01-22-2016, 09:24 AM
User Info
Here is a little post I got off facebook that West Coast Shaving posted. Our hobby is growing.

West Coast Shaving
Good news. Our Market is growing! Thanks to people like you supporting the wetshaving movement. In a recent report the men's grooming shaving category has grown steadily at 5.5% in recent years with wet shaving alone climbing at an alarming 7%! We know this is a little nerdy, but we wanted to give thanks to all of you for making this growth happen!

5 1,537
 01-22-2016, 09:47 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 09:24 AM)shave/brush Wrote: Here is a little post I got off facebook that West Coast Shaving posted. Our hobby is growing.

West Coast Shaving
Good news. Our Market is growing! Thanks to people like you supporting the wetshaving movement. In a recent report the men's grooming shaving category has grown steadily at 5.5% in recent years with wet shaving alone climbing at an alarming 7%! We know this is a little nerdy, but we wanted to give thanks to all of you for making this growth happen!

I've been wetshaving since 1981 and I remember when the wetshaving movement started way back when they turned on the internet. I remember when John was selling blade sampler packs out of his house. West Coast Shaving has come along way's since the early day's. 

Clayton

6 627
 01-22-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
As one of the newer shavers (I've been wet shaving for less than a year), I will say that I bought all of my starter gear at West Coast Shaving and I'm extremely happy with the community and the much better quality of my skin.  I went from using electric trimmers to wet shaving daily and I couldn't be happier and I feel much more professional at work. Thanks to West Coast Shaving for being such a great product retailer and for helping me pick up not only a new hobby, but a new process in my grooming and hygiene routine!

0 9
 01-23-2016, 08:02 AM
User Info
This is great news. I wish I did a better job at converting people. Friends and coworkers just think I'm crazy for using a DE.

0 1,072
 01-23-2016, 09:26 AM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
Yeah, I thought for a bit I might convert my father and brother-in-law, but now my family just humors me about my eccentric hobby. Glad to hear the movement is growing.

18 277
 01-23-2016, 10:27 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Wetshaving fulfills more than a BBS to face the world daily. How many men have felt emasculated by 'jobs' without joy, changing social roles ( a good and bad thing) and proxy exhibitions of maleness with Monday Night football? We've seen shops open with shaving kit, SS hip flasks, cigars
and pocket knives. Forums dedicated to men's 'fashion' where a pair of AE Park Avenues are our MWF doppleganger and they sortie with more
bling than an east L.A. lowrider. I left when a HEATED discussion over Tussie-Mussies VS Pocketsquares came to cyber blows.
The economy is bad. It may get worse. People are weary of buying crap. We may think it as plastic, GMO corn, Myly Serious or the ballad of the Beverly Hillbil- er Kardashians receiving more attention than an aid worker's death.
So, people seek out something tangible for the intangibles taken from us. A woman becomes a hoarder, people are found with hundreds of cats or dogs in filthy homes while they live outside in a tent, gun sales of firearms have exponentially increased and these REALLY odd people buy enough
shave kit to sheer the sheep flocks in Australia ( 4 passes). At least ours is kept behind the closed door of the bathroom- even if it takes on the grandeur of Tiffanys'. 7%? I think it will be 25% in a few years. Keep preaching people.

2 3,171
 01-23-2016, 10:44 AM
User Info
Yes this is a great hobby. It turns a necessary chore into something we can enjoy and even look forward to.  Most of us buy much more than we need but that is what keeps it interesting and fun. Before shaving became a hobby for me I use to shave with my Trac II razor, a cheap badger brush and my Old Spice soap & mug. I enjoyed it then but I enjoy it much more now.

5 1,537
 01-23-2016, 06:35 PM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 08:02 AM)Shannon Wrote: This is great news.  I wish I did a better job at converting people. Friends and coworkers just think I'm crazy for using a DE.

...of course I'm also the only one in my department that wears overshoes in bad weather, and they think I'm weird for that, too.  But COME ON, PEOPLE!  You gotta protect your shoes!

0 1,072
 01-28-2016, 02:44 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-23-2016, 06:35 PM)Shannon Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 08:02 AM)Shannon Wrote: This is great news.  I wish I did a better job at converting people. Friends and coworkers just think I'm crazy for using a DE.

...of course I'm also the only one in my department that wears overshoes in bad weather, and they think I'm weird for that, too.  But COME ON, PEOPLE!  You gotta protect your shoes!

That's why I wear sneakers and dungarees 99.9% of the time (with a shirt and tie, of course).

Don't feel bad, Brian. I've spoken to about two dozen guys about the joys of traditional shaving. So far I've converted three that I know of. Perhaps a few more that I don't know of... I stop and talk to strangers who are shopping in the shaving aisle in pharmacies, supermarkets and Costcos. Maybe not too surprisingly, most people there are interested in a brief conversation. I can't tell you how many times they've referred to the "bald guy from that TV pawn show."

7 2,159
 01-28-2016, 02:50 PM
User Info
I've gotten 3 guys at work converted. One guy went full blown in less than a month and is already using a straight and bought a Simpson Chubby 3 as his second brush. Most everyone else thinks I'm nuts about it though, especially my friends. It's like they can't be bothered.

0 76
 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM
User Info
I don't have much luck converting guys either. It seems they are quite happy with their vibrating Fusion razor and canned goop.

5 1,537
 01-29-2016, 08:18 PM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
I have managed to convert two fine gentlemen from work. I have been doing the best I can to enlighten the masses.  Biggrin

0 360
 01-29-2016, 09:55 PM
User Info
I am extremely new to wet shaving, however in the short time ive been involved ive noticed more and more gear popping up in all of the stores around here target, walmart etc. Mostly the vdh kits but still really cool to see a couple of my coworkers converted the same time i did but i took it quite a bit further than they did.

8 99
 01-29-2016, 10:58 PM
User Info
That's good news.  I for one know I'm never going back to cartridge hell.

My hope is that the movement will grow enough so we'll start seeing the good products regularly on store shelves.  It was pretty cool seeing a new Art of Shaving store for example come to one of our local malls.  Uber expensive, but they wouldn't have taken a chance on opening those stores if they didn't believe there was a market for it - so despite their prices, it's good to see that.

0 377
 01-30-2016, 06:15 AM
User Info
Have faith guys I was able to convert my daughters 22 year old boyfriend. He swears he is never going back. It may be slow going but through word of mouth and forums like this it will just keep getting bigger and bigger.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

0 94
 01-30-2016, 06:47 AM
User Info
At least someone who wants to give "gourmet shaving" a try can get a good start with one of those VDH kits in Target or their local drug store.

5 1,537
 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM
User Info
(01-30-2016, 06:47 AM)shave/brush Wrote: At least someone who wants to give "gourmet shaving" a try can get a good start with one of those VDH kits in Target or their local drug store.
That's exactly how I started. Didn't take me long to move on to something better though.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

0 94