01-18-2016, 06:36 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
[Image: EN7YvW2.jpg]So today i was laying in bed when i heard a scream. My girlfriend was freaking out because some cock roach lookin' bug was crawling along the apartment floor. We saw a few when we moved in and now today saw another. I need to know what it is. Doesnt look like any of the 5 common cockroaches in southern ontario. I checked. 

It is nasty. What is it?[Image: JCFFDWF.jpg]

3 227
 01-18-2016, 06:37 PM
User Info
Shok I have no idea what that beastly creature is, but if I saw it I'd be out the door screaming.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 06:39 PM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I murdered it instantly but i want to know what it is i am killing so i can arm myself accordingly.

3 227
 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 06:39 PM)Scoti Wrote: I murdered it instantly but i want to know what it is i am killing so i can arm myself accordingly.

Arm yourself with a live-in fumigator, or sell the house, abandon ship, and move out of state. But if you do choose to fight this battle, you must do whatever it takes to remove that mutant species from the face of the earth.

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 06:56 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Leptoglossus occidentalis common name western conifer seed bug. A insect with fused mouthed parts to suck nutrients from conifer seeds. They will overwinter in houses AND ARE HARMLESS. They have wings but usually just crawl. A species native to western Canada, they have been migrating and arrived in Ontario @ 1985

2 3,171
 01-18-2016, 06:59 PM
User Info
Conifer seed bug? More like Chernobyl death gnat.

Harmless he says... Not mutated by radioactive fallout he says...

3 1,484
 01-18-2016, 07:20 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
You can probably find chocolate covered Conifer Seed bugs somewhere. Tongue

46 18,385
 01-18-2016, 07:21 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-18-2016, 06:56 PM)kav Wrote: Leptoglossus occidentalis common name western conifer seed bug. A insect with fused mouthed parts to suck nutrients from conifer seeds. They will overwinter in houses AND ARE HARMLESS. They have wings but usually just crawl. A species native to western Canada, they have been migrating and arrived in Ontario @ 1985

Yes.
http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets...er-seedbug

102 18,653
 01-18-2016, 07:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
SIGH Upon my separation from active service I first visited visited London and Paris. I then spent 3 months at the Zen Mountain center located in ,Tassajara Valley in Monterey on the long ignored suggestion of Alan Watts; who I had the signal honor of meeting several times. I then enrolled
in University as an Archaeology major. I figured it worked out for T.E. Lawrence so why not? I became Involved in envireonmeddling and used
 my USCG background as a volunteer with Sea Shepherd and later REDWOOD SUMMER. I bought the sleeping bag Julia Butterfly slept in during her tree sit in Luna. Rumors I slept with Julia will neither be confirmed nor denied.
I realized to win we needed to talk to lumberjacks and Inuit whale hunters ( I ate UMLUK and gained their trust and POed Captain Watson) and ANYONE willing to palaver. So, I bought a book on North American Forestry Production which covered associated insects with destructive and non destructive
impacts and became introduced to this uh 'bug'. I also dressed like our 'adversaries'  in the field and boardrooms I sort of walked in on a few times.
I -I -even shaved unlike the fictional heroes below. See how things come back for good sometimes? Now, back to my final dram of lagavulin.[Image: sL3ZDn9.jpg]

2 3,171
 01-18-2016, 07:42 PM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 06:56 PM)kav Wrote: Leptoglossus occidentalis common name western conifer seed bug. A insect with fused mouthed parts to suck nutrients from conifer seeds. They will overwinter in houses AND ARE HARMLESS. They have wings but usually just crawl. A species native to western Canada, they have been migrating and arrived in Ontario @ 1985

You da man Kav!  Impressive! Clap

147 3,539
 01-18-2016, 10:22 PM
User Info
(01-18-2016, 06:36 PM)Scoti Wrote: [Image: EN7YvW2.jpg]So today i was laying in bed when i heard a scream. My girlfriend was freaking out because some cock roach lookin' bug was crawling along the apartment floor. We saw a few when we moved in and now today saw another. I need to know what it is. Doesnt look like any of the 5 common cockroaches in southern ontario. I checked. 

It is nasty. What is it?[Image: JCFFDWF.jpg]
That's my mother in law. Thank you for this you saved me the trouble. Please give me you address and I will mail you a check for my gratitude.

0 127
 01-19-2016, 01:36 AM
  • Scoti
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info

I think you are right. The wikipedia photos show the insect with its wings not covering its body. My photo is of the wings half open. Since its dead. Next time i see one ill snap a pre-death picture.

I am grateful it isnt a roach or destructive bug or i would be packing up my bags and jumping ship. Ive got too little invested in this sh**hole of an apartment.

So I thank you for your knowledge of entomology. You sir are the man.

3 227
 01-19-2016, 06:50 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
(01-18-2016, 10:22 PM)John Wayne Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 06:36 PM)Scoti Wrote: today i was laying in bed when i heard a scream. My girlfriend was freaking out because some cock roach lookin' bug was crawling along the apartment floor. We saw a few when we moved in and now today saw another. I need to know what it is. Doesnt look like any of the 5 common cockroaches in southern ontario. I checked. 

It is nasty. What is it?
That's my mother in law. Thank you for this you saved me the trouble. Please give me you address and I will mail you a check for my gratitude.

This goes straight to the Funny Posts thread!!!  24

0 1,053
 01-19-2016, 07:14 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I like it in context

2 3,171
 01-19-2016, 02:28 PM
User Info
My wife would have made us the move if she saw this thing walking around.

26 470
 01-19-2016, 02:31 PM
User Info
If I had a wife, I'd have stood on a chair while making her kill the bug. Perhaps that's why I don't yet have one lol. Laughing1

3 1,484
 01-19-2016, 02:34 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
If you guys in SOCAL ever attend the meetings at the Huntington gardens, I will introduce you to the 'bug man'. He's an entymologist who provides
insects and arachnids for Hollywood. You want creepy crawlies? He's got creepie crawlies, by the thousands.

2 3,171
 01-19-2016, 02:45 PM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 02:34 PM)kav Wrote: If you guys in SOCAL ever attend the meetings at the Huntington gardens, I will introduce you to the 'bug man'. He's an entymologist who provides
insects and arachnids for Hollywood. You want creepy crawlies? He's got creepie crawlies, by the thousands.

I may need you when I need to give my wife some payback....just saying

26 470