01-23-2016, 09:28 AM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:18 PM)Nero Wrote: Funny, I have been considering using MWF but I am still very concerned about the lanolin, since I had a really bad experience a while back, and since I've eliminated all lanolin I have not had a recurrence.
Almost started a poll/thread asking who is lanolin sensitive.
I don't know if it was the specific soaps' formulations I was using at the time, or if it was indeed the inclusion of lanolin specifically.

I have had exactly the same problem with lanolin: just doesn't agree with my face.

Stanley

2 155
 01-23-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
Lots of artisans that use cheap fragrance oils. Some perform fine, but if they use crappy oils they often burn my face.

3 1,484
 01-23-2016, 09:50 AM
User Info
Regular scented LPL, Proraso, Tiki Captain, some Barrister and Mann. I realized Eucalyptus was one of my issues.

49 356
 01-23-2016, 09:54 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Mike's Hungarian Lavender for me. The other Mike's scents are fine.

Cheers, Steve

7 420
 01-23-2016, 05:11 PM
  • Nero
  • Saving Through Spending More
  • le montagne
User Info
(01-23-2016, 09:28 AM)radioman4 Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 02:18 PM)Nero Wrote: Funny, I have been considering using MWF but I am still very concerned about the lanolin, since I had a really bad experience a while back, and since I've eliminated all lanolin I have not had a recurrence.
I don't know if it was the specific soaps' formulations I was using at the time, or if it was indeed the inclusion of lanolin specifically.

I have had exactly the same problem with lanolin: just doesn't agree with my face.

Stanley

Thanks Stanley!
When you use lanolin, does your face just itch really bad (for days, like in my experiences, and it feels like the skin is getting prickled/itchy from a wool sensation), or do you actually get visual skin irritation (redness, blister, etc)?
What products have you used and noticed this?

55 2,299
 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:12 PM)Steelman Wrote: I loved the performance of my Italians....ABC, Boellis.....but I developed a sensitivity...a burning...from the almond.
I have the same reaction.

79 459
 01-23-2016, 06:02 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
 01-24-2016, 06:11 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I had a bad face infection about a year ago and from that time I stopped using soaps and creams that contain almond oil. That means I don't use anymore soft almond soaps like Cella, Figaro and I haven't tried any SV soap. In the past, I didn't have any problems using Cella or Figaro, but my dermatologist recommended me to stay away from this ingredient for some time. It can makes allergies getting worse.

49 1,877
 01-24-2016, 10:38 AM
User Info
I get irritation with soaps that contain cinnamon, cardamon, clove. Catie's bubbles LPV & also Saturday morning, CRSW spiced Amber. I was really bummed about the Spiced Amber, as it performs excellently and I really liked the scent.

17 776
 01-24-2016, 11:17 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(01-22-2016, 02:46 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 02:12 PM)Steelman Wrote: I loved the performance of my Italians....ABC, Boellis.....but I developed a sensitivity...a burning...from the almond.

I have the same reaction to the Italian soft soaps.
+2

The culprit here is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzaldehyde. A significant number of men are allergic.

(01-22-2016, 04:46 PM)Nero Wrote: Last time I used GFT Sandalwood cream, I noticed a burning.... But since then I noticed that Anything with spices in the scent tend to give me a hint of burn. Usually tolerable and nothing drastic.

I am also allergic to fake sandalwood. Real Sandalwood EO does me no harm though. Love the smell of sandalwood!

(01-23-2016, 07:20 AM)Nero Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 06:30 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Should you ever decide to try another lanolin-containing product though, you might want to test it on your (for example) anterior-upper forearm first, before your face.

Sounds like the right move to me. Thanks for the reminder!

Lanolin allergy is rare (1-4%; see http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/574162_6) but not unheard of. Those allergic to lanolin are generally also allergic to contact with wool.

Curses to them allergies!Almost makes one consider eating a tapeworm or two (referring to an experimental cure for allergies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helminthic_therapy) :-)

17 535
 01-24-2016, 11:42 AM
User Info
Unfortunately SdM. Love the shave and the scent. Very slick and post shave is wonderful but the fragrance caused some redness and burning sensation

8 752
 01-24-2016, 03:51 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 10:38 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I get irritation with soaps that contain cinnamon, cardamon, clove. Catie's bubbles LPV & also Saturday morning, CRSW spiced Amber. I was really bummed about the Spiced Amber, as it performs excellently and I really liked the scent.

Catie's Bubbles LPV lights me up for about an hour after I use it, and the shave is always uncomfortable.  It had to go.  Thankfully I was never a fan of the scent.

And it's also the reason why I haven't purchased the CRSW spiced amber.  I'm worried it will give a similar reaction.

1 81
 01-24-2016, 10:22 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 03:51 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote:
(01-24-2016, 10:38 AM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I get irritation with soaps that contain cinnamon, cardamon, clove. Catie's bubbles LPV & also Saturday morning, CRSW spiced Amber. I was really bummed about the Spiced Amber, as it performs excellently and I really liked the scent.

Catie's Bubbles LPV lights me up for about an hour after I use it, and the shave is always uncomfortable.  It had to go.  Thankfully I was never a fan of the scent.

And it's also the reason why I haven't purchased the CRSW spiced amber.  I'm worried it will give a similar reaction.

You might try CRSW Jardin D'Orange... It's fantastic! Even though spiced Amber didn't work out for me, I really enjoy CRSW offerings.

17 776
 01-25-2016, 05:45 AM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 05:11 PM)Nero Wrote:
(01-23-2016, 09:28 AM)radioman4 Wrote:

Stanley

Thanks Stanley!
When you use lanolin, does your face just itch really bad (for days, like in my experiences, and it feels like the skin is getting prickled/itchy from a wool sensation), or do you actually get visual skin irritation (redness, blister, etc)?
What products have you used and noticed this?
I just have a problem with itching and redness, usually for a day or two.  I have had a similar problem with a few other products, including those with very high menthol.   I do my best with products with no paragons and minimum ingredients, for example Tabula Rasa or Martin de Candre.

Some people have suggested it's not the lanolin, but other ingredients:  I am, for example, not allergic to wool, but I react badly to clothes washed in some powerful detergents (like Tide).  Who knows?  I just stick to the creams and soaps that don't bother me!

Good luck!

Stanley

2 155
 01-25-2016, 02:06 PM
User Info

It would seem I suffer from the same ingredients cinnamon, cardamom, and clove.  Which stinks because all of the great spiced blends just don't work for me. 

MW Gingered Cranberry Pear ( The only MW product I have ever had a problem with)
Dapper Dragon Signature (The only DD product I have tried)
Catie's Bubbles LPV.  (I have tried 3 CB soaps and all 3 give me different levels of irritation.)

6 210
 01-25-2016, 04:31 PM
User Info
Bathman (2 scents) 
LPL Original
MW coconut 
Old Spice cream 
Tiki Spice Islands 
LASS (3-4 scents) 
PAA cucumber 
RazoRock (3 scents)
occasionally
Stirling (2 scents)
Haslinger (5 scents including sensitive skin)

7 983
 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 10:22 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote:
(01-24-2016, 03:51 PM)Basilsniffer Wrote:

You might try CRSW Jardin D'Orange... It's fantastic! Even though spiced Amber didn't work out for me, I really enjoy CRSW offerings.

Cheers Mike. 

Me too. In the CRSW range I have the Oliva, Bergamot & Bay v2, and Savon no1, moderne fougere, and Puro Fresco in v1.

Really keen to try the Jardin D'Orange. And Sandalwood and Citrus. Hopefully they will all be released shortly in v2. Thanks for the endorsement.

1 81
 01-10-2017, 11:49 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
On another post, I mentioned that I recently had an allergic reaction to Dickens soap. My upper lip was itchy and red, it was almost painful. I applied two or three times a good moisturizing balsam to take care of it. I took the risk and used it again and on top of the itchy upper lip, I had a couple bumps on my neck that I had to use a topical antibiotic cream to heal them. Yesterday, I gave it away. I didn't want to use it anymore, I have plenty of other soaps that I enjoy using more.

I don't have a sensitive skin. On the contrary, I've used too many soaps and creams, I've lost the count, and the only two products I had reaction to was of the same company, B&M. I guess that my problem is the FO they use. I can't say if they're quality or not, I don't have that knowlegde, but it's the only company that I had issues with.

49 1,877
 01-10-2017, 11:53 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info

Ditto here.

102 18,169
 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
I've never had a bad skin reaction to any soap I've tried, but I have allergic rhinitis and I'm highly allergic to both cedar and juniper.  As you can guess, a lot of soap scents and colognes have cedar as a base note.  All of these cause allergy symptoms (runny nose, sneezing, itchy eyes, etc).  

So I'm severely limited in what types of scents I can get.

2 1,289