01-18-2016, 05:36 AM
  • dominick
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
What are your thoughts on the performance, scent of ADP Colonia vs newer Collezione shave soap. I was recently in Nordstroms department store and they still carried the older line albeit in limited quantities. I read the newer soap is better in terms of lathering, and post shave properties.
Thanks.
Dominick

0 15
 01-18-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
I've used both and find the current superior in all the following categories:
1.) Ease of lathering
2.) Slipperiness
3.) *Scent
4.) Post-shave

As you probably know, the current is offered in two versions, jar and tube. I slightly prefer the tube, but, admittedly, this is a personal preference, and I really don't think a person could go wrong with either; the tube lathers a tad more easily, for me, probably in large part due to the addition of 'PEG glyceryl cocoate' (mild foam booster), but the jar's lather seems a bit richer.

*This area seems to be most subjective - wrt AdP, and in general. Many (if not most) seem to prefer Colonia; personally, I prefer the scent of the new version.

0 427
 01-18-2016, 07:09 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I prefer everything about the new version, except that I prefer the old scent more. Simple as that.
Also, both versions say Collezione Barbiere.

[Image: 8b35cae8f34259f394310a8b24f89672.jpg]

57 2,560
 01-18-2016, 07:25 AM
User Info
I vastly prefer the old Colonia scent. Other than that, the new one is better. I own both pots.

24 5,850
 01-18-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
I can't say anything about the old version's performance, but I own the Colonia EDT and prefer the new Collezione Barbiere scent. IMO the new scent is more pleasing and appropriate to a shaving product.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 09:24 AM
User Info
Has anyone seen an aftershave other than the balm with the new scent? I wish they made a splash version in addition to the balm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,200
 01-18-2016, 09:31 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
I love the Colonia scent, so I'm pretty much disappointed by this change solely based on scent. It is subjective, though.

0 1,053
 01-18-2016, 09:42 AM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 09:24 AM)merkur man Wrote: Has anyone seen an aftershave other than the balm with the new scent? I wish they made a splash version in addition to the balm.

Alas I've been hoping for the same Sad. I love the scent of the new balm and would love to have it in a splash.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 09:55 AM
  • naayi
  • Istanbul, Turkey
User Info
During my last trip to Italy i have purchased an AdP jar and the AS balm directly from thr AdP stand in the duty free zone. There was no splash available.

0 18
 01-18-2016, 10:34 AM
User Info
I should add that I emailed ADP about this very issue. They confirmed that the old Collezione Barbiere splash was rebranded as the Colonia splash (since the old Collezione Barbiere cream was Colonia scented). From what I was told there was never any plan to make Collezione Barbiere into a splash, I'm guessing because people on the forums and elsewhere likely preferred the Colonia scent.

Most unfortunate. I much prefer the Collezione Barbiere scent and would buy a splash in an instant.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 10:59 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
(01-18-2016, 09:55 AM)naayi Wrote: During my last trip to Italy i have purchased an AdP jar and the AS balm directly from thr AdP stand in the duty free zone. There was no splash available.

You should've gotten the Colonia splash Volkan abi, it's a really exquisite scent.

0 1,053
 02-04-2016, 03:05 PM
User Info
I thought the new formulation was unscented?  A recent visit to my local shave supply shop confirmed this, and the cream itself even looks different. From a yellow harder croap to a white appearance which is a softer cream? Has it changed again?

0 26
 02-04-2016, 03:22 PM
User Info
Just one reformulation. The new formula has a lighter scent but is scented nonetheless. No Colonia scent anymore though. If your local shave shop has the AdP aftershave balm you can sample the scent of the new cream formula that way as well. Consistency of the cream seems to vary a bit but whether you get a fluffy cream or a firm croap it will work beautifully.

73 2,200
 02-04-2016, 03:23 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 03:05 PM)Tom Ford Wrote: I thought the new formulation was unscented?  A recent visit to my local shave supply shop confirmed this, and the cream itself even looks different. From a yellow harder croap to a white appearance which is a softer cream? Has it changed again?

The new version is not unscented. The Collezione Barbiere line has its own fragrance.

3 1,484
 02-04-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 03:05 PM)Tom Ford Wrote: I thought the new formulation was unscented?  A recent visit to my local shave supply shop confirmed this, and the cream itself even looks different. From a yellow harder croap to a white appearance which is a softer cream? Has it changed again?

Only two versions of the pot.

The old one named Colonia has a more silver brown lid colour.
It's more of a hard croap with a slightly yellow'ish colour to it, almost soap like in texture. Has the wonderful Colonia scent. Lathers great. Is a fantastic performer.

The new one without the Colonia name on it has a more dark brown lid colour.
It's more of a soft cream, white in colour. Has a very discrete fresh marine type scent with a bit of added menthol to it. Performs slightly better than the old Colonia.

Both products are TOP PERFORMERS in my den. I pretty much rank them on the same level, 10/10 almost. Some days I may rank one 9.5/10, other days it gets a 10/10 and vice versa.

24 5,850
 02-04-2016, 03:27 PM
User Info
I just recieve a brand new tube of cream today. There is something in the scent I find a bit offputting.  I have smelled it before and was finally able to put my finger on it.. it is the same weird scent I pick up from strop shoppe tallow soaps. I only test lathered it tonight after receiving it and will give it a go tomorrow.  I really want to like it as I have been on a true cream kick lately (also picked up a couple of tunes of st. James of london) but that one scent, whatever that ingredient is thag causes it may prove to much.  We will see.

87 892
 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 03:27 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I just recieve a brand new tube of cream today. There is something in the scent I find a bit offputting.  I have smelled it before and was finally able to put my finger on it.. it is the same weird scent I pick up from strop shoppe tallow soaps. I only test lathered it tonight after receiving it and will give it a go tomorrow.  I really want to like it as I have been on a true cream kick lately (also picked up a couple of tunes of st. James of london) but that one scent, whatever that ingredient is thag causes it may prove to much.  We will see.

If you like its perfomance, just mix it with a soap with a strong scent you like, and mix them together in a superlather.

24 5,850
 02-04-2016, 03:35 PM
User Info
I may I just hate that I would have to do that with a 45 tube of cream.

87 892
 02-04-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 03:35 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I may I just hate that I would have to do that with a 45 tube of cream.

The tube version is slightly different than the tub version IMO. It's hard to isolate what you are experiencing since I don't regularly use Strop Shoppe and I only use the tub version of AdP.

3 1,484
 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM
User Info
(02-04-2016, 03:39 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(02-04-2016, 03:35 PM)chromedometone Wrote: I may I just hate that I would have to do that with a 45 tube of cream.

The tube version is slightly different than the tub version IMO. It's hard to isolate what you are experiencing since I don't regularly use Strop Shoppe and I only use the tub version of AdP.

It is a scent of some particular ingredient or the combination.  At first blush it almost smells like something is going rancid.  I doubt it as I don't even believe there is anything in the adp that could go rancid but that is what it smells like to me.

87 892