01-19-2016, 08:45 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
I bought this razor a few years ago, and forgot that I owned and recently rediscovered that it's my collection. Once I examined it, I saw that some teeth are bent, but that's secondary to the TTO mechanism being shot. Completely kaput.

That leads me to my question - is this razor beyond rehabilitation? If not, who does these types of repairs and restorations?

[Image: ea75bb780a940ec511d9c84825e74aab.jpg]
[Image: 94648f4c4ab6d097803559b8fa685003.jpg]
[Image: 9bf58ae65089957a73ece9e809cfcb8d.jpg]

27 860
 01-19-2016, 09:00 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Gillette razors from that era are extremely serviceable, but that one looks to be in pretty bad shape. Brass can usually be bent if it is deformed, but those end caps are split, and I don't know of a good way to repair that.

I do not restore razors, as others on this forum do, so I'll be watching this thread intently. If that kind of damage can be repaired, I would really enjoy seeing how it's done.

Best of luck to you, brother!

22 828
 01-19-2016, 09:56 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Your  razor is going to take a little time to repair if someone will undertake such a task.There is a gentleman over at badger and blade who in some respects is a miracle worker with razors if he,ll respond back. He goes under the moniker of Captain Murphy, he is the army reserves and my be deployed. 

Chris loves a good razor challenge and is a good and honest man. He has fixed a few razors for me as well as razors for many others. The issue is connecting up with him. By the way 19s are very hard to come by and the english razors always presents a repair challenge.

51 434
 01-19-2016, 11:31 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Parts can sometimes come up. It might be asking restorers who might have the bits and pieces. Either that or your razor itself could be cannibalised for other Aristocrats of the same type and year.

0 1,767
 01-20-2016, 04:17 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
Yeah, this razor is going to present a problem for me. I want to repair and restore this razor because it is so hard to come across one, otherwise I would have tossed it when I saw just how damaged it was.

Craig, I think the comb is bent from the previous owner using a lever if some sort, and using the comb for leverage while shutting the doors. I've never tried to fix bent teeth before, so this presents the second part of the repair dilemma for me.

27 860
 01-20-2016, 04:19 AM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-19-2016, 09:56 PM)bijou Wrote: Your  razor is going to take a little time to repair if someone will undertake such a task.There is a gentleman over at badger and blade who in some respects is a miracle worker with razors if he,ll respond back. He goes under the moniker of Captain Murphy, he is the army reserves and my be deployed. 

Chris loves a good razor challenge and is a good and honest man. He has fixed a few razors for me as well as razors for many others. The issue is connecting up with him. By the way 19s are very hard to come by and the english razors always presents a repair challenge.

Thanks for the tip amigo! I'll hit him up in a few days.

27 860
 01-20-2016, 12:56 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
IF you do attempt the repair I'm sure all of us would love a "Before & After" post if your successful.

16 785
 01-20-2016, 01:31 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have corrected bent teeth before, but it is much more difficult than you'd expect, and it has the potential to go catastrophically bad. Best I can tell, when Gillette was done forming the razor, they put it through a process that hardens the brass. (Maybe this is annealing, or maybe I'm confusing that process with another...) At any rate, this changes the metal from relatively soft to hard and brittle. I was successful at un-bending a single tooth on a NEW Deluxe, but I had to bend the metal VERY slowly. I had a NEW LC that I tried the same process on and ended up snapping off the tooth. I used a screwdriver and very, very carefully, applied pressure to the tooth to bend it back into place. You also need to be very careful about what you leverage the screwdriver against. If you just pry it against the next tooth, it will most likely bend the good one, then you'll have two bent teeth.

All told, if you really want to be sure to not damage the razor any further, I think finding someone with experience is your best bet. Also, someone with access to those end caps, because I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do to fix those.

22 828
 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(01-20-2016, 01:31 PM)chamm Wrote: I have corrected bent teeth before, but it is much more difficult than you'd expect, and it has the potential to go catastrophically bad. Best I can tell, when Gillette was done forming the razor, they put it through a process that hardens the brass. (Maybe this is annealing, or maybe I'm confusing that process with another...) At any rate, this changes the metal from relatively soft to hard and brittle. I was successful at un-bending a single tooth on a NEW Deluxe, but I had to bend the metal VERY slowly. I had a NEW LC that I tried the same process on and ended up snapping off the tooth. I used a screwdriver and very, very carefully, applied pressure to the tooth to bend it back into place. You also need to be very careful about what you leverage the screwdriver against. If you just pry it against the next tooth, it will most likely bend the good one, then you'll have two bent teeth.

All told, if you really want to be sure to not damage the razor any further, I think finding someone with experience is your best bet. Also, someone with access to those end caps, because I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can do to fix those.

Bingo! That's my challenge right now, which is why I'm reaching out to fellow Nookers with ideas and resources to whom this project should go to.

27 860
 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Brass can be tempered much like steel. When I reloaded some arcane firearm casings I would often submerge them in partially cold water and slowly heat the exposed parts with a small torch. Repeated expansion and resizing of cases  produces work hardening until they crack from brittleness. The
most important next move is not to make one until you know how, who or if it can be done.  You have one shot at this.

2 3,171
 01-20-2016, 08:22 PM
User Info
there are very few people i know that could even attempt to repair that or try i should say. its pretty rough :/

2 359