01-21-2016, 02:18 PM
User Info
It was suggested that i start a tattoo thread. There has almost always been a connection between barber shops and tattoo shops. Back in the hayday of tattooing alot of shops would actually share a location with a barber shop. Im a tattooer of 18 years and have always loved the American traditional style of tattooing and have been drawing and painting wet shaving designs long before i even considered picking up a brush. So with all of that rambling show us your tattoos.[Image: IkNOojJ.jpg]fun fmj helmet i did on a marine client of mine. He loves American traditional so thats the style we did it in[Image: 8lYy9Am.jpg]couple more ive done[Image: IL8w0Mw.jpg]

8 99
 01-21-2016, 02:22 PM
User Info
Sweet Pictures Buddy Bow

26 470
 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM
User Info
Ha!  I have the full Metal jacket helmet as well mine says something different though

0 127
 01-21-2016, 02:51 PM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 02:40 PM)John Wayne Wrote: Ha!  I have the full Metal jacket helmet as well mine says something different though

Do tell sir

26 470
 01-21-2016, 03:06 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I can't upload pics. My stencil ( CG slang for tats) is a Lyle Tuttle butterfly on my left forearm. It's nothing like the colors and art level of today but
artists still recognize it. It was a 'gift' from my buddies a few months before my separation. All these 'sandcrabs' or guys who had never served at sea
were walking around base with a new one every two weeks when the eagle s***. My mates insisted I had to get at least one. So I did.
For two weeks everybody laughed at it, made innuendos about my sexuality. Only one Senior CPO liked it. He knew maritime folklore and said they were symbolic of  a sailor's soul and prevented drowning.
Then the movie PAPILLON was shown at the base theater and a dozen crabs got butterflies and acknowledged how salty I was.
A lifetime later I'm attending a Greek Orthodox Church and this fey, Joni Mitchell blonde starts attending. She had lovely butterfly tattoos from her neck down one side to her ankles. Everyone sort of looked at her in dismay and she was about to leave. I rolled up my sleeve and sat next to her.
We left after services and she let me see the rest.

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 03:06 PM)kav Wrote: I can't upload pics. My stencil ( CG slang for tats) is a Lyle Tuttle butterfly on my left forearm. It's nothing like the colors and art level of today but
artists still recognize it. It was a 'gift' from my buddies a few months before my separation. All these 'sandcrabs' or guys who had never served at sea
were walking around base with a new one every two weeks when the eagle s***. My mates insisted I had to get at least one. So I did.
For two weeks everybody laughed at it, made innuendos about my sexuality. Only one Senior CPO liked it. He knew maritime folklore and said they were symbolic of  a sailor's soul and prevented drowning.
Then the movie PAPILLON was shown at the base theater and a dozen crabs got butterflies and acknowledged how salty I was.
A lifetime later I'm attending a Greek Orthodox Church and this fey, Joni Mitchell blonde starts attending. She had lovely butterfly tattoos from her neck down one side to her ankles. Everyone sort of looked at her in dismay and she was about to leave. I rolled up my sleeve and sat next to her.
We left after services and she let me see the rest.

Thats awesome kav! Was it done by mr. Tuttle? People can be way too judgmental but it seems to be alot more acceptable now than even 20 years ago

8 99
 01-21-2016, 03:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Himself

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 03:43 PM
User Info
Nice tat work. None on me, but can appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-21-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 03:41 PM)kav Wrote: Himself

I am a little envious. I would love to have a tattoo by mr. Tuttle he was a bit of a pioneer and very well respected. Would love to see a photo of it, and thank you for your service.

8 99
 01-21-2016, 03:52 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Tattooing has a very interesting history. the word comes from TAU TAU Polynesian for the sound of their needles being tapped. People have been doing it worldwide. The frozen mummy 'Oetsi' has linear tattoos that match up with known acupuncture meridians from China and of course the Maori are known for perhaps the most intricate, lengthy and PAINFULL ones. tattooing reappeared in the west with British sailors returning from the Cook explorations and they became the rage in London.
What people overlook is tattooing used for cosmetic reconstruction for pigment loss, reducing the visible signs of scarification and even creating the illusion of thicker hair in transplants.

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 03:57 PM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 03:52 PM)kav Wrote: Tattooing has a very interesting history. the word comes from TAU TAU Polynesian for the sound of their needles being tapped. People have been doing it worldwide. The frozen mummy 'Oetsi' has linear tattoos that match up with known acupuncture meridians from China and of course the Maori are known for perhaps the most intricate, lengthy and PAINFULL ones. tattooing reappeared in the west with British sailors returning from the Cook explorations and they became the rage in London.
What people overlook is tattooing used for cosmetic reconstruction for pigment loss, reducing the visible signs of scarification and even creating the illusion of thicker hair in transplants.

I was doing some reading on Oetsi's tats the other day. It's amazing they are over 3500 years old and still visible. So far the oldest found but they state it goes back even further through the ages. Gotta love history!

147 3,539
 01-21-2016, 04:03 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Human body modification is fascinating in all it's varieties. I laugh at kids with piercings and ear plugs or diamond rails in their teeth trying to shock me. I just start talking anthropologist shop about  other cultures and they often turn sort green under the goth makeup.

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
Sadly most have no idea of its roots and do more for "fitting in" and shock value of mommy and daddy. It's funny that most people think pirates wore earrings for looks. They actually had a 2 part function. One being there is a pressure point in your ear that subsides hunger and two, the ball on them was used as ear plugs. During battle and cannon fire just flip them up and pop them in.

147 3,539
 01-21-2016, 04:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I humiliated a speaker at this wierd political cum religious rally. He was going apopleptic over the evil Russians and how we should purge ourselves
of everything and anything Russian. I took umbrage right there; on account of my platonic snow maiden girlfriend Yasha. I said everyone had to take off their pants;men,women,old and young. EXCUSE ME,SIR? take themm off, now. Pants are an invention of Steppe horsemen from Russia. TAKE THEM OFF.

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 04:14 PM)kav Wrote: I humiliated a speaker at this wierd political cum religious rally. He was going apopleptic over the evil Russians and how we should purge ourselves
of everything and anything Russian. I took umbrage right there; on account of my platonic snow maiden girlfriend Yasha. I said everyone had to take off their pants;men,women,old and young. EXCUSE ME,SIR? take themm off, now. Pants are an invention of Steppe horsemen from Russia. TAKE THEM OFF.

I did not know that! Thanks for the knowledge!

147 3,539
 01-21-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
Excellent kav!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-21-2016, 04:24 PM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
I suggested this thread and thanks for hearing me Matt! Great tattoos! Lovely stories from kav! It looks like it's going to be a good thread.

0 1,053
 01-21-2016, 04:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Earlier people; like Oetsi had leggings but they were still 'unprotected' in the crotch with a tunic providing cover. The steppe peoples invented the stirrup which made for more 'close contact' and vigorous riding and hence ancient levis.

2 3,171
 01-21-2016, 04:30 PM
User Info
More pictures....work sucks

26 470
 01-21-2016, 04:34 PM
User Info
(01-21-2016, 04:29 PM)kav Wrote: Earlier people; like Oetsi had leggings but they were still 'unprotected' in the crotch with a tunic providing cover. The steppe peoples invented the stirrup which made for more 'close contact' and vigorous riding and hence ancient levis.

Yeesh! Just imagine the saddle sores before pants!

147 3,539