01-24-2016, 06:16 PM
User Info
I have come to the conclusion that the Feather AC Pro blades are the sharpest blades in the world. At least from my experience. I've tried just about all the DE blades that are popular on this site and even the DE Feathers, although they are probably the sharpest DE blade I think they have to take a back seat to the Feather AC blade. I also used the GEM stainless steel SE blades and they are not even close.
I've tried KAI AC blades and they don't quite feel as sharp at removing the whiskers as Feather.
Anyone else feel the same way about these blades? 

[Image: VVk8Vc1.jpg]

5 1,539
 01-24-2016, 06:30 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
Aren't the Pro Supers sharper?

They appeared to be significantly sharper the last time I used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 660
 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 06:30 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Aren't the Pro Supers sharper?

They appeared to be significantly sharper the last time I used them.

Do you feel the Pro Supers are significantly sharper than the Feather Pro?

5 1,539
 01-24-2016, 06:58 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
The last time I used them in an AC SS it certainly seemed that way.

It is possible that it may be down to blade gap though.

I'm not sure if the thickness of the blade will make a significant real-life difference either?

It's interesting to note than the Pro Light's are the same thickness as the Pro's but shave a lot more mildly.

I have some more Pro Super's on order to try in my Mongoose and will do a comparison to the Pro's when they arrive.

33 660
 01-24-2016, 06:59 PM
User Info
At this level of sharpness I highly doubt that we can sense a difference between the Pro & Super Pro. The Supers are both thicker & wider. This gives them more blade exposure in most razors & more steel behind the cutting edge. 

I've read them likened to straight razors. Where the Pro is like a 5/8 & a Super is a 7/8. Both can be equally sharp but may feel significantly different.

31 8,057
 01-24-2016, 07:05 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 06:59 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: At this level of sharpness I highly doubt that we can sense a difference between the Pro & Super Pro. The Supers are both thicker & wider. This gives them more blade exposure in most razors & more steel behind the cutting edge. 

I've read them likened to straight razors. Where the Pro is like a 5/8 & a Super is a 7/8. Both can be equally sharp but may feel significantly different.

This makes very good sense to me. Logical also.

5 1,539
 01-24-2016, 08:09 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 07:05 PM)shave/brush Wrote:
(01-24-2016, 06:59 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: At this level of sharpness I highly doubt that we can sense a difference between the Pro & Super Pro. The Supers are both thicker & wider. This gives them more blade exposure in most razors & more steel behind the cutting edge. 

This makes very good sense to me. Logical also.

I agree with sharpspine. Seems like they are the same sharpness , the supers are thicker and wider . I don't see how it could be productive to have 2 separate sharpening processes for those blades . Makes more sense to me to have thicker blades but the same sharpening process for all of them.

0 127
 03-26-2016, 07:00 PM
User Info
The Feather pros are incredibly sharp. 

Very enjoyable with the Mongoose, not so with the Cobra Classic  Angel

23 475
 03-26-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
(03-26-2016, 07:00 PM)mixershave Wrote: The Feather pros are incredibly sharp. 

Very enjoyable with the Mongoose, not so with the Cobra Classic  Angel

Which razor you use them doesn't matter, they are still the sharpest.

5 1,539
 03-27-2016, 08:58 AM
User Info
Feather Pros are superb blades.  I use them, generally, with a series 3 Mongoose, and get 10 solid near-BBS shaves with them.  The feel is, of course, very different from any DE blade, because the blade is substantially thicker, which -- among other things -- largely eliminates any blade flex, and holds up very well to a heavy beard.

As for using them with the Mongoose and/or the Cobra:  two different razors with very different feel.  In my Cobra Classic, the Feather Pros -- used carefully and with a light touch -- give a true BBS shave, closer than any other combination I have used.  It is a matter of the particular face, the particular user, and experience.  

The Pro Super is, as mentioned earlier, a thicker and deeper blade.  I find it works very well with my series 2 Mongoose, which is noticeably less aggressive than the series 3.  In the series 2, the pro super blades give a very fine shave, but are fairly aggressive:  you have to use a light touch and some care.   Not sharper: just different.

Stanley

2 155
 03-28-2016, 11:33 AM
User Info
There is absolutely no difference between the Sharpness of the Feather Pro blades and the super Pro Blades only difference being is blade exposure.

11 1,940
 03-28-2016, 01:44 PM
User Info
(03-28-2016, 11:33 AM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: There is absolutely no difference between the Sharpness of the Feather Pro blades and the super Pro Blades only difference being is blade exposure.

This is true. If there were a difference you could hardly tell the difference.

5 1,539
 05-24-2016, 01:43 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info

I agree with SharpSpine....based on all I've read both are equally sharp....however the Super Pro due to it's thickness and width, offers more blade exposure which is why some might think it's "sharper".

128 562
 05-24-2016, 01:47 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info

I agree with SharpSpine....based on all I've read both are equally sharp....however the Super Pro due to it's thickness and width, offers more blade exposure which is why some might think it's "sharper".

However, I have a question and if this has been asked and answered...I apologize....how many shaves do you get from the Pro or Super Pro before discarding?  I know we all have different type beards but on average would you use 1x; 3x, etc?  I use an average of 3 times and discard...not because the blade feels dull or tugs....it's what I've always done....now wondering if I'm discarding a perfectly good blade....believe me I understand these blades are cheap so it's not about the money....just wondering if I should use a few more times before discarding....thanks!

128 562
 05-24-2016, 01:50 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
People in the online knife community became obsessive about 'sharpness' with micro polishing compounds ( at macro prices) to the 'Point' the edge was so fine it failed to cut and suffered micro edge roll.
An absolute is always tempered by other factors just as important, like wearing spiffy looking uniforms in the Russian Winter with some baggy and quilted Cossack charging out of the mist.

2 3,171
 05-24-2016, 02:00 PM
User Info
I've used two Feather Pro for 8 shaves each and am not feeling a need to replace them yet.

I put a new blade in my Cobra Classic and King Cobra the day I got them. Shaved with each for a week straight and then have shaved with each once more to compare.

The King Cobra feels as though a fresh blade would improve the experience as the third and fourth shave were the best. Having so few shaves with each though I can't say that too assertively though. The Cobra Classic felt about the same to me from the second shave on to the eighth. The King Cobra is up tomorrow. Will be number 9 on that Feather Pro blade. The minute I have to do too much buffing or if I feel tugging it's done. Hoping to hit double digits, but I'm not going to push for it. That leads to nicks and cuts for me and blades are too cheap to mess up my technique trying to stretch a blade an extra shave or two.

I'm going to try a Kai Mild blade next in the Cobras, but reading this thread makes me think I may not like it so much. 

I wonder if when I had a Mongoose which blade I used in it now. I bought Feather Pro, Super Pro, and Kai but I can't for the life of me remember which blade I tried with it. I kept nicking my lip trying to shave under my nose with it and got angry with it then sold it. Hahaha...

9 1,415
 05-24-2016, 02:09 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
(05-24-2016, 01:47 PM)DJL813 Wrote:

However, I have a question and if this has been asked and answered...I apologize....how many shaves do you get from the Pro or Super Pro before discarding?  I know we all have different type beards but on average would you use 1x; 3x, etc?  I use an average of 3 times and discard...not because the blade feels dull or tugs....it's what I've always done....now wondering if I'm discarding a perfectly good blade....believe me I understand these blades are cheap so it's not about the money....just wondering if I should use a few more times before discarding....thanks!

I average 9 shaves per Blade in both Cobras and the Mongoose.

80 469
 05-24-2016, 02:46 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(05-24-2016, 02:09 PM)lfs70 Wrote:
(05-24-2016, 01:47 PM)DJL813 Wrote:

I average 9 shaves per Blade in both Cobras and the Mongoose.

Yikes.....that's good to know....basically I'm using 3 blades to your 1--will now see how far I can go before experiencing any tugging...even if I stretch to 5-6 shaves...that's pretty good....THANKS!!!

128 562
 05-15-2017, 05:49 AM
User Info
I still remain in doubt, will the Is the same Sharpening for all blades?

Whith Super Only 5 shaves

[Image: a24f9bc3ae56d4697e908f885b98a7ed.jpg]

shaving ever

0 19
 05-15-2017, 08:13 AM
User Info
From my experience the Pro blades are a bit gentler than the Super pros. This in a Mongoose 2nd build, which is plenty aggressive enough for me , and an ATT SE-1, which is aggressive enough, while being a bit gentler than the Mongoose on my particular face/neck. YMMV

7 235