01-22-2016, 06:16 AM
User Info
You folks in the path of the latest blizzard take care! We in the great frozen north have experience with driving in snow and ice and here's the best way to handle it. Driving secrets on snow and ice follow.

Unless you have a huge need to drive, stay off of it. Huge need could be described as needing to get to work or be fired, a medical emergency, or some such. A six pack for an evening of relaxation is NOT a good reason to be on the roads. One days pay is not a good reason. I always ask myself what is the upside and does it beat the downside which could be a vehicle wrapped around a tree and a trip to the hospital for myself or death. The upside needs to beat that. Bear in mind, we know how to drive on the stuff and have vehicles set up to do just that. There's a huge difference between being able to drive and having a genuine need to drive. There is no shame in staying safe.

Please stay safe.

OK, back to the weather channel. It appears you folks far south of Maine are about to get clobbered. This is one storm that we'll see only on the talking heads shows by the looks of it. I expect to see clouds and maybe a flake or two at most. But we have 8" of snow on the ground and that's enough for the season. What are the chances of that though? I can still take my ATV anywhere I wish to go and this is the latest that I've been able to do that in the past 20+ years. So far it's been an easy winter here. So far we've had winter cold for maybe 3 weeks with temps just a few degrees below zero (once), but mostly in the single digits to 20s at night and temps in the 20s and higher during the day. Those are actual readings without wind chill factored in. No complaints this year except my usual... I've had enough of this winter. Two more months and we'll start to see a huge turn around in it as the days get noticeably longer and the sun higher in the sky.

[Image: progress.gif]

32 6,459
 01-22-2016, 06:20 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Agreed.
We are expecting 2 feet here in central PA.

102 18,652
 01-22-2016, 06:35 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thank goodness, this one is going to miss us.  But I have faith that winter is not over and another one or two will hit us.  Everyone effected by this coming storm, heed Brian's advise, stay inside.

178 23,809
 01-22-2016, 07:01 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
You guys south of the border in the storms path stay safe. I fully agree that in such a snow storm not very much qualifies as a genuine need to be on the roads. If it is that bad I would not even worry about being fired for not being able to get to work. Plenty of times people up here could not make it to work under those conditions and were not fired. If they were to fired under those circumstances a wrongful dismissal action would be the upshot and the employer would likely eat it.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM
User Info
I had been seeing all the winter threats recently. Yes, please be safe.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-22-2016, 07:51 AM
User Info
Great thread, you guys back east be careful.. I've been driving in this stuff since I had a license.. Here a pic and yes that's snow....

[Image: Mxc2n89.jpg]

20 1,336
 01-22-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
Wow! That's beautiful, but scary at the same time.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-22-2016, 04:34 PM
User Info
Tappan, the difference between "us" and "them" (please forgive that folks) is that we have experience with it and unless one possesses that, the danger might not be immediately apparent. It can get deadly in a heartbeat and then it's just too late.

I carry all sorts of emergency gear and I'm sure you do as well Tappan, and even with that I still stay off the roads unless it's a true emergency. I can plow the snow ahead of me but I still just stay home under those conditions. I simply can't imagine those conditions without having the infrastructure required to handle it. Our road would be plowed out many times by the town while it was happening, but down there they simply don't have the plows and such to handle it.

For us 36" is a major storm even though the media turns 2" into a blizzard up here, and we just handle it and next day life goes on. But we aren't the middle atlantic states or the south.

But I have a question... I talked to my brother in NJ and he told me that he'd picked up milk earlier in the week just because they needed it. But he asked why the stores ran out of milk, eggs, and bread during an impending storm. He wondered if French Toast was something everyone wanted during a storm ? OK, that was partly in jest, but he was quite serious. What's up with that? Without electricity for refrigeration what good is that stuff? He did buy some canned soups and such and told me that the shelves were still full of them. Canned items make far more sense to me if the power is out. But what the hell do I know? We're just largely self sufficient no matter what happens. I'd miss the internet. We lost power for a week a few years ago during the winter (-80°F wind chill) and we did fine. We knew what was going on around us with short wave. We also went to bed earlier.

32 6,459
 01-22-2016, 04:38 PM
User Info
[Image: d2ufEvp.jpg]

MidTN family snow fun

31 8,057
 01-22-2016, 05:41 PM
User Info
Currently one of the ones getting clobbered. Already shoveled my drive and walks twice and you would never know. Has not stopped snowing since 5:30 this morning and supposed to continue through tomorrow into Sunday morning. Saying at least 24-30in when it all done. Currently sleeting and snowing at the moment. Still enjoying it though. My daughter is a January baby through and through. Had to literally pick her up and carry her in kicking to get her in and warm her up with promises she could go back out tomorrow! 

[Image: uviliZR.jpg]

147 3,537
 01-22-2016, 06:12 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Until my children were grown, winter weekends meant driving to the mountains for skiing, in all kinds of conditions. However, I drove a Suburban with studded tires, chains when necessary, and we were always well equipped for emergencies. You do learn to drive in those conditions, but I'm always fearful of others on the road without the proper equipment or experience. Storms seem to drive people out of the safety and warmth of their homes to places they don't belong, placing others in peril as well as those who have to rescue them.

Thanks for posting those wonderful photos of your children playing in the snow.

38 5,108
 01-22-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 06:12 PM)evnpar Wrote: Until my children were grown, winter weekends meant driving to the mountains for skiing, in all kinds of conditions. However, I drove a Suburban with studded tires, chains when necessary, and we were always well equipped for emergencies. You do learn to drive in those conditions, but I'm always fearful of others on the road without the proper equipment or experience. Storms seem to drive people out of the safety and warmth of their homes to places they don't belong, placing others in peril as well as those who have to rescue them.

Thanks for posting those wonderful photos of your children playing in the snow.

Richard, you summed it all up perfectly.

20 1,336
 01-22-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
Cute kids guys. My son would love it if it snowed down here . I can count on my fingers the number of times its snowed in Houston.

Stay safe everyone.

80 947
 01-22-2016, 08:52 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
We are pretty much smack dab in the middle of it's path. Not bad yet. 6 or 8 inches, and no blizzard yet.

2 1,683
 01-23-2016, 04:57 AM
  • skeptik
  • The Piedmont, VA
User Info
So far in Central Virginia, we have had about a foot of snow with as much as another foot coming.  Problem for today is the wind, up to 30 mph coming in off the coast, power WILL BE lost I'm afraid.  Roads, of course, virtually impassable, but that is to be expected, we are not prepared for these storms, thank goodness they don't come often.  It is pretty out there.

0 295
 01-23-2016, 04:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My kids use to love to play in the snow until old dad handed them a shovel and they discovered it was work.  Work and play just seem they do not go together.

178 23,809
 01-23-2016, 05:09 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(01-22-2016, 06:20 AM)Agravic Wrote: Agreed.
We are expecting 2 feet here in central PA.

Now expecting 24-36".

102 18,652
 01-23-2016, 05:16 AM
User Info
I actually look forward to it to a point. Something about being the only one outside and there is just this perfect silence. The air is fresh and the only sound is the Shovel and your footsteps in the snow. Just peaceful. 

Here's a couple of quick pics. Looks like its supposed to stop this afternoon. 
My car when it started yesterday, my car this morning. It's now a minivan lol. Unable to open door this morning so 2nd pic had to be taken through the window. Hard to tell I already shoveled the driveway twice. 

[Image: lKZdcVx.jpg] 
[Image: ClhEMD5.jpg]

View from my upcoming babies room I just finished. Yesterday and today. The birdbath on the left near the swing set just keeps getting smaller. My Koi pond is covered to only half its size.

[Image: bUzizrk.jpg]
[Image: Jj9lVel.jpg]

147 3,537
 01-23-2016, 05:26 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 01-23-2016, 05:41 AM
User Info
Beautiful view Ravi!

147 3,537