01-16-2016, 10:15 PM
User Info
Hey guys. With all the buzz about wolfman I just had a few questions. I'm on the list for a bbs1 , and I spoke to James and despite my best efforts he wouldn't make a list to get on the list so I'm waiting right now. I do have a wolfman open comb though.

How do these 3 razors compare and what do you prefer?  The open comb IMO doesn't shave anything like an open comb. That being said I've always prefered safety bar razors and just feel like I'm missing something. Is the safety bar better than the open comb? I get great shaves and I love my open comb don't get me wrong.  Am I just thinking something is better because I don't have it ? Anyone that has all 3 a comparison would be great.

As of right now my favorite safety bar razor is my H1,but I believe I like the wolfman OC better than the ATT. So if we can go a step further and say H1vs bbs1 vs wr1SB and this is sounding expensive maybe this thread was a bad idea.

0 127
 01-16-2016, 10:44 PM
User Info
I have an att r1, bbs1 and wolfman sb both the regular as well as the aggressive baseplate. I don't have Wolfman OC nor a H1. For what it's worth, I think aesthetically, the Wolfman is by far the nicest razor followed by the Bbs1. As far as shaving goes, the Bbs1 gives me by far the best shave both in comfort and efficiency, followed by the r1 and then the Wolfman. The more aggressive Wolfman baseplate I find too harsh, I suspect I wouldn't like the h1 either, the r1 is just right for me.

1 98
 01-17-2016, 03:55 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Quick thought : Buy both and sell the one you don't end up liking?

0 1,053
 01-17-2016, 05:19 AM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I haven't used a BBS1 but I hear it's a touch more aggressive giving up a little smoothness for efficiency. Between the Wolfman SB and OC I could detect no difference in the shave. I have always liked the face feel of SB so I decided to keep that one but the OC was smooth and just felt a little different on the face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 791
 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 03:55 AM)Aleksey Wrote: Quick thought : Buy both and sell the one you don't end up liking?

Yea I've spent enough money on toys. I've got a family and the wife is starting to say all that cash on shaving gear is ridiculous.  Happy wife happy life. I'm on the list for a bbs1 and I guess I was trying to justify it .

0 127
 01-17-2016, 08:57 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
(01-17-2016, 08:40 AM)John Wayne Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 03:55 AM)Aleksey Wrote: Quick thought : Buy both and sell the one you don't end up liking?

Yea I've spent enough money on toys. I've got a family and the wife is starting to say all that cash on shaving gear is ridiculous.  Happy wife happy life. I'm on the list for a bbs1 and I guess I was trying to justify it .

It would be sold in minutes, so I see no loss. Maybe you can explain it like this to your wife. Smile

0 1,053
 01-17-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 08:57 AM)Aleksey Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 08:40 AM)John Wayne Wrote:

It would be sold in minutes, so I see no loss. Maybe you can explain it like this to your wife. Smile
24 the whole honey I swear I can sell it in minutes for a big profit excuse got old 4 razors ago. Biggrin

0 127
 01-17-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
I'm interested in this as well. I love my Wolfman but part of feels I'm missing out. Curious in what others have to say.

148 3,565
 01-17-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 09:28 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I'm interested in this as well. I love my Wolfman but part of feels I'm missing out. Curious in what others have to say.

Tell you what Freddie to keep the mrs.s happy well just go in halfies on a bbs1 it can live with me 2 weeks and you 2 weeks ,joint custody per say, keep both the wives happy. Biggrin Im kidding...or am i???

0 127
 01-17-2016, 09:45 AM
User Info
I am also interested in this, at least BBS-1 vs Wolfman SB

13 777
 01-17-2016, 10:55 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 09:14 AM)John Wayne Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 08:57 AM)Aleksey Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 08:40 AM)John Wayne Wrote: Yea I've spent enough money on toys. I've got a family and the wife is starting to say all that cash on shaving gear is ridiculous.  Happy wife happy life. I'm on the list for a bbs1 and I guess I was trying to justify it .

24 the whole honey I swear I can sell it in minutes for a big profit excuse got old 4 razors ago. Biggrin
LOL I can see that. I'm in the same boat as th with the choice. I'd prefer to only buy one but I'm willing to take the chance and buy two. I'm sure someone on this forum would take an extra titanium Wolfman.

3 1,484
 01-17-2016, 10:56 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
(01-17-2016, 10:55 AM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 09:14 AM)John Wayne Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 08:57 AM)Aleksey Wrote: It would be sold in minutes, so I see no loss. Maybe you can explain it like this to your wife. Smile
LOL I can see that. I'm in the same boat as th with the choice. I'd prefer to only buy one but I'm willing to take the chance and buy two. I'm sure someone on this forum would take an extra titanium Wolfman.

I will. Biggrin

0 1,053
 01-17-2016, 10:57 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 09:42 AM)John Wayne Wrote:
(01-17-2016, 09:28 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I'm interested in this as well. I love my Wolfman but part of feels I'm missing out. Curious in what others have to say.

Tell you what Freddie to keep the mrs.s happy well just go in halfies on a bbs1 it can live with me 2 weeks and you 2 weeks ,joint custody per say, keep both the wives happy. Biggrin Im kidding...or am i???

Pssht. Jess would still give me the look of death. "Why you keep going to the post office? Just sell you half to him and be done with it!"  I can hear it now...

148 3,565
 01-17-2016, 11:35 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have the first BBS-1, and one of the first WR1-SBs, so I don't know how much they might have changed since I got mine. James has switched over to a completely new CNC machine for both razors, so the current models might vary a little from the ones I have.

Commenting on the ones I have, the BBS-1 cuts a little closer than the WR1-SB. However, the WR1-SB is extremely smooth and forgiving. I use it when I'm in a hurry, and don't have the time to really dial in the BBS-1. I don't quite agree with the assertion that the WR1 trades closeness for smoothness, however, because I consistently get an incredibly smooth shave from the BBS-1. It just allows a slightly higher chance of user error.

You can't go wrong with either, and I've heard some really positive things about the new-fangled "wide gap" WR1-SB razors the kids are using these days. Perhaps it allows for a little bit closer shave.

22 835
 01-17-2016, 11:41 AM
User Info
(01-17-2016, 11:35 AM)chamm Wrote: I have the first BBS-1, and one of the first WR1-SBs, so I don't know how much they might have changed since I got mine. James has switched over to a completely new CNC machine for both razors, so the current models might vary a little from the ones I have.

Commenting on the ones I have, the BBS-1 cuts a little closer than the WR1-SB. However, the WR1-SB is extremely smooth and forgiving. I use it when I'm in a hurry, and don't have the time to really dial in the BBS-1. I don't quite agree with the assertion that the WR1 trades closeness for smoothness, however, because I consistently get an incredibly smooth shave from the BBS-1. It just allows a slightly higher chance of user error.

You can't go wrong with either, and I've heard some really positive things about the new-fangled "wide gap" WR1-SB razors the kids are using these days. Perhaps it allows for a little bit closer shave.

Helpful comparison Craig, thanks! One thing that attracts me to this brand is that the razors are said to be comfortable whether or not they are on the efficient end of the spectrum. As someone who likes aggressive razors that is a huge bonus.

3 1,484
 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM
User Info
The open comb is smooth as well. While it doesn't feel as aggressive as my H1 ,it's smoother and nearly as efficient ,which makes me want to try the h2 against the wolfman.

0 127
 01-17-2016, 03:04 PM
User Info
I have both the OC and BBS-1. For me the OC has a bit more blade feel and is a bit more efficient than the BBS-1.  That being said the BBS-1 is awesome, especially with a Feather blade. I feel like it doesn't take much to dial it in and I always get an awesome shave. I'd be happy to have either one as my daily shaver. 

Interesting how my experience is the opposite of Craig's above. I feel like I have to be a bit more careful with the Wolfman... maybe because it's the OC.

Just enjoy whatever you do.

10 1,692
 04-06-2016, 07:49 AM
User Info
Anyone else have thoughts and comparisons between the BBS-1 and the WR1? Either new owners or revised thoughts from people here after extended usage? What are the differences in efficiency, smoothness, safety, comfort? Is one of these razors better at certain features, while the other exceeds in other areas? If you could only pick one between the both you own, which would it be?

2 308
 04-06-2016, 09:40 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I have shaved with Wolfman's OC en SB standard and a DC +0,67 and a SB +0,74 and the BBS-1

My preference is the SB +0,74 but I'm keeping the others also. When I recently bought the BBS-1 from a member here I didn't get the shaves I was expecting but after a tip from the previous owner I used a much steeper angle and a little pressure and that made a world of difference. 

The BBS-1 is a fantastic razor but not straight out of the box like the Wolfmans,  the BBS-1 takes a little bit of getting used too before you get the most out of it but certainly worth owning. (YMMV)

28 1,446
 04-06-2016, 10:14 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Perfect explanation above...I also have the BBS-1 #23 and a Double head SB/OC early Wolfman and this is the same result I have...use SB/OC if i,m in a hurry and BBS-1 when I want to linger....both exceptional razors and in my favorite top tier of 6.

6 2,036