01-20-2016, 11:19 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Hey gents,

Im thinking of getting some st James of London cream. I need to get some input from you gents. I read online that the same company makes trumpers  cream also,the reason I asked is because I already own many trumpers creams. Are trumpers and st James made with the same formula/ingredients. Which is the more superior?

0 80
 01-21-2016, 02:39 AM
User Info
GFT, SJoL and TH, are made by Creightons, and their bases are very similar. SJoL doesn't have parabens (whereas the other two, mostly do), and it contains many different moisturizers/lubricants, for example, olive and almond oils (whereas the other two, don't). Nevertheless, in terms of latherability, slipperiness/glide/protection, they are, all, quite similar, I find. I would give the nod to SJoL, but mainly because my skin slightly disagrees with some GFT offerings. On the other hand, GFT might completely agree with your skin (YMMV). With all that said, personally, I've had the most success (in pretty much every category) with TH UC.

0 420
 01-21-2016, 02:43 AM
User Info
I don't own any Trumpers creams but I do have the St. James Cedarwood & Clarysage and it's a really nice cream in fact it one of my favorite soaps/creams period. All natural ingredients and whips up into and easy thick, slick lather. Cedarwood & Clarysage alao has a very nice scent. Actually all the St. James products have nice scents IMHO. Post Shave it also terrific, skin feels hydrated and very smooth. Also if your into packaging it comes in the same heavy glass container that MDC does. As I said I don't yet own any Trumpers but I would recommend the St. James products to anyone.

3 908
 01-21-2016, 04:32 AM
User Info
I own a tube of the SJOL Mandarin and Patchouli that I use when I travel.  The performance is top notch.  Incredibly easy to lather with very little product, thick creamy lather, slick, great post shave feel. However, I find the scent strength to be a bit weak for my personal preference. That said it has a permanent place in the den as my grab and go cream.  Great performer.

6 223
 01-21-2016, 05:13 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I have used the entire St. James of London series and found them superb in every way. The other big three brands, Trumper, Truefitt & Hill and Taylor of Old Bond Street — I have tried them all through the years — although produced by Creighton, don't quite come up to the level of St. James. Good stuff.

145 2,946
 01-21-2016, 05:43 AM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 02:39 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: GFT, SJoL and TH, are made by Creightons, and their bases are very similar. SJoL doesn't have parabens (whereas the other two, mostly do), and it contains many different moisturizers/lubricants, for example, olive and almond oils (whereas the other two, don't). Nevertheless, in terms of latherability, slipperiness/glide/protection, they are, all, quite similar, I find. I would give the nod to SJoL, but mainly because my skin slightly disagrees with some GFT offerings. On the other hand, GFT might completely agree with your skin (YMMV). With all that said, personally, I've had the most success (in pretty much every category) with TH UC.

Was not aware of this.  I have two tubs of GFT and noticed that they do have parabens.

48 5,708
 01-21-2016, 06:30 AM
User Info
St. James is fantastic stuff. I have not tried XPEC or AdP (most people's top choices) but SJoL and L'Occitane Cade Rich (in the jar) are tied for first position in my personal shaving cream list.

15 1,018
 01-21-2016, 07:51 AM
User Info
St. James is nice but definitely a Creightons product. The price point and value are both excellent, but I find that there are better creams on the market for me. I certainly prefer ADP and XPEC, and will likely prefer Santa Maria Novella once I finally acquire a tub.

3 1,484
 01-21-2016, 02:29 PM
User Info
I can tell you from my experience, St James of London is a better brand.  I own four tubs of the creams (Sandalwood & Bergamot, Black Lime & Pepper, Cedarwood & Clary Sage and Mandarin & Patchouli).  All of these smell more refined, and less synthetic than the Trumpers creams I've tried which were GFT and Limes scents.  I hated these, for one they did not perform as well as the SJOL creams, and again, they smelled very synthetic, fake, and just were not up my alley.  Now, I hear that Trumpers Coconut is the bomb but I have not tried it.

SJOL has excellent packaging, nice slickness, solid cushion and again, really nice scents of which I highly recommend the Sandalwood & Bergamot as well as the Mandarin & Patchouli.  

You know what you can do? SJOL sells a sampler package on their website and Maggards sells the same sampler.  Its $5, try it.  This sampler caused me to buy three of the cream tubs, and I eventually bought a fourth.

1 468
 01-21-2016, 04:38 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I have Trumper and have had SJOL Cedar wood and Clary Sage. They both work superbly for me. Flip a coin

7 2,279
 01-21-2016, 06:01 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
St James place is one of the high end niegborhoods of  London. Anybody slapping their product with it's association better be good.

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 06:05 PM
User Info
ST. James is a quality product, I love my tub of Cedarwood & Clarysage!

3 908
 01-21-2016, 06:09 PM
User Info
Perhaps it may be an update to the formula, but I do think that St James works slightly better (for me) than Trumper's. Generally speaking I find it to be more slick and protective.

3 1,484
 01-21-2016, 09:25 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
Gents,

I'm back got caught up with things, I just now got to read the posts, so basically GFT and sjol made by the same Co. But they are made entirely with different ingredients. Sounds like the Sjol is the superior all the way around. I have to give that sampler pack a try!

0 80
 01-22-2016, 01:31 AM
User Info
I own all 5 new St. James pot versions. Great cream.
Not quite Xpec, ABC, Acqua di Parma and SMN great, but close. I would rank it very close to Baume.Be cream in quality - perhaps just slightly lower, the scents are all quite mild but elegant.
I also own 5 creams from GFT, 8 creams from TOBS & 8 creams from Truefitt & Hill. All these made by Creighton. St. James is IMHO a step above the others in quality, from cushion, glide, protection, scent blending, packaging (glass pot is Martin de Candre like in quality) to overall presentation.

It's TOP NOTCH STUFF, and for the price only Musgo Real can really compete with it regarding quality of cream/lather.

24 5,839
 01-22-2016, 03:05 AM
User Info
FWIW, per TSN posts by @suffolksupplies (Connaught Shaving), TOBS and DRH are no longer made by Creightons.

0 420
 01-22-2016, 03:34 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 03:05 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: FWIW, per TSN posts by @suffolksupplies (Connaught Shaving), TOBS and DRH are no longer made by Creightons.

Ok, when did they change ?
This could explain why my last TOBS perform better than the old ones (COCONUT, peppermint, cedar wood and grapefruit)

24 5,839
 01-22-2016, 04:01 AM
User Info
Difficult to say exactly when, but here is a dated post:

(06-25-2015, 03:47 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: FYI TOBS like D R Harris has not been made by Creightons for some time now.

They still make St.James, Trumpers & T&H.

0 420
 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 04:01 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Difficult to say exactly when, but here is a dated post:

(06-25-2015, 03:47 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: FYI TOBS like D R Harris has not been made by Creightons for some time now.

Parabens free.

1 157
 01-22-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 09:22 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 04:01 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Difficult to say exactly when, but here is a dated post:

Parabens free.

Ah, I see, so it's now been about a few years since Creightons last manufactured for TOBS and DRH. Thanks!
(I guess time will tell who currently manufactures for TOBS & DRH.Smile)

0 420