01-22-2016, 01:04 PM
User Info
This morning I shaved with a newly acquired soap, SV Tundra Artica.  Like all SV soaps it performs amazingly and I had a great shave...however the scent made me sneeze.  This hasn't happened with other shave soaps so I was somewhat taken aback...I know others have had more severe allergic reactions to soaps with particular ingredients or scents and I'm curious to hear about those experiences...

33 548
 01-22-2016, 02:12 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I loved the performance of my Italians....ABC, Boellis.....but I developed a sensitivity...a burning...from the almond.

149 1,238
 01-22-2016, 02:18 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
Funny, I have been considering using MWF but I am still very concerned about the lanolin, since I had a really bad experience a while back, and since I've eliminated all lanolin I have not had a recurrence.
Almost started a poll/thread asking who is lanolin sensitive.
I don't know if it was the specific soaps' formulations I was using at the time, or if it was indeed the inclusion of lanolin specifically.

55 2,412
 01-22-2016, 02:20 PM
User Info
Anything with sweet almond oil except CRSW. Tried Cella, Saponeria Artigiana, a host of others, all light my skin up.

15 1,010
 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:12 PM)Steelman Wrote: I loved the performance of my Italians....ABC, Boellis.....but I developed a sensitivity...a burning...from the almond.

I have the same reaction to the Italian soft soaps.

45 17,741
 01-22-2016, 02:46 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:12 PM)Steelman Wrote: I loved the performance of my Italians....ABC, Boellis.....but I developed a sensitivity...a burning...from the almond.

Most unfortunate! ABC and Boellis are two almond soaps that never seem to bother my skin allergies.

3 1,484
 01-22-2016, 02:54 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Unfortunately for me there are a few that burn my skin:

CRSW Fall LE
CRSW Vetiver V2
CRSW Spiced Amber
Beaver Woodwright Captain's Pipe

111 1,370
 01-22-2016, 04:46 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Last time I used GFT Sandalwood cream, I noticed a burning.... But since then I noticed that Anything with spices in the scent tend to give me a hint of burn. Usually tolerable and nothing drastic.

55 2,412
 01-22-2016, 09:36 PM
User Info
I guess it's good that I only sneeze with one soap ( and a handful of fragrances).  No burning...I'm sorry you guys had to experience that.

33 548
 01-22-2016, 10:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have extremely fair Irish skin. It's weird; I avoid a list of chemicals, yet I can wear rough, lanolin rich woolens next to my skin and MWF ( I need to buy more) was my first 'OH YES' moment in wetshaving. The SV is marvelous stuff. But after a week the Flying Mango decided we weren't friends anymore. I think it's the essential oils. I gifted it to an Italian friend who uses straights and they
became sympatico.
I've only had one similar, and far worse encounter. I bought an 'artisan soap' off of ETSY scented in NAG CHAMPA- a sort of Sandalwood on Steroids and the favoured incense in Hindu temples. I had to literally jump into the shower undressing under cold water.I had 3rd degree burns and couldn't shave for a week.

2 3,171
 01-22-2016, 10:44 PM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
The worse reaction I've had was with Mike's Naturals Almond.  Red face just like severve sunburn, but that was no great loss as I found out I don't like Almond scents anyway.  

I get a mild tingling on many different soaps (no idea what causes it) and after three uses I finally admitted I was too sensitive to Krampert's Arcadian Spice Shaving Soap which I was incredibly gutted about as it was a stellar performer and smelt just like the ASL - that's the soap I'm most upset about being sensitive to.

1 209
 01-23-2016, 04:25 AM
User Info
Cella, I think it's the almond oil and MdC. Both gave me contact dermatitis on the sides of my neck. It's sad too because I loved them both!

21 555
 01-23-2016, 04:43 AM
  • P.B
  • UK
User Info
Accidental posting

1 209
 01-23-2016, 04:50 AM
User Info
I use to have a reaction to sandalwood products which was a bummer due to loving the scent. Started allergy treatments over a year ago and have found I can use it now. Not pushing it and only use it every so often and so far no issues. I call that a win!  Thumbsup

144 3,396
 01-23-2016, 05:18 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
CRSW Sandalwood lit me up, the only issue I've had to date with any product.

17 548
 01-23-2016, 06:30 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:18 PM)Nero Wrote: Funny, I have been considering using MWF but I am still very concerned about the lanolin, since I had a really bad experience a while back, and since I've eliminated all lanolin I have not had a recurrence.
Almost started a poll/thread asking who is lanolin sensitive.
I don't know if it was the specific soaps' formulations I was using at the time, or if it was indeed the inclusion of lanolin specifically.
Indeed, it's difficult to be absolutely sure, given that another substance(s) in the LOI, could have been the cause.
(Of course, a positive test using stand-alone lanolin/lanolin derivative(s), would provide specificity.)

Should you ever decide to try another lanolin-containing product though, you might want to test it on your (for example) anterior-upper forearm first, before your face.

0 384
 01-23-2016, 06:32 AM
User Info
Interesting that GFT Coconut cream - touted for sensitive skin - actually gave me a feeling of mild burn/numbness/tingling;
I got similar reactions to Italian soft soaps (e.g.: soft Valobra). 
On the other hand, I have no problem, in terms of skin reaction, using hard Valobra or hard GFT Coconut.

0 384
 01-23-2016, 07:20 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-23-2016, 06:30 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Should you ever decide to try another lanolin-containing product though, you might want to test it on your (for example) anterior-upper forearm first, before your face.

Sounds like the right move to me. Thanks for the reminder!

55 2,412
 01-23-2016, 07:38 AM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I had a bad experience with caties bubbles the one that's suppose to smell like fruit loops I never tried one of her other soaps after so not sure if it's her base of the scent. And maggards cinnaconilla lit me up pretty bad. Everything else has been fine

23 598
 01-23-2016, 08:06 AM
User Info
I recently acquired a tin of PPA Chocolate Bourbon in a lot I picked up here off TSN...At first I didn't know if the scent was right for me...but after receiving a day full of compliments I figured I'd keep it around

However, in my most recent shave immediately after my first pass I noticed 6 zit-like bumps raise up. I say zit-like because they are fairly hard knots with nothing in them. They are still present on my neck area about a week later now. 

I still wonder if this was a true allergic reaction or if possibly other variables are at play like a need for a blade change...I have not yet giving up on the soap until I determine the culprit.

1 85