01-25-2016, 09:46 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I was thinking about it when I made my last order. There were many soaps during the last months that many gentlemen bought and there was a lot of talk about them, but after a while no one is discussing about these products like they have totally forgotten them. It seems that no one uses them anymore or just uses them very rarely. I know that there are many artisanal products that most of them perform great but I can't understand why there is so much talk about them when they are first released. A good example is the SdM which was a big hit some months ago here in TSN. Of course, there are many examples. Is this just a result of the well known hype? Excuse me if I am insulting anyone with this thread, this is not my purpose, I am just trying to understand this fact as a wet shaving enthusiast.

49 1,940
 01-25-2016, 09:53 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
It's just human nature. We all desire whatever is "new & exciting."  So there will always be a "new & exciting" product because we create that need. Fact is all those other soaps that are not being mentioned are still great. I shaved with Mike's Natural this morning and it's still one of my favorite soaps.

159 1,319
 01-25-2016, 09:56 AM
User Info
nick, I agree with ron that the newness wears off.  I have so many that I enjoy that I rarely get to use them all.  I could simply use boellis panama and nuavia blu only and be happy but I won't.

73 1,263
 01-25-2016, 09:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
It is like buy a new car.  Pretty soon the new wears off.

175 23,752
 01-25-2016, 09:57 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Nick, I think people settle into a groove with their products. SdM is right up there with the best available. I am sure it will happen down the road with the Brutalt Bra out of Norway. A wonderful soap that's been out just over a year I think. 
An example might be back in 2005-6 with Haslinger. It disappeared from the forums and is now talked about and lauded by many 10 years later.

42 1,041
 01-25-2016, 10:21 AM
User Info
All points above are very true.  It's all tomato tom-ah-to I think.  Most products that have gone through the hype cycle are exceptional performers IMO and give me excellent results so really I'm pretty sure it's the desire for variety that fuels the cycle.  
Anyways I still love my SdM and hope you picked some up in the last purchase!

83 423
 01-25-2016, 10:28 AM
User Info
People are naturally curious. The grass is always greener...

0 1,055
 01-25-2016, 10:32 AM
User Info
(01-25-2016, 10:21 AM)w_mcnabb Wrote: All points above are very true.  It's all tomato tom-ah-to I think.  Most products that have gone through the hype cycle are exceptional performers IMO and give me excellent results so really I'm pretty sure it's the desire for variety that fuels the cycle.  

Hype Cycle, I like that phrase Scott! This is precisely what drives the process.  Someone discovers/rediscovers a favorite soap, composes a glowing thread about it, which in turn entices others to buy it.  After purchase the soap is usually used for a few consecutive shaves then relegated to a bin somewhere, where it patiently waits until the hype cycle swings in it's favor again.  The fun thing about it all is after you have culled out all the things you don't like you are left with only products you really enjoy, then everyday you start to think to yourself this is the best soap/cream on planet Earth and the cycle begins anew.

73 2,200
 01-25-2016, 10:44 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Can't argue with all the points mentioned above. Every time I use Arko I wonder why I bothered trying other soaps other than to see if spending more makes a huge difference, not really for me, and out of curiosity. Glad I did follow some of the "hype" though.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-25-2016, 10:46 AM
User Info
Newness and positive discussion are factors in evaluating products that bias our results towards the positive. When reviewing soaps (any any other product), I like to compare and contrast them to other products in order to avoid this issue. I find that comparing products is a good way to ground myself against both of those factors, since I am required to analyze how the soap would compare against similar products.

3 1,484
 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-25-2016, 10:32 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 10:21 AM)w_mcnabb Wrote: All points above are very true.  It's all tomato tom-ah-to I think.  Most products that have gone through the hype cycle are exceptional performers IMO and give me excellent results so really I'm pretty sure it's the desire for variety that fuels the cycle.  

Hype Cycle, I like that phrase Scott! This is precisely what drives the process.  Someone discovers/rediscovers a favorite soap, composes a glowing thread about it, which in turn entices others to buy it.  After purchase the soap is usually used for a few consecutive shaves then relegated to a bin somewhere, where it patiently waits until the hype cycle swings in it's favor again.  The fun thing about it all is after you have culled out all the things you don't like you are left with only products you really enjoy, then everyday you start to think to yourself this is the best soap/cream on planet Earth and the cycle begins anew.

Scott, unfortunately I didn't but would love to try it some day...

A never ending cycle, I am afraid. Lately, I am trying to use shave products I have in my den that don't get much attention, in an effort to stop buying new stuff. It's hard believe me.

49 1,940
 01-25-2016, 10:55 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
Yes the 'new' wears off, or the 'hype cycle' cycles. SdM is and continues to be wonderful for me since I first bought a tin in Paris.

But I understand your post and agree 100%. Another interesting thing to do is observe what's on the BSTs and also what isn't. What I don't see much of on the 'sell' boards are the higher end soaps and the lowest tier soaps (you can't pay the shipping for some). Very few people are selling XPEC, ABC, SdM, AdP, Castle Forbes, and so on. You see a few of course, mostly sold by folks with who don't agree with a fragrance or they have a problem with a particular ingredient like a fragrance oil or lanolin. You'll probably see a ton of artisan soaps up for sale before you'll see a single one of the 5 brands above, which except for SdM are not artisan products.

Cheers, Steve

7 470
 01-25-2016, 10:59 AM
User Info
(01-25-2016, 10:52 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 10:32 AM)merkur man Wrote:

Scott, unfortunately I didn't but would love to try it some day...

A never ending cycle, I am afraid. Lately, I am trying to use shave products I have in my den that don't get much attention, in an effort to stop buying new stuff. It's hard believe me.
I'm with you Nick, trying to use up what I have got and trying not to go crazy with every new soap that comes out.  I enjoy what I have and will purchase soaps and creams with a bit more thought than I used to.  Brushes on the other hand... I really need some professional help with! Biggrin

73 2,200
 01-25-2016, 11:15 AM
User Info
My sentiments exactly about using up current stock guys.  I'm thankfully at the point where I've culled most things that didn't work and really enjoy anything I use on any particular day.  
Nathan, if you find professional help for SBAD please PM the doctor's info I think I need it myself!    Laughing1

83 423
 01-25-2016, 11:28 AM
User Info
It's not just soaps that get hyped. New razors (look at Mongoose, Wolfman, etc), brushes (Varlet, Palladin, etc), anything new. Then as others mentioned, there is a cyclical element. Things forgotten get brought up and seem almost new again. I suppose it boils down to it being our hobby and we like to try new things, discuss and review them. 

I think with these types of threads, some are weary from spending too much time on our interest and need to take a break and come back in a while energized. Same thing applied to me about a year ago. Stepped back, took a little time off from the forums and groups and used what I had. I certainly didn't need to purchase any more shaving stuff. Came back a couple of months later recharged.

0 111
 01-25-2016, 11:37 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
May I suggest an alternative strategy of 'soap management'? I too found myself with more than I will ever use, mostly because a fragrance didn't suit me, but the soaps for the most part are quite good. So I started giving them to friends and folk that are less willing to 'go spendy' on shaving soap. By doing so I turn consumption into altruism and helping out when and how I can. I've also seen posts on forums that were pretty obviously by teenagers, just starting to shave and maybe there isn't much left of the allowance for ABC. Let's give them a hand.

Cheers, Steve

7 470
 01-25-2016, 12:04 PM
User Info
I've employed a modified version of this strategy Steve.  I use the soaps that don't quite make the cut as recruiting tools so to speak.  My buddies always thought I was a little crazy for wetshaving so I started loaning or gifting them a razor and brush or two and give them blades and soap to start them out. Minimizing the cost of entry during the transition phase is a great way to get them to try it out.  I've only enjoyed a 50% conversion ratio out of the friends I've done this for but hey, the more wet shavers the merrier right!  Kind of like insurance (on a micro scale) that the niche stays strong and hopefully keeps these awesome products in production.  Oh and now they don't think I'm crazy for going on and on about wetshaving anymore...

83 423
 01-25-2016, 01:41 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Steve, your post made me laugh if you look at my sold threads. Thank God I have a post office on the first floor of my office. 

I would add Brutalt Bra to the SdM family & Boellis to your 5 Family. Let's call it a wrap.

42 1,041
 01-25-2016, 04:07 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
(01-25-2016, 01:41 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Steve, your post made me laugh if you look at my sold threads. Thank God I have a post office on the first floor of my office. 

I would add Brutalt Bra to the SdM family & Boellis to your 5 Family. Let's call it a wrap.

Sounds like a plan sir!

Cheers, Steve

7 470
 01-25-2016, 04:12 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
Scott,

If you are in insurance and you succeed with 50% conversion rate you will really go up the ladder fast.
I do note its amongst people you know rather than random people on the street.

Might be a great approaching strangers and asking if they have a minute to spare and trying to convert them to wet shaving.

10 369