01-19-2016, 07:27 PM
User Info
Aesop opened two stores in Miami recently.  I went in to look at the stainless shaving bowl, which has gotten many favorable posts here.  While in the store I tried their Shaving Serum.  It's a thick liquid, resembling a light oil, that comes in either a 2 oz ($37) or 3.4 oz ($59) pump bottle.  To me it resembles a pre shave oil.  The ingredients are:

Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamine Oxide, Glycerin, Polysorbate 20, Cocamide DEA, Sorbitol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco-Betaine, Laureth-8, Fusanus Spicatus Wood Oil, Panthenol, Citric Acid, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Flower Oil, Pogostemon Cablin Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Flower Oil, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Farnesol, Linalool, d-Limonene, Eugenol.

You use it by pumping one or two times into the bowl, then building a lather.  I tried it at the store with the Aesop stainless bowl and Aesop synthetic brush, which looked like a rebranded Edwin Jagger.  It will not create the full, rich lather we are used to from shaving soaps and creams.  I applied the "lather" to my hand and have no idea how a shave with it would go.  It's expensive, but it seems like a small bottle goes a long way.

I like to try different products.  This is part of the enjoyment of our hobby.  I'm considering seeing what this product does.  Have any of you tried this?

51 6,448
 01-19-2016, 07:34 PM
User Info
I haven't but it sounds nice. If I order a bowl I might grab one if these as well.

4 929
 01-19-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 07:34 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: I haven't but it sounds nice. If I order a bowl I might grab one if these as well.

The bowls are $25 and have received much praise here.

51 6,448
 01-19-2016, 07:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I don't like anything you have to pump or spray from expensive and small containers. It has a nasty habit of getting used up quickly.

2 3,171
 01-19-2016, 07:47 PM
User Info
Yes, they tell you that you only need a little as a way of justifying the cost.  Then, it only works right if you use more that they tell you is necessary.

51 6,448
 01-19-2016, 07:55 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Aesop is probably Australia’s greatest ''beauty’’ brand and in 25 years the company has built a network of more than 70 shops around the world.

I was given a free sample of the Moroccan Neroli Shaving Serum when I purchased the stainless steel bowl.

Neroli, incidentally is rumoured to be a secret ingredient in Coke. Regardless the product smells great.

The serum is supposed to lubricate and calm skin. However, insufficiently lubricated skin doesn't feel calm (or at least mine doesn't) and this was my experience with it.

It's a very different product to the usual soap/croap or cream. It's very low foaming and what I would term more of a shaving oil than anything else.

The fragrant essential oils are IMO potentially skin irritating as opposed to calming or soothing.

I wasn't a fan, but I imagine it's a product that requires more than a sample to experiment with.

99 18,011
 01-19-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
Thanks Ben.  I was hoping you would respond, because Aesop is an Australian company and I figured you may have experience with its products.  I only did a test lather in the store, but I do agree with your assessment that it resembles a shave oil and is low foaming.  in fact, it barely foams at all.

51 6,448
 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
It was a year or 2 ago when I tried it. I have a local Aesop store and will visit tomorrow with the express purpose of obtaining another sample.

99 18,011
 01-19-2016, 08:38 PM
User Info
Certainly, I commend Aēsop for thinking differently, and they have a number of well-regarded products I have enjoyed before.

However, this seems like a product designed by someone who knows nothing about shaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 291
 01-19-2016, 08:40 PM
User Info
Same here Ben.  I purchased it and tried it our for a while, but was never happy with the way behaved or the shaves I got from it.  It is the only product Aesop produces that I wouldn't ever purchase again.

I don't really think it is meant to lather up as we know that term to mean. 

Aesop produce a body cleansing bar (http://www.aesop.com/usa/body-care/body-...-slab.html), and I've often wondered if that would lather up.  It couldn't be worse than the shaving serum.

1 81
 01-19-2016, 08:58 PM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 07:42 PM)kav Wrote: I don't like anything you have to pump or spray from expensive and small containers. It has a nasty habit of getting used up quickly.

I agree 2 oz isn't much product and would go really quickly if it was something I liked.

4 929
 01-20-2016, 08:31 AM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 08:40 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote: Same here Ben.  I purchased it and tried it our for a while, but was never happy with the way behaved or the shaves I got from it.  It is the only product Aesop produces that I wouldn't ever purchase again.

Aesop produce a body cleansing bar (http://www.aesop.com/usa/body-care/body-...-slab.html), and I've often wondered if that would lather up.  It couldn't be worse than the shaving serum.

When I was trying the serum in the store, I was told that it does not lather like regular shaving cream.  Also, the Aesop website has a short video on how to use the serum and you can see that it barely lathers.  I'm going to go to the store and ask for a sample.

51 6,448
 01-20-2016, 08:39 AM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 08:31 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 08:40 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote: Same here Ben.  I purchased it and tried it our for a while, but was never happy with the way behaved or the shaves I got from it.  It is the only product Aesop produces that I wouldn't ever purchase again.

When I was trying the serum in the store, I was told that it does not lather like regular shaving cream.  Also, the Aesop website has a short video on how to use the serum and you can see that it barely lathers.  I'm going to go to the store and ask for a sample.

Thanks for all the background I am excited to try this cleansing bar soon.

30 470
 01-20-2016, 08:50 AM
User Info
When I go back to the store I'll check out the cleansing bar and their other products.  I only checked out shaving related items the first time I was there. Everything is the store is pricey.

51 6,448
 01-20-2016, 08:52 AM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 08:50 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: When I go back to the store I'll check out the cleansing bar and their other products.  I only checked out shaving related items the first time I was there. Everything is the store is pricey.

For me everything in the Wet-shaving world is pricey...just a tad  Biggrin

30 470
 01-20-2016, 10:26 AM
User Info
The shaving serum is terrible. The bowl is nice but way overpriced. I purchased one and a stainless steel one from a flea market for 1.00 and I use the 1.00 bowl more.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

1 43
 01-20-2016, 03:47 PM
User Info

Give it a go.  They may have changed the formula since I last tried it (about 6 months ago).  And they are always happy to hand out samples here.

I must admit I struggled to get it to lather with a badger brush, but I haven't tried it with a synthetic.  That might make a bit of difference.  The lather I did get dissipated quickly and I almost felt like I was shaving dry.

Keen to hear your reports on the sample.

1 81
 01-20-2016, 03:53 PM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 08:39 AM)amaro5211 Wrote:

Thanks for all the background I am excited to try this cleansing bar soon.

I really rate the cleansing body bar.  it smells great and doesn't dry your skin out like many soaps can. 

It is sold in a massive 310g (or 10.9oz) slab.  I cut it in thirds before taking it to the shower.  I typically get about 4 months from a full slab, so you get a lot of use from it.

1 81
 01-20-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
The cleansing bar is $25 for a large 10.9 oz bar.  These are the ingredients:

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Water (Aqua), Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Cananga Odorata Flower Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Disodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, d-Limonene, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate.

51 6,448
 01-21-2016, 10:56 AM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 03:47 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote:

Give it a go.  They may have changed the formula since I last tried it (about 6 months ago).  And they are always happy to hand out samples here.

I must admit I struggled to get it to lather with a badger brush, but I haven't tried it with a synthetic.  That might make a bit of difference.  The lather I did get dissipated quickly and I almost felt like I was shaving dry.

Keen to hear your reports on the sample.

This is exactly my experience with the shaving Serum. I really enjoyed the scent very much, also their AS balm smells great and performs very well... But pricey!
The shaving serum produced a very very light bubbly lather that disappears almost instantly.. I believe they produced it with the intention that it won't produce a thick creamy lather however other was "slippery" as they like to indicate. Lather lacked any sort of volume, cushion or whatever we may wanna call it.
Surprisingly shave went smooth just not fun or pleasant!
Keep in mind this review was based on 3 samples.. Believe I got 4 shaves out of them!
I certainly won't be buying this product as I enjoy my soaps and creams much more!! Also price is a factor here

I have to say I really enjoyed the AS balm and planned on buying a full tube of it but really never did.

The shave bowl is also outstanding, perfect dimensions of a lathering bowl and looks very classy and well made. Worth mentioning that Aesop didn't design or produce the bowl. Rather it's designed by a Japanese modern artist Sori Yanagi who happened to receive many awards for his contemporary furniture/kitchen designs. Not sure of the bowl is one of the things he received an award for but the bowl comes in many sizes, believe 6-7 different sizes designed originally with the intention to use as a kitchen set and Aesop utilizes the 13cm version as a lathering bowl

18 788