01-22-2016, 02:23 AM
User Info
Hey everyone, 

I'm not quite to the point of purchasing anything, i'll have to get past the wedding/honeymoon first, but I've been doing some research on a new pair of boots. I want them to be Durable, Comfortable, and something as versatile as possible. I will post a list at the end of this post with links to the boots that I like. My feet are difficult to fit because they're a US size 9 in all the shoes i've owned to date, but I was sized at an 8EE by redwing, and a size 9-6E by New Balance. My instep is incredibly tall, and i have an average arch. When i went to get sized for running shoes the lady called me Fred Flintstone. This being said if any of these boots are notoriously Narrow, or have low insteps that would be nice to know. 

The first boot is the Dayton Hard toe, which is a little more rugged and not so formal, but looks like it would work as an every day shoe due to my lack of true "formal" dress needs. For work I have been wearing New balance, and my attire is business professional...and since i'm allowed to wear new balance i'm sure that's probably stretched. My significant other says it's her favorite as well, so that's definitely a plus, and has heavy sway in the final decision due to her normal lack of an opinion. she seems to have to like something a whole lot before she'll offer an opinion.

the second is the Viborg Foreman, which is very aesthetically pleasing and has a reputation for being well made. 

The third one is Danner which i appreciate as it's a local OR manufactured boot, though i've been told that their quality has been lacking the last few years. And the looks of this boot aren't quite as nice as the first two. 

The last two boots are whites and Nicks which i've read have been sold, and have had possible QC problems as well.

Having done some research It looks like these will be the forerunners of everything i've found. 

Dayton's Hard toe Toughie
http://www.daytonboots.com/collectio...ant=2755813889

Viberg Forman 
http://workboot.com/products/viberg-55-x-foreman

Danner- Forest Heights II. Something like the Rio Latino or piedmont. 
http://www.danner.com/product/casual...-piedmont.html

Whites Semi-Formal horse Hide
http://www.bakershoe.com/product/hor...i-dress-whites

Nick's boots Roberts boot- 
http://www.bakershoe.com/product/cus...ts-nicks-boots

9 149
 01-22-2016, 05:38 AM
User Info
So these are to be work boots? Under what conditions and hardness of use? What will you be walking on? How will you care for them? (or not at all)

32 6,445
 01-22-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 05:38 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: So these are to be work boots? Under what conditions and hardness of use? What will you be walking on? How will you care for them? (or not at all)

I work on concrete floors and work 8 to 16 hour days generally walking on concrete floors. I rarely have no exposure to harsh chemicals though slip resistant would be nice. At work it is primarily walking and standing.  Also, I am by no stretch of the imagination skinny, so tend to abuse my foot ware a bit more than average

If they are comfortable enough for work they will be my work boots, if not then they'll be my daily living boots. I need an upgrade in both aspects honestly. 

As for caring for them I haven't researched frequency or brand enough but would wash and condition them as recommended. It seems every boot maker has their own brand of boot care supplies that they swear work best.  And if appropriate I would wax them as well, and I INTEND to buy a pair of cedar show trees if appropriate.

9 149
 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM
User Info
If you need one thing steel toe, slip resistant, great for concrete floors, and helps if you have foot pain, check into the Timberland Hyperion boots. Best work boots I have owned. I also have planters in my heels from concrete floors and these have been a God send!

147 3,460
 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 12:15 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: If you need one thing steel toe, slip resistant, great for concrete floors, and helps if you have foot pain, check into the Timberland Hyperion boots. Best work boots I have owned. I also have planters in my heels from concrete floors and these have been a God send!

+100 the timberland titans were one of my favorite boots. Redwings felt really good on my feet as well.

Only knock I'll give the timberland is durability. Now I did work a very hard job and all boots were about to fall apart by the time it was time for the company to pony up new boots.

0 127
 01-22-2016, 12:32 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Having once been in the Shoe repair and orthotic business several tips to consider....One get PROPERLY FITTED....avoid heat...and no matter how much you pay don,t wear them every day...they need to "rest" between wearings for moisture to dissipate and /or remove insoles to air out at night. If even pays to buy 2 pair because you will get much more wear and comfort...the material breaks down and much of the initial comfort is lost.

6 1,994
 01-22-2016, 02:44 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Agree with the proper fitting and resting the boots.  Every manufacturer has a different idea of a size 9 and nothing worse than wearing soggy/damp boots all day.  The local Red Wing sales person called me a "perfect 8 3/4".

There are many shoes designed for the service industry (bartender, servers, cook, etc.).  Red Wing makes a Postman shoe/boot.  Blundstone (Australia) makes nice boots and I had a pair of their service shoes.  I have heard that shoes from New Zealand and Australia are slightly wider than US shoes (my experience would agree - wearing McKinley of NZ boots as I type). My Blundstones are also wider.

4 299
 01-22-2016, 04:53 PM
User Info
I asked for a reason. There are two ways to go... boots so high quality that they will stand up and get repaired, or boots that are used for a time and then trashed. Where I worked I bought the latter because I knew that the chemicals would eat them up. But when not in the mill I wore what I wanted to and chose the former. I would wear them to work and then I'd remove them and donned the junk that I'd trash in a few years.

If you don't need steel toes look into a pair of Limmers. They're handmade and top quality and the shop can repair them. They might have a selection of soles, but mine are vibrams so I don't know. They are boots for a life time. I've had many "work boots", but my Lowa Civettas and my Limmers I've had for life. The Lowas I've had for over 40 yeqrs and the Limmers for maybe 20 years. I was in the poop where I worked and never put my Limmers through that; just my work boots. I have no idea what they cost today. I know when I bought mine that I paid dearly for them. They will easily outlast me.

I think if you google them you'll find them, but you won't find them on the shelf. They will be worth the wait for them to be made. As I wrote, I don't know what they sell for today. Maybe you want to be sitting down when you find out.

32 6,445
 01-24-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 04:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I asked for a reason. There are two ways to go... boots so high quality that they will stand up and get repaired, or boots that are used for a time and then trashed. Where I worked I bought the latter because I knew that the chemicals would eat them up. But when not in the mill I wore what I wanted to and chose the former. I would wear them to work and then I'd remove them and donned the junk that I'd trash in a few years.

If you don't need steel toes look into a pair of Limmers. They're handmade and top quality and the shop can repair them. They might have a selection of soles, but mine are vibrams so I don't know. They are boots for a life time. I've had many "work boots", but my Lowa Civettas and my Limmers I've had for life. The Lowas I've had for over 40 yeqrs and the Limmers for maybe 20 years. I was in the poop where I worked and never put my Limmers through that; just my work boots. I have no idea what they cost today. I know when I bought mine that I paid dearly for them. They will easily outlast me.

I think if you google them you'll find them, but you won't find them on the shelf. They will be worth the wait for them to be made. As I wrote, I don't know what they sell for today. Maybe you want to be sitting down when you find out.

Thanks brian!  Wednesday I'm planning on going to Eugene where I can get an official sizing done by Baker's Shoe.  They should at least be able to help me figure out what specifically I want, and give some advice.  20-40 years is pretty impressive amount of time to have a pair of boots!  The limmer's aren't all that expensive (perspective-they are cheaper than whites) though on their website they have a photo journal and I thought it was pretty impressive that they were used to climb Everest.

9 149
 01-24-2016, 01:31 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 12:15 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: If you need one thing steel toe, slip resistant, great for concrete floors, and helps if you have foot pain, check into the Timberland Hyperion boots. Best work boots I have owned. I also have planters in my heels from concrete floors and these have been a God send!

i'll have to look into them, I just lost a pair of synthetic safety to timberland pro boots that I have had for about 6 years of light use.  I took them on a 3 mile walk the other day and the heel began to split all the way around, and the sole towards the front began to split also.  It had no problems, and as soon as I begin to think about how long they lasted, they blew up.

9 149
 01-24-2016, 01:34 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 12:18 PM)John Wayne Wrote:

+100 the timberland titans were one of my favorite boots. Redwings felt really good on my feet as well.

Only knock I'll give the timberland is durability. Now I did work a very hard job and all boots were about to fall apart by the time it was time for the company to pony up new boots.

excellent, thanks for letting me know.  I've looked into the redwing, but they don't offer wide in enough of their boots, and they will look like elf shoes if I size them up until they fit the width. Smile Timberland though, I'll have to look and see what they have to offer

9 149
 01-24-2016, 01:37 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 12:32 PM)Harvey Wrote: Having once been in the Shoe repair and orthotic business several tips to consider....One get PROPERLY FITTED....avoid heat...and no matter how much you pay don,t wear them every day...they need to "rest" between wearings for moisture to dissipate and /or remove insoles to air out at night. If even pays to buy 2 pair because you will get much more wear and comfort...the material breaks down and much of the initial comfort is lost.

Wednesday I go up to a place that is notoriously great to work with that sells several brands of books li'm looking at.  he should be able to size me and answer any of the size related questions I have.  I've heard that two pairs of shoes is extremely important, as well as shoe trees to help remove moisture from the shoe to prevent material breakdown.  And if you buy two pairs of shoes, the total life of the two pairs of shoes is longer than the sum of each separately,

9 149
 01-29-2016, 10:45 AM
User Info
Right now I'm alternating between a pair of salomon quest 4d gtx boots and merrell saw tooth. Both are really good . Merrell feels lighter and breathes better but the salomon kills it when it comes to comfort or ankle protection . Both are great for traction . Toughness wise i give the nod to salomon.

Lot of guys have on Danner RAT and they swear by them . I'll stick to my 2 go toos.

0 127
 01-29-2016, 10:55 AM
User Info
Mephisto

0 75
 06-10-2016, 07:50 AM
User Info
I am a little late to this thread but wonder what boot was decided upon?  living near Baker boots I have found my favorites and purchased a boat load of different ones from them.  fit has been taken care of by Kyle and his crew at Bakers.  wearing a pair of Nicks boots now.  bought a pair of Lowa's that I love  learned many years ago how important fit really is. after shaving polishing shoes is one of my favorite quiet time hobbies.

73 1,262
 06-10-2016, 08:27 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Take a look at WHITE'S  packer boots. Their main product is a laceup western riding boot for-packers. They also build boots for loggers. You get a boot built to your measurements including arch. They aren't cheap, but have the quality of boots from the past. I have a pair from my Grand Canyon days that have been resoled 3 times and reheeled at least a dozen.

2 3,171
 06-10-2016, 05:20 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I've done the Iron Ranger Red Wings, 1000 Mile Wolverines and White's Semi-Dress. The latter far exceed the quality and longevity of the other two. I've owned my White's for a couple of years, and have toyed with buying a second pair but know that I'll never wear out my first pair (or if I do, I can have them completely restored). I haven't worn any of my other boots since I acquired my White's. Nick at Baker's can look at your foot and tell you exactly what you need. I am merely an urban hiker/public transit user, but in my climate with my foot, there's not a better solution. Buy once, spend the money.

5 316