01-24-2016, 07:20 PM
User Info
So I just got my Atlas 5-piece stainless steel set open comb.

The rest of the ATT series will be mine in amtter of a month. Both the larger handles, both slant heads and the 3 solid bar heads and the stand.

I knew the Atlas handle was only 3", but when I actually got to hold the razor in my hand, it's just TINY.

Anyone really feel comfortable using such a short tiny handle ?

This will definitely be my first and last 3" handle.
I'm far more comfortable with larger handles.

I owned the Merkur 37C & 34HD and both felt better in my hands, than this ATT Atlas razor to be honest, even though the built of the ATT is far and beyound better than any Merkur razor out there.

Don't get me wrong, the Atlas barberpole handle is beautiful made. The matte finish looks and feels awesome. But the size of this andle makes me feel like it's built for a lady or a child.

Looking forward to your opinions, if anyone out there owns the Atlas handle ATT razor.

24 5,840
 01-24-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
I think the handles are letting the brand down. It's one of the best shaving and well made razors I know. I think the Atlas handle is the best looking out of the 3, but it's too short for my liking. The Kronos is a better size for me, but while it is very well made (certainly not questioning ATT's craftsmanship) it just looks ordinary, same with the Colossus.

1 97
 01-24-2016, 07:48 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have the Atlas handle and I really like it.  I like the way it gives the razor a head heavy balance.

3 531
 01-24-2016, 07:50 PM
User Info
Claus,

I have the complete line up minus the slant heads and including the bronze.  Personally I love the Atlas handle knurling but it is a tad short to use. When using it I use my first three fingers and thumb on the handle and my pinky rests up next to the bottom of it. Not uncomfortably but I still prefer the Kronos handle to be able to rest my pinky on the handle vs up next to the end.  The Atlas handle is slightly longer than the Blackbird razor I just received not that long ago.

Hope this helps a little.

21 368
 01-25-2016, 05:22 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I've owned all 3, and the Kronos is best all around for me. I wish the Kronos came in the Atlas spiraled knurling, but enjoy the industrial old school Monobloc look of it.

143 1,983
 01-25-2016, 05:53 AM
User Info
It's a bit like a 1.2 BMW 1 series looks good but poor function. All the heads especially the R2 performs a lot better with the Kronos handle IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

0 831
 01-25-2016, 07:45 AM
User Info
(01-24-2016, 07:20 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: So I just got my Atlas 5-piece stainless steel set open comb.

The rest of the ATT series will be mine in amtter of a month. Both the larger handles, both slant heads and the 3 solid bar heads and the stand.

I knew the Atlas handle was only 3", but when I actually got to hold the razor in my hand, it's just TINY.

Anyone really feel comfortable using such a short tiny handle ?

This will definitely be my first and last 3" handle.
I'm far more comfortable with larger handles.

I owned the Merkur 37C & 34HD and both felt better in my hands, than this ATT Atlas razor to be honest, even though the built of the ATT is far and beyound better than any Merkur razor out there.

Don't get me wrong, the Atlas barberpole handle is beautiful made. The matte finish looks and feels awesome. But the size of this andle makes me feel like it's built for a lady or a child.

Looking forward to your opinions, if anyone out there owns the Atlas handle ATT razor.

I own a Kronos five piece closed comb and I prefer the longer and some what heaver handle.

0 235
 01-25-2016, 11:31 AM
User Info
I don't have an ATT, but for all of my other razors, I've found that 3" mark is about where I like mine.  My favorite razors in terms of balance and control are my Fatboy and Progress, which both have handles that are right about 3".

1 296
 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I like the older style Atlas much more than the newer style version (which has a smaller knob area and much harsher barber pole knurling). I find that the Atlas works really well with my M2 head. I do prefer to use my M1 head on a Kronos handle though. 

The Colossus handle design has changed as well and now mimics the top of the Kronos handle much more than the older design and has much rougher knurling. They're both nice pretty handles though (with the older version being much more aesthetically pleasing) and mate well with the S1 head. 

Whilst I like, and get on with all three ATT handles, the quality of them appears to have taken a slight nose-dive in terms of quality recently and feel much more cheaply made than those produced a couple of years ago.

33 645
 01-25-2016, 06:23 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(01-25-2016, 11:31 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote: I don't have an ATT, but for all of my other razors, I've found that 3" mark is about where I like mine.  My favorite razors in terms of balance and control are my Fatboy and Progress, which both have handles that are right about 3".

+1  I prefer 3 inches  - Fatboy, New Improved, ATT Atlas .. I had my Wolfman cut to 3" as well.  Still can't figure why a longer handle is better, unless your arm's too short to reach your face .. though I've heard leg shavers like longer handles ..

43 459
 01-25-2016, 06:31 PM
User Info
Another fan of 3" handles here.

18 586
 01-25-2016, 07:16 PM
User Info
I prefer my handles between 3 1/8" and 3 5/8".

21 161
 01-25-2016, 07:27 PM
User Info
I didn't realize they were that short.

Shorter handles are ok in my book. It all depends on the balance for me. I had a custom New Improved BRW made. Was a beauty. I sold it though on a forum because it was off balance. The fellow who adopted it wanted it to shave his head with. Made sense to me.

I've never held or used an ATT of any kind though. The look of them never excited me. I thought of buying the solid bar head a few times without a handle. I'm just not sure which baseplate to choose. I know Stan will work with you to decide though.

I know it takes a lot more than one or two shaves for me to settle into a new razor. By the time I sorted it out whether it was right for me or not I'd feel stupid swapping out for trial and error if I picked the wrong one.

I have the Ikon Tuckaway handle but honestly have never used it. Was a late night impulse buy sometime when it first came out. That handle is WAY to short for me to be practical regardless of balance.

I like the length of the Feather handle and the British Gillettes alright. Specifically the #58, Rocket HD, and Aristocrat Jr. They're noticeably heavier than the American TTO Gillettes and a comfortable fit for me. The Feather though is borderline in that it's awfully thin. It it wasn't steel and hefty for its size I wouldn't use it though.

I tend to pinch my razor an inch or so under the head. Especially when going ATG and when buffing up. That's when a razor really passes or fails for me. If the balance isn't right it kind of ruins it for me no matter how well the rest of the shave might be.

So the idea of going down the ATT rabbit hole intimidates me. Even if I get it right on the first swing I'd always wonder if the open comb or slant or different baseplate would be a little "better" for me. That can get spendy real fast. For someone like me who has to try for himself, I wouldn't be satisfied until I did. With every model out there.

One of my favorite setups is the UFO TiTan with a solid bar Tradere head. The handle is chunky but deceptively light for its girth. It just works. 

I for sure dislike light weight handles. Like the Fatip Piccolo handle. Makes me angry just to look at it. Bought what I thought was a Rocket HD once and when it delivered was super sad to see it was the Paperclip... 

I guess I'm not so concerned about length within reason. Too short and too long is an issue at the extremes. Balance means more in the end.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 3' handle unless it just threw off the shave for weight distribution.

7 1,313
 01-25-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
I like the Atlas particularly when learning a new head. Most of the times I move to a longer handle latter on but with the Atlas I can learn the head more easily. Not sure that makes any logical sense but works for me.

8 1,059
 01-25-2016, 09:32 PM
User Info
The Atlas S1 is my daily driver. I felt it was short at first, but I'm now used to it. It just feels natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 279
 01-25-2016, 11:04 PM
User Info
I have an Atlas that I traded a Colossus handle for.  The Colossus was, I felt, way too big and caused the head to be less controlled.  This resulted in some self-inflicted wounds.  My first DE was an EJ 89 "Kielvin" that also has a short handle, so maybe I got used to shorties from that, but much prefer the Atlas to the Colossus.  I feel I can be very precise with it, regardless of whether I use it with my M2, R1, or S1 plate.  One of these Atlas combinations has been my daily driver for the past 8 months or so.

4 100
 01-26-2016, 12:29 AM
User Info
(01-25-2016, 06:23 PM)garyg Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 11:31 AM)gwsmallwood Wrote: I don't have an ATT, but for all of my other razors, I've found that 3" mark is about where I like mine.  My favorite razors in terms of balance and control are my Fatboy and Progress, which both have handles that are right about 3".

+1  I prefer 3 inches  - Fatboy, New Improved, ATT Atlas .. I had my Wolfman cut to 3" as well.  Still can't figure why a longer handle is better, unless your arm's too short to reach your face .. though I've heard leg shavers like longer handles ..

It's quite easy really.

The thin short Atlas handle disappears in my hand.
I don't feel comfortable with it.

But I love the barberpole matte finish on it.

The Merkur 37c/34HD are both same length, but even though they are not Stainless steel they feel better in my hands, because of the thicker 2 cm knob at the bottom.

I sold both Merkurs though, only own the Futur from them now, and even though it's a shiny chrome handle, the length of that handle suits me far better and actually improved my control over the head.

I also prefer 4" UFO handles and the Ikon OSS size handle because they feel better and more secure in my hands and adds extra control over the head, which equals better safer shaves and fewer cuts.

I don't have gorilla huge hands, but use size XL in gloves.

24 5,840
 01-26-2016, 12:38 AM
User Info
(01-25-2016, 09:32 PM)Watson15 Wrote: The Atlas S1 is my daily driver. I felt it was short at first, but I'm now used to it. It just feels natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure if I was 'forced' to use it daily I could adapt to it. But since I own dozens of other alternatives I far prefer, I'm going for something longer and larger.

24 5,840
 01-26-2016, 12:41 AM
User Info
(01-25-2016, 07:38 PM)lloydrm Wrote: I like the Atlas particularly when learning a new head. Most of the times I move to a longer handle latter on but with the Atlas I can learn the head more easily. Not sure that makes any logical sense but works for me.

It does make sense. I also prefer more lightweight handles for more aggressive heads, which is why my Mühle R41 is a Twist design but I prefer the length of a Twist over the R41 Standard, which is why my Mühle R41 is NOT the stock R41 3-piece razor.
I get better control with a longer than 3" handle.

24 5,840
 01-26-2016, 05:21 PM
User Info
You can always go with a Aristocrat Triad handle like this one (89mm X 13mm).
[Image: OGLxMBg.jpg]

21 161