01-22-2016, 08:40 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Fellow Nookers,

I'm curious about should I use my high end badger brushes with soaps that produce off white-brown lather.
I'm not comfortable with it as I think these soaps may color my brushes.
What do you think?

0 1,053
 01-22-2016, 09:12 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Aleksey,

I used the Barrister & Mann Lavanille for two shaves and then threw it in the garbage. The coloring in it mucked up the towel, the sink and the brush. The soap reminds me of Meisner Tremonia's Strong and Scottish something-or-other. I threw that one away, too.

145 2,948
 01-22-2016, 09:30 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
(01-22-2016, 09:12 AM)Obie Wrote: Aleksey,

I used the Barrister & Mann Lavanille for two shaves and then threw it in the garbage. The coloring in it mucked up the towel, the sink and the brush. The soap reminds me of Meisner Tremonia's Strong and Scottish something-or-other. I threw that one away, too.

Obie, 

I love the scent and the performance. I guess the color comes from fragrance oil.
I use this soap with mostly synths and occasionally boars.
Would like to use my Paladin and Chubby, too.

0 1,053
 01-22-2016, 09:35 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-22-2016, 09:30 AM)Aleksey Wrote:

Obie, 

I love the scent and the performance. I guess the color comes from fragrance oil.
I use this soap with mostly synths and occasionally boars.
Would like to use my Paladin and Chubby, too.

Aleksey,
I liked the scent, too, and the lather performance. The coloring is what turned me off of the soap.

145 2,948
 01-22-2016, 09:40 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Used that soap many a time with my high end badgers with zero ill effect, I promise. Same goes for Leviathan, no issues at all.

143 1,983
 01-22-2016, 09:51 AM
User Info
I actually believe that the color is due to oxidation of the vanillin. More than likely it will wash off with no staining. However, I can understand the concern.

31 8,055
 01-22-2016, 10:31 AM
User Info
I use my synthetics with the more strong colored soaps/creams, just to be on the safe side.

I generally avoid buying the colored soaps/creams for this very reason.

I also own B&M Lavanille, but has yet to use it......

24 5,842
 01-22-2016, 10:37 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Thanks for sharing your opinions gentlemen, much appreciated.

(01-22-2016, 10:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I use my synthetics with the more strong colored soaps/creams, just to be on the safe side.

It has a lovely scent when it is lathered Claus, you should try it soon.

0 1,053
 01-22-2016, 11:01 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 09:40 AM)Shanman Wrote: Used that soap many a time with my high end badgers with zero ill effect, I promise. Same goes for Leviathan, no issues at all.

+1
I tried it twice with my badger brushes and I never noticed any detrimental issue caused to my brushes. My olfactory senses, on the other hand, were very overwhelmed and I had to stop using. Shy

82 21,056
 01-22-2016, 12:42 PM
User Info
The only products that I have ever heard of staining badger hair are Trumper's and D.R. Harris rose shave creams.  However, even these are reported to eventually wash out.  The very brown soaps you have referred turn into a slightly off white color when lathered and will have detrimental effect on your brushes.

73 2,199
 01-22-2016, 01:09 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
A lot of soaps that use real vanilla will turn tan/brown due to the oxidation.  If it says vanilla on the label and the soap doesn't turn brown, then you know they're using synthetic/fragrance oils.
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't affect the brushes at all unless you leave the lather to dry on the brush.
Shame you tossed out those soaps Obie. Sad

47 1,901
 01-22-2016, 01:23 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 01:09 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: A lot of soaps that use real vanilla will turn tan/brown due to the oxidation.  If it says vanilla on the label and the soap doesn't turn brown, then you know they're using synthetic/fragrance oils.
I'm pretty sure it shouldn't affect the brushes at all unless you leave the lather to dry on the brush.
I know! Could have passed it along!

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(01-22-2016, 10:31 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I use my synthetics with the more strong colored soaps/creams, just to be on the safe side.

Claus my friend...are you back to using synthetic brushes?? Shok

159 1,316
 01-22-2016, 10:09 PM
User Info
I have no issues with colored soaps, B&M Fougere Aromatique (green), Lavanile or Strong and Scottish. They do not stain my brushes, and when rinsed thoroughly they do not leave much smell on the brush either.  Lavanille is one of my all time favorite scents so I do not mind if my brush smells like it.

11 435
 01-22-2016, 10:24 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:16 PM)Steelman Wrote:

Claus my friend...are you back to using synthetic brushes?? Shok

No No, only the KONG, and as my travel brush.

By the way I own 7 of the Meissner Tremonia soaps and 7 of the their pastes and mmost of them have strong colours, and they have yet to stain my badger brushes.

24 5,842
 01-23-2016, 05:10 AM
User Info

(01-22-2016, 01:09 PM)Mr_Smartepants Wrote: A lot of soaps that use real vanilla will turn tan/brown due to the oxidation.  If it says vanilla on the label and the soap doesn't turn brown, then you know they're using synthetic/fragrance oils.

Seems to be a growing trend.  Hmm

0 73
 01-23-2016, 05:36 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-23-2016, 05:10 AM)LAParker Wrote:

Many of the soaps that I don't like end up in the shower, or are given to friends who might like them. The Lavanille I couldn't give away to a friend. Oh, it lathered well, and cushion and glide were acceptable, but that coloring really turned me off. My shave den is immaculate, with everything clean and tidy. Lavanille made a mess of things, including my white face towels, which I change daily.
I don't particularly care for artisan soaps — with some exceptions, of course — but I do like Barrister & Mann's Latha and Vetyver Santal. The Lavanille is not for me.

145 2,948
 01-23-2016, 06:10 AM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 05:36 AM)Obie Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 05:10 AM)LAParker Wrote:

Many of the soaps that I don't like end up in the shower, or are given to friends who might like them. The Lavanille I couldn't give away to a friend. Oh, it lathered well, and cushion and glide were acceptable, but that coloring really turned me off. My shave den is immaculate, with everything clean and tidy. Lavanille made a mess of things, including my white face towels, which I change daily.
I don't particularly care for artisan soaps — with some exceptions, of course — but I do like Barrister & Mann's Latha and Vetyver Santal. The Lavanille is not for me.

Goodness Obie, if ever there's a soap you are going to toss let me know. You binned two of my favorites, and I'm one of those frugal types who never likes to let anything go to waste! As a note, I've used many dark/different colored soaps and have never seen issues on either my brushes or my white towels (Ikea).

43 207
 01-23-2016, 07:07 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-23-2016, 06:10 AM)drivenlegend Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 05:36 AM)Obie Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 05:10 AM)LAParker Wrote: Seems to be a growing trend.  Hmm

Goodness Obie, if ever there's a soap you are going to toss let me know. You binned two of my favorites, and I'm one of those frugal types who never likes to let anything go to waste! As a note, I've used many dark/different colored soaps and have never seen issues on either my brushes or my white towels (Ikea).

Nate, my friend, I will keep you in mind when it comes to retiring soaps and creams.
Stay well,
Obie

145 2,948