01-18-2016, 11:12 AM
User Info
If you haven't already heard 12 marines have gone missing after 2 helicopters crashed in Hawaii. Last I read they are still searching for the Marines so there still may be some hope for them. Hopefully they are found alive ,but we all know aircraft crashing at sea and the odds. Would love to see these men make it home to their families and friends.

0 127
 01-18-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
Definitely prayers to their families. My co worker is neighbors with one of the families that has a marine missing. They are showing support in the neighborhood by tying yellow ribbons on all the trees in the neighborhood.

80 947
 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'They' are the USCG- the most overlooked military service who also face danger

2 3,171
 01-18-2016, 02:09 PM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 01:29 PM)kav Wrote: 'They' are the USCG- the most overlooked military service who also face danger

Not by this guy. Much respect to anyone in uniform and all the USCG. To the public the rescue swimmers are what it's all about . SamSame way the public views shooters as people who win wars . It's a team effort and even down to the cook , shooters gotta eat.

0 127
 01-18-2016, 02:10 PM
User Info
Offering my hopes and best wishes. What a terrible tragedy.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 02:10 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote: Offering my hopes and best wishes. What a terrible tragedy.

Here's to finding 12 marines on a raft, spear fishing sharks , getting a tan. Coast guards sees them and they just shrug and say we're good, come back later.

0 127
 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM
User Info
One report says life raft was found ,no signs of anyone in it , or that anyone had even been on it. Still hoping for the best in this....

0 127
 01-18-2016, 03:45 PM
User Info
Sadly they had a CH-53 crash at in the Sea of Japan while I was in Okinawa with a loss of 17 lives years ago.  The CH-53 is massive and doesn't quite has the same ability to auto rotate for a landing if there is a power train failure. 

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

4 465
 01-19-2016, 08:39 AM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 03:45 PM)Cincinnatus Wrote: Sadly they had a CH-53 crash at in the Sea of Japan while I was in Okinawa with a loss of 17 lives years ago.  The CH-53 is massive and doesn't quite has the same ability to auto rotate for a landing if there is a power train failure. 

My thoughts and prayers are with the families.

There are a lot more helicopter crashes that the public will never know about . I've been in 2 personally not gonna get into detail in public . Let's say they werent major crashes but crashes none the less.

Day 4 now . At what point should we stop hoping that these men are alive and just start hoping that they aren't suffering? These men's families deserve to know their Marines aren't forgotten. It's a sad day for America when the presidential candidates twitter account gets more air time ,then lose of life by the men who helped make America what it is . Pathetic .

0 127
 01-19-2016, 08:48 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I say give them a week. They're Marines and they won't quit. 

John Wayne....these Marines and all who serve will never be forgotten so long as I have breath in my lungs!!

159 1,315
 01-19-2016, 08:51 AM
User Info
Prayers sent - Semper Fi

24 470
 01-19-2016, 08:53 AM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 08:48 AM)Steelman Wrote: I say give them a week. They're Marines and they won't quit. 

John Wayne....these Marines and all who serve will never be forgotten so long as I have breath in my lungs!!

I hope your right. Thing is the rafts are empty. What kind of landing was it . Trust me when I tell you they've did the dunker training so they can get out if it's possible. I just don't know if they collided mid air and crashed or what. 4 days is grim but survivable . I'll be the last one standing if there is a logical sign they could be alive you know. You know your stuff you say a week give em a week.

0 127
 01-19-2016, 11:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The problem is few people who do egress a submerged vessel do so without injury. Unless you have a very calm sea mere wave action can overwhelm even an  experienced swimmer without a full wetsuit and gear. Then you have hypothermia and dehydration. If you think flying 
search patterns all day and staring out a window will spot anything- lots of luck. Without flares,smoke, mirrors or a RESCUE STREAMER like I
suggested Phil carry it's virtually impossible to spot anything unless you have perfect conditions.  I had a old HH52 hovering right over me with
 a victim on the Oregon Coast and it took them 10 minutes to see me in international orange Until I could fumble a .22 flarepengun out  without losing my rescue and almost hit the ASW on the stokes litter hoist with it. He was an old friend from Kodiak and later claimed It was on purpose.

2 3,171
 01-19-2016, 11:13 AM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 11:01 AM)kav Wrote: The problem is few people who do egress a submerged vessel do so without injury. Unless you have a very calm sea mere wave action can overwhelm even an  experienced swimmer without a full wetsuit and gear. Then you have hypothermia and dehydration. If you think flying 
search patterns all day and staring out a window will spot anything- lots of luck. Without flares,smoke, mirrors or a RESCUE STREAMER like I
suggested Phil carry it's virtually impossible to spot anything unless you have perfect conditions.  I had a old HH52 hovering right over me with
 a victim on the Oregon Coast and it took them 10 minutes to see me in international orange Until I could fumble a .22 flarepengun out  without losing my rescue and almost hit the ASW on the stokes litter hoist with it. He was an old friend from Kodiak and later claimed It was on purpose.

I was having the same discussion with someone via pm. Tech is better than it was , but still not a sure thing. By my "they" comment I meant no disrespect to the coast guard. I said they because from my understanding it was more than just the coast guard searching for them. 

Even if they know the exact location the helicopter went down it can still be very difficult to find someone ,like you said.

Some aircraft and ships have better tech than others. I referred to the airplane crash of the Malaysian aircraft a few years ago,and how the US would not use all its tech in that search. That's not the case here ,question is what vessels have what tech at that location.

0 127
 02-08-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 08:51 AM)amaro5211 Wrote: Prayers sent - Semper Fi

+1 Semper Fi

6 223