then I almost only used creams, and creams are almost always very easy to get to lather, while some soaps tend to demand a bit more work.

Now that I have a few years of routine, I thought I would give my take on how to lather pretty much anything out there - soaps, croaps, creams and in between.

There seemed to be a couple lathering methods, that often pop up. 

First we have the wet loading method, often referred to as 'Marcho's method. This is just a basic way of loading a wet brush on to a soap to create a wet lather.
Then we have the more dense dryer loading technique, often referred to as the ultra lather method. This is just a basic way of making a more dense dryer and more thick creamy lather.

Instead of these silly names, I thought about making a simple basic lathering tutorial right here on the nook.
I feel I now have the proper knowledge and experience to do so.

The tutorial is quite simple.
You don't need to look at a Youtube video or read a long thread explaining how to create the lather.

I will tell you right now in 10 words how to create a luxurious lather, each and every time. No matter if you are using a cream, croap or a soap.

Here comes the tutorial for the new wet shavers - read, listen and learn and you will NEVER EVER have trouble lathering any product, unless the product is a complete total failure.

LOAD THE LIVING SH*T OUT OF THE BRUSH & PRODUCT

This method works each and every time. TRUST ME !

It's only when you try to load less product you end up in problems. Always load MORE PRODUCT into the brush, than you ever think you'll need.

Are you using a crazy lather hog like the Simpson Chubby 3 in Super 3-band, then you just load accordingly - load until you see the entire top half of the bristles filled up with cream/soap.
Are you running low on lather after first pass, then reload the living sh*t out of the brush once again.

You can never load too much product into the brush. NEVER !

If you like a wet lather, use more water during the loading phase and start out with a slightly more wet brush.
If you enjoy a more dense, thick, and yoghurt like lather, use less water during the loading phase and start out with a more dry brush.

Remember, when you add water to the brush during the lather making process, wheter it's in the bowl, in your hand or on your face you like to create the lather, remember to only add water drop by drop, it's easy to add water, so add it drop by drop, because once you have added too much water, you can't take it out again.

I guarantee you, that you will never have any latherings problems, if you follow this tutorial.

Remember once again:
Load the living sh*t out of the brush and product Biggrin

Sound counsel.  Works perfectly for me.

0 382
 01-16-2016, 06:11 PM
User Info
Over the years I've never felt a need to look at lathering videos or read posts about how to lather.  I think it's fairly intuitive and simple, and just takes trial and error.  You do raise a point which, simple and obvious as it may seem, is overlooked by many.

48 5,717
 01-16-2016, 06:29 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I agree with you 100%.
I think a lot of the problem is all the soft soaps that blow up in lather if you look at them funny. They hear and read things like "I did 15 swirls on top of the puck(croap is not a puck, IMO) and got loads and loads of lather.".
Then they run across a harder soap, and can't get it to work.
Or, I read posts all of the time where the person says something like, "If I can't load a brush in 15 or 20 seconds, I don't want that soap. I don't want to work that hard".
It's no wonder with thought processes like this they are having trouble lathering soaps.
Or the ubiquitous, "I don't want to waste soap"
My soap is there to use. I'm not worried about conserving it, I want a great lather and a great shave. I load my brushes heavy. I get fantastic lather and shaves. I would much rather do that and get great shaves, than try to squeeze a lather out of a poorly loaded brush, get more shaves off the soap, but have sorry shaves. I'd rather have great shaves for 2 months with a soap that crappy shaves for 4 months with that same soap.
Load it like you want it gone. MHO.

2 1,683
 01-16-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
(01-16-2016, 06:29 PM)SRNewb Wrote: I agree with you 100%.
I think a lot of the problem is all the soft soaps that blow up in lather if you look at them funny. They hear and read things like "I did 15 swirls on top of the puck(croap is not a puck, IMO) and got loads and loads of lather.".
Then they run across a harder soap, and can't get it to work.
Or, I read posts all of the time where the person says something like, "If I can't load a brush in 15 or 20 seconds, I don't want that soap. I don't want to work that hard".
It's no wonder with thought processes like this they are having trouble lathering soaps.
Or the ubiquitous, "I don't want to waste soap"
My soap is there to use. I'm not worried about conserving it, I want a great lather and a great shave. I load my brushes heavy. I get fantastic lather and shaves. I would much rather do that and get great shaves, than try to squeeze a lather out of a poorly loaded brush, get more shaves off the soap, but have sorry shaves. I'd rather have great shaves for 2 months with a soap that crappy shaves for 4 months with that same soap.
Load it like you want it gone. MHO.

Couldn't agree more.  So, my soap supply only lasts me 4 years instead of 6 or 7-- who cares.  I get terrific, blissful shaves, and that's what it's all about for me.

0 382
 01-16-2016, 07:57 PM
User Info
There is another good point in this post that may get lost.  Many of us want to get our 3 or more passes from one loading of the brush.  If we don't get all the passes from one loading of the brush, we question if something is wrong with the brush or our lathering technique.  There is no rule that says one cannot or should not reload the brush in the middle of a shave.  If you need more soap during a shave, go get it.

48 5,717
 01-16-2016, 09:13 PM
User Info
People over complicate things , I agree load the brush. Here's another point. Don't spent whatever you consider a lot of money on a soap or cream and try to save it or use less. Either pay for  something less expensive or use the product. I used to be guilty of this as I was like I paid hhow much for this ? Better go easy.

Yeah about the third time I left pink water in the sink and 15 minutes of a cold water and styptic and I'm still bleeding was enough for me. If your new to this and you have the biggest badger you can find then like op said your gonna be loading that brush for a minute.  If that's something you dont want to do get another brush.  I mean in the end your hurting yourself literally.  Personally when I start seeing that gooey stringy goodness on my puck and brush from loading that's when I stop.

0 127
 01-17-2016, 06:05 AM
User Info
:-) Silly name "ultralather" ? :-)

One  needs to remember what was going on when Brian "Sharpspine" and I conferred via PMs and decided that in order to teach people how to actually control the water that they were adding to their lather, rather than allowing the brush to control it, that most of the possible names were already in use and it had to be called something.

Also, ultralather isn't making simple lather, that also came up in our discussion. Instead it produces that yogurty goodness already mentioned. We had some discussion as to whether we should even bring it up in a thread. I was of the opinion that everyone was already making it and that it was obvious, but in the end he won out and posted. Anyone allowing the brush to dictate the water used stopped having problems with too much water once they reversed the procedure.

Too, one loads as much, or as little as one needs to. Brian Sharpspine has very hard water and needed to load the bejabbers out of his brush. I have extremely soft water and I can load for 15-20 seconds and I have more than enough. There is no rule. Use what is required.

32 6,445
 01-17-2016, 08:37 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yup, the OPs method works like a charm for me. If you have to worry about how much product you are using the best way to economize is to grow a beard imo.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM
User Info
Gotta say, this is the damn truth! Throw science to the curb and bring logic to the crowd!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-17-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
3 ingredients to lather; soap, water, & air. 

This only addresses 1/3 of the ratio. Most lather problems I see tend to be too much air, which can also look like too little soap. However, I've loaded the fool out of soap before but had too much air and the lather still sucked. The timing of adding water & air into your lather is actually crucial, at least for a true & silly UltraLather. If you hit the lather "explosion", then you just missed an UltraLather. 

Yes loading more soap will (eventually) help & solve all of your lathering problems. But if you add too much water & air then much more soap is needed to correct the mistake. The end result is a lot of wasted lather from an inefficient lathering method. This isn't a bad thing as it will cause you to buy new soaps more often. However, my water is hard enough that I'd like to not waste any more quality soap than is necessary.

31 8,055
 01-17-2016, 03:29 PM
User Info
BTW, yes I know full well that I'm an analytical lather snob. While things can be simplified, it doesn't necessarily hold true when over-simplified. 

Bottom line is to make tons of practice lathers & find what works best for you & doesn't take forever each morning.

31 8,055
 01-17-2016, 07:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
IMO there is no secret to making lather. There is either insufficient product or insufficient water...

99 18,011
 01-17-2016, 08:17 PM
User Info
Or too much air.

31 8,055
 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 08:17 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Or too much air.

I'm glad I'm one of the guys, who can make perfect lather from just focussing 110% on two things:

1. Product
2. Water

In that order.

24 5,841
 01-17-2016, 11:09 PM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 07:41 PM)ben74 Wrote: IMO there is no secret to making lather. There is either insufficient product or insufficient water...

+1
Agreed, Ben

24 5,841
 01-17-2016, 11:17 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-17-2016, 11:09 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 07:41 PM)ben74 Wrote: IMO there is no secret to making lather. There is either insufficient product or insufficient water...

+1
Agreed, Ben

Yes, everything else is in the wrist!  Tongue

Load it.

Wet it.

Then you must whip it... Whip it good!

99 18,011
 01-18-2016, 02:39 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Load it like you hate it, even if you love it. Software is too cheap to load less and get a crappy shave. I understand some discontinued products may require using it carefully but then use a synthetic brush, it always delivers. Just my 2 cents.

0 1,053