01-22-2016, 05:53 PM
User Info
Are there any shaving products that you use and say to yourself "Why do I use any other product?" After its use.   I had this experience today with the Haslinger Schalmilch soap.  Of course I could never be "monogamous", as it were, but still.....  I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this experience (other than the cult of MWF)?  For what it's worth, the only product that I'd never actually swap out is Thayer's Witch Hazel.

0 26
 01-22-2016, 05:57 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Unfortunately, and I'm being dead serious here, almost all of them!

I'll use a particular soap one day and think "why on Earth would I ever use anything different?" Then, the next day, I'll lather up a different soap and think "oh man, this is way better than yesterday!" This cycle continues, and I'll make it back to the first one, and I'll think "wait... why did I ever try anything different?"

22 835
 01-22-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
Happens to me often, especially with soaps and more recently with razors.  I also get the reverse anytime something goes wrong .... "Why did I use this when i have ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ & AABBCC, etc Smile

192 1,588
 01-22-2016, 06:04 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 05:57 PM)chamm Wrote: Unfortunately, and I'm being dead serious here, almost all of them!

I'll use a particular soap one day and think "why on Earth would I ever use anything different?" Then, the next day, I'll lather up a different soap and think "oh man, this is way better than yesterday!" This cycle continues, and I'll make it back to the first one, and I'll think "wait... why did I ever try anything different?"

Signs011   I think that's all of us lol.

148 3,594
 01-22-2016, 06:31 PM
User Info
Thats why this forum was made

30 470
 01-22-2016, 06:55 PM
User Info
I may have a few things that I say that about..................., except brushes, of course. Biggrin

83 21,110
 01-22-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
(01-22-2016, 06:04 PM)FreddieP318ti Wrote:
(01-22-2016, 05:57 PM)chamm Wrote: Unfortunately, and I'm being dead serious here, almost all of them!

Signs011   I think that's all of us lol.

+1. I have probably 15 - 20 soaps I feel this way about. 

Truly lucky to be living in an age where we have so many great options to choose from.

54 1,214
 01-23-2016, 03:57 AM
User Info

Lol, this is brilliant well written and very true when it comes to soaps.

The only thing that I have stuck to and only use solely is Thayers Witch Hazel.

4 642
 01-23-2016, 12:56 PM
User Info
Arko is my staple. I could shave with it every day. The reasons to use something else include adding a bit of variety and using a rich selection that was gifted to me.

0 37
 01-23-2016, 02:07 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
We are a mess

118 1,708
 01-23-2016, 02:49 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I have that same experience every time I use Haslinger as well. No need to use another...it's that good.
Savon du Moulin & Brutalt Bra Barbersape have produced those same thoughts as well recently.

42 1,041
 01-23-2016, 03:08 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Castle Forbes for me, both cream and balm.  Wow.

17 550
 01-23-2016, 03:46 PM
User Info
I'm dead serious here.

This evening I shaved off 2 days worth of stubbles.

I was late, but needed a shave.

I had a can of Proraso white shaving foam in the bathroom, which I use for my head shaves in the shower and for that other private area  Blush

Decided to go for that, but before that took 2 minutes extra trime and used a good amount of Proraso Green Pre shave cream - and really massaged it into my skin thoroughly.

Then - without taking a shower - just splashed some warm water on my head and face and applied the Proraso white canned goo.
But I applied it thoroughly, massaged it into the stubbles for 2-3 minutes, used a good amount of foaming goo.

Then took my travel Mühle Stylo Fusion razor with a Fusion cart (13.th or so use on it) and stropped the cart with my thumb under warm water and began the shave.

I shaved slowly, while in a hurry - if you know what I mean. The complete shave, head + face took me 20 minutes, 1 pass plus touch ups.
I got a DFS from it. No burning sensation, removed a LOT of stubbles, and after the shave just splashed cold water on my head and face.
No after shave, no face cream.
Then went out the door.

Now - 6 hours after my shave my skin feels soft, quite moist and pretty darn great.
Okay, It's not the same as when I use a high quality soaps & cream with a brush and the whole post shave ritual with after shave splash, after shave balm and then a face cream.

But my face and head feels really really soft and nice. I have no razor burn, No irritation what so ever.

I think this has to do with several things - better technique, the Proraso preshave cream, the attention to really massaging the canned Proraso white foaming goo deep into my stubbles, not just putting it on, and then shave. 
My technique is vastly improved, but I never really had awful shaves to start with using carts, I just began traditional wet shaving because I love the ritual and all the stuff that surrounds it - fragrances, after shaves, creams, soaps, bath soaps, brushes, rasors, blades, you name it - I love it.

But since a shave with a can of goo, a nice prre shave cream and Mühle Fusion with a cart that has been used 12-14 times can give me such a good shave, I often wonder what I'm doing always buying and buying new stuff, and using brushes, DE razors, blades, creams, soaps, after shaves....etc..etc...... when I can get such a good shave with such simple products  Huh

24 6,018
 01-24-2016, 10:52 AM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
barrister + mann software - soaps and aftershaves. for brushes, either simpson's manchurian chubbies or morris + forndran finest brushes. very hard to choose between those two.

41 666
 01-24-2016, 02:58 PM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 03:46 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm dead serious here.

I had a can of Proraso white shaving foam in the bathroom, which I use for my head shaves in the shower and for that other private area  Blush

Decided to go for that, but before that took 2 minutes extra trime and used a good amount of Proraso Green Pre shave cream - and really massaged it into my skin thoroughly.

Then - without taking a shower - just splashed some warm water on my head and face and applied the Proraso white canned goo.
But I applied it thoroughly, massaged it into the stubbles for 2-3 minutes, used a good amount of foaming goo.

Then took my travel Mühle Stylo Fusion razor with a Fusion cart (13.th or so use on it) and stropped the cart with my thumb under warm water and began the shave.

I shaved slowly, while in a hurry - if you know what I mean. The complete shave, head + face took me 20 minutes, 1 pass plus touch ups.
I got a DFS from it. No burning sensation, removed a LOT of stubbles, and after the shave just splashed cold water on my head and face.
Then went out the door.

Now - 6 hours after my shave my skin feels soft, quite moist and pretty darn great.
Okay, It's not the same as when I use a high quality soaps & cream with a brush and the whole post shave ritual with after shave splash, after shave balm and then a face cream.

But my face and head feels really really soft and nice. I have no razor burn, No irritation what so ever.

I think this has to do with several things - better technique, the Proraso preshave cream, the attention to really massaging the canned Proraso white foaming goo deep into my stubbles, not just putting it on, and then shave. 
My technique is vastly improved, but I never really had awful shaves to start with using carts, I just began traditional wet shaving because I love the ritual and all the stuff that surrounds it - fragrances, after shaves, creams, soaps, bath soaps, brushes, rasors, blades, you name it - I love it.

But since a shave with a can of goo, a nice prre shave cream and Mühle Fusion with a cart that has been used 12-14 times can give me such a good shave, I often wonder what I'm doing always buying and buying new stuff, and using brushes, DE razors, blades, creams, soaps, after shaves....etc..etc...... when I can get such a good shave with such simple products  Huh

0 26
 01-24-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 03:46 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm dead serious here.

Then went out the door.

Proraso White.  Ah Yes, a stroll down memory lane for me.  There is still a bit of romance there for me where Proraso white is concerned. It was the first more or less traditional soap/croap that I ever used.  I remember being new to wet shaving, not so young, but eager. Armed with only my Proraso White Pre/Post and shaving soap, a Merkur 38© and a sampler pack of DE blades, I set forth on the great adventure.  I also remember blood. Not rivers of blood mind you, but nicks, cuts and weepers on a more or less daily basis.  Obviously my lack of technique was much to blame for the carnage which had ensued, but eventually I found other products which worked better for me, and helped me on my journey.  The funny thing is, I still go back to my Proraso White from time to time, and have noticed that I have almost made it through the entire tub of the shaving soap, which will be a first for me.  And the scent..... It smells like Victory!

0 26
 01-24-2016, 03:32 PM
User Info
Sorry for the above post.  Not sure why it was encapsulated with the post I intended to quote.  I'm still learning the lay of the land here.  Apologies.

0 26