01-24-2016, 06:19 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Background:
I have just started shaving with a Feather SS + Proguard combo. Before this a Merkur 37c was my trusty steed. Very dense/coarse beard.

Shaves slowly getting better with the SS. But as I pay very close attention to my technique - my shaves are getting very very good! 

I did not think the Feather AC would give me anything over the 37c - but I think it does. Closer shaves, yet irritation free. Shaving nirvana! 

Here is my Question for you experts: 
For those who have used both Feather AC razors AND 'real straights' - will a real straight improve my shaves over the Feather SS? How so?

17 535
 01-27-2016, 04:11 AM
User Info
I doubt it will improve your shave, the only real advantage in using a traditional straight over the AC is not buying blades and you will have to adjust your angle some but it should be an easy transition from the AC to a STR8.

6 1,404
 01-27-2016, 04:16 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I agree with Panther, different feel same result.

28 1,449
 01-27-2016, 04:34 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Vinny,

Through the years, I have used the entire series of the Feather straight razor with replaceable blades and liked them all. They are good shavers, although less forgiving than the traditional straight razor. The traditional straight razor is not as sharp as the Feather blade, but what makes up for it is skill and technique. What's more, the Feather lacks the ritual that surrounds the traditional razor — stropping, honing, and so on.

Currently I have the Feather AC DX in the pearl handle. I like it a lot. Fit and finish are impeccable, and it's a great shaver. Still, it doesn't have the charm of the traditional straight razor. So, Vinny, if you want to embrace the straight razor world, might as well start with the traditional straight razor, a 5/8 round point Ralf Aust, Thiers-Issard or Revisor. Learn to strop properly. You need not hone your razor now; send it out for honing until you hone your skill with the straight razor. There is always time for honing. Of course, every shave den also should have a Feather, the AC DX pearl in my case.

153 3,131
 01-27-2016, 05:29 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
All - thank you very much for your wisdom.

Obie: your detailed note is vey much appreciated. Sage advice!

I will stay on the lookout for a good modern honed straight. Honing and vintage razors can wait.

17 535
 01-27-2016, 05:45 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-27-2016, 05:29 AM)v4257 Wrote: All - thank you very much for your wisdom.

Obie: your detailed note is vey much appreciated. Sage advice!

I will stay on the lookout for a good modern honed straight. Honing and vintage razors can wait.

You are very welcome, Vinny. If you would like, I'll gladly mentor you. It will be my pleasure.

153 3,131
 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
You should take up his offer, might as well learn from one of the best!

28 1,449
 01-27-2016, 10:35 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(01-27-2016, 09:42 AM)Snuff Wrote: You should take up his offer, might as well learn from one of the best!
Snuff, my friend, thank you for the kind words.
We've already started our education and I'm sure Vinny will do well.
Take care,
Obie

153 3,131
 01-27-2016, 02:29 PM
User Info
I'm fairly new to SR world, but I started with a Dovo shavette.  Get very good shaves with no irritation from it. Still use it in my rotation.   However,  It just doesn't have the SHINE you get from a nice straight razor.  The whole ritual of shaving with a nice blade and good quality soaps and cremes has made a once mundane task into an enjoyable routine.

0 6
 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
For me the feather is way way better cause I don't thank someone can get a straight as sharp as the feather blades. I couldn't and still can't get a straight to remove the hairs on my neck but the feather will.

5 527
 01-29-2016, 02:29 PM
  • nunhgrader
  • Prairie Village, KS USA
User Info
I used to think a Feather was sharper until I started improving my technique and stropping as well as I started honing seriously. I doubt a Feather can be customized (smoothness, crispness and sharpness) to the degree that a straight razor can. I am a total fan of both tools/ arts plus still love SE and DE razors. I think Feathers are very sharp with very little maintenance. I think straights can be more experience upfront and then cheaper in the long run until RAD and HAD hits!

28 666
 01-29-2016, 05:26 PM
  • Chaddy
  • North Carolina
User Info
Straights are a lot prettier! Wish I could find someone who could really really put a sharp edge on mine.

5 527
 01-30-2016, 06:27 AM
User Info
My situation is the same as Vinny's in that I have been shaving with an AC SS/ProGuard for about 3 weeks. This is my first attempt to venture outside of the DE world and I am enjoying the transition and quality of shaves with the Feather.  My shaves vary as my technique is not consistent which will come with time.

Although I have zero experience with a straight, it is in my future.  The Feather will remain in the Den, but for me the attraction of the straight razor experience IS the tradition.  For me it comes down to high tech (Feather), and tradition (Straight) both eventually having a place in my Den in the future. 

For me the quality/performance of the shave is a component of the overall experience, and not the only element of a "quality shave experience" 

In my opinion tradition matters a bit more to us old farts : )

6 225
 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
(01-27-2016, 04:34 AM)Obie Wrote: Vinny,

Through the years, I have used the entire series of the Feather straight razor with replaceable blades and liked them all. They are good shavers, although less forgiving than the traditional straight razor. The traditional straight razor is not as sharp as the Feather blade, but what makes up for it is skill and technique. What's more, the Feather lacks the ritual that surrounds the traditional razor — stropping, honing, and so on.

Currently I have the Feather AC DX in the pearl handle. I like it a lot. Fit and finish are impeccable, and it's a great shaver. Still, it doesn't have the charm of the traditional straight razor. So, Vinny, if you want to embrace the straight razor world, might as well start with the traditional straight razor, a 5/8 round point Ralf Aust, Thiers-Issard or Revisor. Learn to strop properly. You need not hone your razor now; send it out for honing until you hone your skill with the straight razor. There is always time for honing. Of course, every shave den also should have a Feather, the AC DX pearl in my case.

Hi Obie.  It looks like you sold a Feather AC DX in pearl in 2014, but now have one again?  Did you have second thoughts about selling it?  Just curious.  I got into DE razors just a few years ago but am moving into a Feather system to get into straights. 

Cheers,
Eric

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=21143

49 990
 02-18-2016, 09:05 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(02-18-2016, 07:39 PM)EricM Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 04:34 AM)Obie Wrote: Vinny,

Hi Obie.  It looks like you sold a Feather AC DX in pearl in 2014, but now have one again?  Did you have second thoughts about selling it?  Just curious.  I got into DE razors just a few years ago but am moving into a Feather system to get into straights. 

Cheers,
Eric

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=21143
Hello Eric,
This is actually my third Feather AC DX. I sold the first one because I rarely used it. I don't remember why I sold the second one, although it could have been for the same reason. No, if I recall, I had bought it for travel, but suddenly my travels stopped. This time around, though, I will keep the Feather pearl that I have; I will use it for an occasional shave, and also for travel. This is a wonderful razor and every shave den should have one.

153 3,131
 02-18-2016, 09:16 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Awesome.  Thanks for the input, Obie.  From a UW-Madison grad.   Wink

Eric

49 990
 02-25-2016, 06:33 PM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 06:19 PM)v4257 Wrote: Background:
I have just started shaving with a Feather SS + Proguard combo. Before this a Merkur 37c was my trusty steed. Very dense/coarse beard.

Shaves slowly getting better with the SS. But as I pay very close attention to my technique - my shaves are getting very very good! 

I did not think the Feather AC would give me anything over the 37c - but I think it does. Closer shaves, yet irritation free. Shaving nirvana! 

Here is my Question for you experts: 
For those who have used both Feather AC razors AND 'real straights' - will a real straight improve my shaves over the Feather SS? How so?

You and I might be in the same place.  I've been a DE shaver for 3 years, during which time I've accumulated a nice collection of quality DE razors.  I've graduated from Weber, New LC and ATT R2 to Braveheart, ATT H2 and Joris.  In January I bought a Feather DX in teak.  After a major speed bump with the weaker hand and the ATG stroke, I'm getting great shaves.  Im not ready for the equipment that a traditional straight requires, yet; but I think my appetite for more DE razors is behind me.

0 33
 02-27-2016, 06:08 PM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(01-27-2016, 10:35 AM)Obie Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 09:42 AM)Snuff Wrote: You should take up his offer, might as well learn from one of the best!
Take care,
Obie

I just wanted to publicly thank Obie for all the support & guidance he has given me.

I am enjoying my 'real' straight journey tremendously. Thank you Obie for being beyond generous with your time & offering sage advice at every step. Your student continues to progress albeit slowly. :-)

17 535
 02-28-2016, 05:11 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(02-27-2016, 06:08 PM)v4257 Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 10:35 AM)Obie Wrote:
Take care,
Obie

I just wanted to publicly thank Obie for all the support & guidance he has given me.

I am enjoying my 'real' straight journey tremendously. Thank you Obie for being beyond generous with your time & offering sage advice at every step. Your student continues to progress albeit slowly. :-)
Vinny,
You are very welcome, my friend. You are a good student, and you're coming along nicely. Slow and easy does it.

153 3,131