01-20-2016, 10:34 PM
  • vitduck
  • South Korea
User Info
Hi everybody,

I have a Gillette Aristocrat Junior with a minor issue.
When inserting the blade and turning the knob to tighten its door, I notice that the silos do not sit at exactly same height. One of them is slightly higher than the other.
I can use my finger to push the loose one in place. Although this issue does not affect the quality of the shave, it still bothers me somewhat.
Had I lived in the States, I could send it for tune-up service. So, I wonder if there is a simple fix.

Has anybody tried to fix this issue ? If so, would you mind share you solution ?

0 18
 01-20-2016, 10:41 PM
User Info
Am not sure I get what the issue is but FWIW they never start closing at exactly the same time/point

8 1,210
 01-21-2016, 06:02 AM
User Info
I'm also interested in the responses to this question.

51 6,454
 01-21-2016, 06:20 AM
User Info
If you do a Google search for "fixing Gillette tto", you'll find some articles and videos which may be helpful.

51 6,454
 01-21-2016, 07:53 AM
User Info
I used an article from Badger and Blade to fix mine.

30 470
 01-21-2016, 08:53 AM
User Info
I did not read the "sitting" part. My bad.
Can you post some pics of the head and the problem? (including a pics of its narrow sides, probably where the problem is)
Just FYI, Brit Gillette's tend to be trickier to fix than US made counterparts.
Can we post a BnB link here?

8 1,210
 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM
  • vitduck
  • South Korea
User Info
@ lloydrm:
Thanks! I will try to post the pictures when I get back home.

@ TheLegalRazor, amaro5211:
I found some relevant information following your suggestions.
Perhaps I can do something for my Aristocrat along those lines.
Thanks guys!

0 18
 01-21-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
My guess is that if you look at the end of the head where the end caps are they will be sitting at a slight angle.  In other words not flat and parallel to the baseplate.  Which will cause one door to sit higher and one lower when closed.  Without pictures I'm just guessing.

If that's the case it's not too hard to tweak it back into shape. 

But would make sure that was the issue before you start pushing and tweaking it. Smile

20 108
 01-21-2016, 08:32 PM
User Info
Maybe if you post pictures your problem can be diagnosed better and you'll get suggestions for a solution.

51 6,454
 01-23-2016, 07:09 AM
  • vitduck
  • South Korea
User Info
[Image: 9aFOVJZ.jpg]

It was difficult for me to take the picture due to the shineness of the razor head.
As you can see, the left door almost touches the central bar while the right one has a ~ 1mm gap.
Such gap can be closed if I push the right door down.

Pardon my ignorance, but which part of the head is the 'end caps' ?

0 18
 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
The end cap is the piece of metal with mitered ends that sits at the base of the head. One of my red tips has an ever-so-slightly-out-of-kilter end cap that impedes the complete opening of the silo door, but with the tiniest of nudges the door opens fully. It doesn't have any negative effect on the door closing or on the quality of the shave. I'm not qualified to make the repair so I just leave it alone.

Fwiw the folks at Razor Emporium can probably fix it pretty inexpensively. Depending on your shipping costs you may or may not want to look into it.

7 2,379
 01-24-2016, 05:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Just re-read your OP. Didn't realize you're in South Korea. Likely not cost effective for you.

7 2,379
 01-25-2016, 11:04 AM
User Info
best way would be to take it apart and work on the T bar / end cap assembly on its own. Really just needs to be reshaped with a pair of jeweler's pliers. Common fix on early TTO razors. Thx!

0 220