01-23-2016, 08:22 AM
User Info
Much like Sandalwood, I've been finding it difficult to understand what constitutes the truest expression of the Barbershop scent.  I'd love to hear opinions of what a barbershop scent should smell like (its component scents), and which soaps and aftershaves best give expression to this scent in your opinion. Is there any one brand that is considered the standard for the classic barbershop scent? Also, would you consider it to be a year round scent or just seasonal?

0 26
 01-23-2016, 08:41 AM
User Info
To me a Barbershop scent is a year round scent, as far as the quintessential one that's tough. I have or have had the following and rate them in this order rated on scent alone:

1) PAA CaD
2) Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
3) Maggards London Barbershop
4) B&M Seville
5) Le Pere Lucien Original Scent
6) Mickey Lee The Kracken
7) Strop Shop Baker Street

3 909
 01-23-2016, 08:53 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
There is a true sandalwood scent, as it's an oil extracted from trees of the genus Santalum. The oil is extremely expensive, and is rarely used in shaving soap. Therefore, there are a lot of imitations or blends (e.g. sandalwood + rose). 

Barbershop is a different story. What scent resembles that of an old-style barbershop to you, might be a totally different scent to me. I enjoy Mike's and Strop Shoppe barbershop scents for soaps, or perhaps Barrister & Mann Seville, although these don't smell like the barbershop I went to as a child in the 50's, which was more of a bay rum scent. A lot of people associate Pinaud Clubman with a barbershop scent, or perhaps Fine American Blend. There are many more scents that would be called "barbershop," and most are markedly different from one another.

38 5,032
 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM
User Info
Pinaud Clubman

61 1,710
 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM
User Info
The barbershops that I have been to don't seem to smell like any of the Barberhop-scented soaps that I have tried. Nonetheless, my favourite one that I have tried so far is Mystic Water Barbershop, followed closely by B&M Seville.

82 21,056
 01-23-2016, 10:21 AM
User Info
I'ed have to say Clubman Talcum Powder and whatever aftershave was being used that day. Usually it was Master's, or Stephen's version of AV Ice Blue. I remember it being more like Lucky Tiger Aspen Aftershave. My Barber bought it in gallon jugs and then decanted it into a clear glass bottle. I remember it was blue in color.

Clayton

6 625
 01-23-2016, 10:29 AM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 08:54 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Pinaud Clubman

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

87 892
 01-23-2016, 11:27 AM
User Info
(01-23-2016, 08:54 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Pinaud Clubman

YES!
TOBS makes or used to make a Shave Shop scent, that too.

1 309
 01-23-2016, 11:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Before he went out of business, WSO made a soap call Bill The Barber that is the best I've used.  Luckily I have several of these and when I feel nestolgic I use this soap.  Oh, and to me the best barber shop scented after shave is Floid Blue.

175 23,752
 01-23-2016, 11:46 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-23-2016, 11:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Before he went out of business, WSO made a soap call Bill The Barber that is the best I've used.  Luckily I have several of these and when I feel nestolgic I use this soap.  Oh, and to me the best barber shop scented after shave is Floid Blue.

Jim made an appearance on Twitter mid last year and stated he was back in business, but shortly later his wife Stephanie stated he had been hospitalised. I hope he is ok. I ordered his soaps, but sadly he was never able to supply them.

99 18,011
 01-24-2016, 12:08 AM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
(01-23-2016, 11:33 PM)Johnny Wrote: Before he went out of business, WSO made a soap call Bill The Barber that is the best I've used.  Luckily I have several of these and when I feel nestolgic I use this soap.  Oh, and to me the best barber shop scented after shave is Floid Blue.

I find the floid vigoroso to have a barber shop scent as well. Not too sure if it's the best cause I just don't lean towards barbershop scent

10 369
 01-24-2016, 02:27 AM
User Info
The answer is Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche. Nothing will ever beat it IMHO

24 5,843
 01-24-2016, 02:45 AM
User Info
This topic was briefly discussed on another forum. A lot of excellent ideas came to light:

1. - A "barbershop" scent differs per region/country - Cella: marzipan (Italy), Tabac (Germany), multiple (England, Jermyn St.  ......). Historically, there were one or few creams/soaps available in any one country/region. Clearly, these products would be widespread in barbershops, homes, etc. and would be labeled a "classic" barbershop scent in contemporary terms.

2. - Now, contemporarily speaking, the number of choices in creams/soaps is massive, relatively speaking. There are many products labeled "barbershops" scents. Some may capture classic barbershop scents from the past and some are new spins. The choices now are much greater than 100 years ago.

3. - The same could be said for fougeres and vetivers. 

4. - Contemporarily speaking: Most guy's 50 years old or younger are most likely, too young to have visited barbershops (in the classic sense). Their perspective and exposure to these scents is limited.

For what it's worth: As an American, the only "barbershop" scent I have used that screams barbershop is B&M's Seville. But, I'm still young and sexy, so my perspective is limited A6

0 122
 01-24-2016, 07:19 PM
User Info
Products that have a talcum powder note are the ones I associate with the barbershop. Pinaud Clubman, Master Bay Rum, and Spanish Floid.

38 1,159
 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
(01-24-2016, 02:45 AM)Nusquam Humanitus Wrote: This topic was briefly discussed on another forum. A lot of excellent ideas came to light:

1. - A "barbershop" scent differs per region/country - Cella: marzipan (Italy), Tabac (Germany), multiple (England, Jermyn St.  ......). Historically, there were one or few creams/soaps available in any one country/region. Clearly, these products would be widespread in barbershops, homes, etc. and would be labeled a "classic" barbershop scent in contemporary terms.

This is so true. The scent I.e. product used would be based on what's available in the country/area

Though there was florida water over here in Singapore.

10 369
 01-25-2016, 11:43 AM
User Info
I agree with most of the comments above.  In my experience, there are quite a few scents that can be considered barbershop type scents.  Powdery, Floral (Lavender), Bay Rum, Lemony, I've even heard some say they consider Sandalwood a barbershop scent.

For me, Pinaud Clubman Original is the number one scent that reminded me of the American barbershop (Owned and run by an Italian immigrant) that the men in my family went to when I was a kid.

As far as the scents that are typically labeled "Barbershop", I've used a few, and they have typically been in 3 variants

Powdery (Stirling)
Lavender (Mike's)
Lemony (TOBS Shaving Shop and WSP)

1 296
 01-25-2016, 12:08 PM
User Info
For an EdT I agree with Klaus: Rive Gauche.  For a shaving soap, I would say Pre de Provence or Klar Seifen (regular or Sport).  I remember old-time barbershops, and B&M Seville smells nothing like them to me.

3 543
 01-25-2016, 12:32 PM
User Info
My personal favorites so far in the "Barbershop" category with new manfacturers would be B&M Seville, Fine American Blend, and Stirling's Barbershop. I tend to associate Barbershop with the way my Grandfathers would smell after a shave, so that was a mix of soap, shampoo, and aftershave or cologne. They just hit those nostalgic scent notes for me.

Clubman Talc also brings back memories for me since I went to an older Barber when I was really little. That was in the mid-70's, but there were still a couple hold-outs left around here that did it old school.

5 49
 01-25-2016, 01:41 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
At the moment,  The extinct  TOBS Shave Shop and Floid Blue.

7 2,281
 01-25-2016, 02:25 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(01-25-2016, 12:32 PM)drjenkins Wrote: My personal favorites so far in the "Barbershop" category with new manfacturers would be B&M Seville, Fine American Blend, and Stirling's Barbershop. I tend to associate Barbershop with the way my Grandfathers would smell after a shave, so that was a mix of soap, shampoo, and aftershave or cologne. They just hit those nostalgic scent notes for me.

Clubman Talc also brings back memories for me since I went to an older Barber when I was really little. That was in the mid-70's, but there were still a couple hold-outs left around here that did it old school.

My eariest barbershop memories  are from the earearly to mid sixties when my old man used to take me to get a trim every time he got one, which was every other week. Base barber and the two aforementioned  nail it.

7 2,281