01-20-2016, 02:11 PM
User Info
I'm thinking that a Simpson Emperor may be a future brush purchase.  I'd love to hear what any people that own an Emperor have to say about their brush as it could be a pretty pricey purchase depending on The knot size and hair type. I primarily face lather, and use both soaps and creams.  Thanks in advance.

0 26
 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
No experience with that particular model but I do have a new Chubby 2 in Best. It was quite a bit over my budget but hey, what the heck right?  I now kind of wish I had gotten it in a Super. Mine is a little scritchy and there are some stiffer, sharp hairs that poke like needles. I'm hoping it softens up a little but I've read conflicting reports on whether badger breaks in or not. If it doesn't I might part with it which is a shame as it's my 1st high end brush and I love the quality of it. So if you don't like scritchy brushes maybe look at the Super.

0 91
 01-20-2016, 02:55 PM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 02:24 PM)shavealife Wrote: No experience with that particular model but I do have a new Chubby 2 in Best. It was quite a bit over my budget but hey, what the heck right?  I now kind of wish I had gotten it in a Super. Mine is a little scritchy and there are some stiffer, sharp hairs that poke like needles. I'm hoping it softens up a little but I've read conflicting reports on whether badger breaks in or not. If it doesn't I might part with it which is a shame as it's my 1st high end brush and I love the quality of it. So if you don't like scritchy brushes maybe look at the Super.

I also purchased a Chubby 2 in best. In my experience badger certainly does break in. It gets a little softer, but the main difference I notice is in its ability to generate lather.

As for the OP's question, I don't own an emperor but I've borrowed an emperor 2 on several occasions. I think it's a great bowl lathering brush, but when it came down to the wire I selected a Rooney Emillion 2 which felt like it would fulfill a similar role for me. Since you primarily face lather I might consider another option since IMO the handle is better for bowl lathering.

3 1,484
 01-20-2016, 07:40 PM
User Info
(01-20-2016, 02:55 PM)NeoXerxes Wrote:
(01-20-2016, 02:24 PM)shavealife Wrote: No experience with that particular model but I do have a new Chubby 2 in Best. It was quite a bit over my budget but hey, what the heck right?  I now kind of wish I had gotten it in a Super. Mine is a little scritchy and there are some stiffer, sharp hairs that poke like needles. I'm hoping it softens up a little but I've read conflicting reports on whether badger breaks in or not. If it doesn't I might part with it which is a shame as it's my 1st high end brush and I love the quality of it. So if you don't like scritchy brushes maybe look at the Super.

I also purchased a Chubby 2 in best. In my experience badger certainly does break in. It gets a little softer, but the main difference I notice is in its ability to generate lather.

As for the OP's question, I don't own an emperor but I've borrowed an emperor 2 on several occasions. I think it's a great bowl lathering brush, but when it came down to the wire I selected a Rooney Emillion 2 which felt like it would fulfill a similar role for me. Since you primarily face lather I might consider another option since IMO the handle is better for bowl lathering.

0 26
 01-20-2016, 07:56 PM
User Info
Sorry guys, still new to the forum and having some issues posting properly.  I like the larger handle on The Emperor.  I currently own two brushes:  A Simpson Case (C1) in Best, and a Semogue 830 Boar.  I find the handle on the Case to be too small, and It's not comfortable in My fairly large hand.  When I ordered it, I believed that it was a safe choice as it could always be used for travel if I didn't like it for daily use, and Simpson's Best grade is considered good bang for the buck.  The  handle on the 830 is shaped differently, But is more comfortable for me due I believe, to its larger size.  I have read great things about The Emperor and saw that the handle is large as well, and thought that it might work for me. I thought that this might be a a brush to spend some coin on.  If it's a bad choice for face lathering, I can look at something else.

0 26
 01-20-2016, 08:15 PM
User Info
I like the handle on the Emperor, but have never purchased one because I find the knot diameter to be less than I prefer.  I imagine it excels at bowl lathering.

51 6,454
 01-20-2016, 08:18 PM
User Info
I find all of the knot sizes of the Emperors a bit small for me as I prefer larger brushes, 27mm +.

Have you ever considered getting a custom handle made by one of the great brush-handle artisans on here and having them set a TGN 2-Band Finest knot in it?
That might be a very good option and you can get whichever handle shape and colour you would like. Shy

Having said this, if you like the look of the Emperor handles and you prefer medium-sized knots, then good luck.

83 21,115
 01-20-2016, 10:14 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
I have an Emperor 3 and had a 2, both in Super.  If you like long (~60mm) slender handles they are wonderful brushes.  My E3 has a loft of 53mm and although it is only a 21mm knot it's very densely packed an has sufficient back-bone for me, although obviously not as much as a Chubby.  

I don't buy into short handles for face-lathering and long for bowl, because as long as the bowl isn't too deep I can lather each way on either handle.  With the higher loft of my E3 it also feels like a bigger brush - very similar in size to my Shavemac 24/48.  Personally I love it and it makes a nice change / contrast to using a CH2.  I also have found Simpsons Best to be too scritchy for me but both my E2 and E3 are wonderfully soft.  However, because the handle is slender it does not feel like a big handle to me, if you want a big handle feel in Simpsons Super then it has to be a Polo.

I hope that helps - Paul.

1 225
 01-21-2016, 05:53 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Ok what you need is a picture of some taller handled brushes...

[Image: s0ojr7w.png]

Then some first hand experience.

The Emperor 3 is IMO the bowl lathers epitome of a wet dream. The handle is long and slender and it doesn't clack around a scuttle or bowl. However the knot is smaller than the average face lather prefers. Don't get me wrong, the Emperor is as good at face lathering as any brush, but it does lack some presence.

The Polo however, has a big handle. It feels big in the hand and big on the face. For those that like a big handle and enjoy face lathering, the Polo is a much better choice IMO.

Other handles to consider (in the Simpson range) would be the PJ3 for a solid handle, but slightly less dense knot, or the M7 if you like the shape of Emperor.

99 18,011
 01-21-2016, 06:41 AM
User Info
[Image: s0ojr7w.png]

Butterscotch Polo 8 in Manchurian - how rare is that?  It's a beauty Ben.

51 6,454
 01-21-2016, 09:01 AM
User Info
Wow. Awesome collection of Brushes.  The Polo looks like a monster.  The Brown M7 is Beautiful. What is the color called?  Is the Handle Acrylic?

0 26
 01-21-2016, 09:10 AM
User Info
Thank for all the great input gents.  The willingness of folks within the wet shaving community to share their expertise never ceases to amaze me.  The brush purchase won't be for a couple of months yet, but that will just give me time to do some hands on research.  We have Merz Pharmacy, aka Q Brothers, aka Smallflower here in Chicago and they have both the Polo and the Emperor listed on the Smallflower Web Site.  I'll be able to drop bye and examine each prior to making my decision.  Perhaps both brushes will eventually make it into my den......  One never can tell!

0 26
 01-21-2016, 09:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-21-2016, 09:01 AM)Windy City Wrote: Wow. Awesome collection of Brushes.  The Polo looks like a monster.  The Brown M7 is Beautiful. What is the color called?  Is the Handle Acrylic?

The colour is Briar.

99 18,011
 01-21-2016, 10:05 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I had an Emperor LE Manchurian. I liked the brush well enough but did not believe the brush was worth the price. I sold the brush bought 2 other brushes with the money. Recently I aquired The Emperor in Special Badger and am much happier with the brusch and it's price point. Get the brush in Special or even Best.

70 1,098
 01-21-2016, 10:35 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-21-2016, 10:05 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I had an Emperor LE Manchurian. I liked the brush well enough but did not believe the brush was worth the price. I sold the brush bought 2 other brushes with the money. Recently I aquired The Emperor in Special Badger and am much happier with the brusch and it's price point. Get the brush in Special or even Best.

Special badger? Do you mean Super?

99 18,011
 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-21-2016, 06:41 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: [Image: s0ojr7w.png]

Butterscotch Polo 8 in Manchurian - how rare is that?  It's a beauty Ben.

Thank-you Ricardo!

99 18,011
 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM
User Info
I am loving the 58... Cheers

30 470
 01-21-2016, 11:02 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I use my E3 in 2 Band and Super for face lathering 

[Image: 7yJnhnW.jpg]

39 1,897
 01-21-2016, 11:08 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have an Emperor 2 with super badger and love it.  It's the perfect size for me, has soft tips and some backbone, but not too much.  The handle is very traditional, comfortable to use and aesthetically pleasing.  I own 8 Simpson brushes and no other is better than the Emperor.

7 938
 01-21-2016, 11:23 AM
User Info
The E3 knot in Super runs about 21x50mm.  As much as I like the looks of the handle, it just would not have enough backbone for me.  With those numbers, I wouldn't find it had enough backbone even in 2 band or Manchurian.

51 6,454