01-26-2016, 03:53 AM
User Info
So I just received this Ikon B1 Slant with the OSS handle from Connaught Shaving and also ordered the matching black Ikon stand.

I hope the black coating will last for a long time, if not, I will be disappointed.

But looking at the razor it looks very well made.

I really like the OSS handle, it feels very sturdy and solid, and love the length of it.
It's more raw in the finish than the Above The Tie handles, but still very well made.

My debut shave with the B1 Slant went very well. 2 days stubble was removec in 3 passes, only one small nick by the chin, using a brand new Feather blade.

It seemd quite mild for a slant. A little clumsy to remove hairs under the nose area, but this is just one reason why I normally use one of my many Fusion razors for first pass.
But to test the Ikon, I made all 3 passes with it for todays shave.

I can really feel the black coating makes it slide with extra ease over the skin, which I like a lot.

Overall I feel this Ikon is well made, not Feather/Pils/Above The Tie well made, but a class just under that, so still a very well made razor in my opinion.

Overall I would rate this a 8.5/10 - a solid well made razor, which glides with ease across the skin, and it looks great on the shelf in the matching stand.

[Image: ONKmQDw.jpg]
[Image: 5c40vgK.jpg]
[Image: QsvcKQ6.jpg]
[Image: 0d3zzGU.jpg]
[Image: KpvYPgv.jpg]
[Image: pkpYW6G.jpg]

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 04:03 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Connaught is pretty expensive... I got it a month ago from Massdrop with bulldog handle for 103$ including shipping.

It's a great razor!

49 1,940
 01-26-2016, 04:06 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
Very nice Claus. The ATT handle looks sublime, though, in comparison with OSS handle. Have we seen the whole set yet?

0 1,053
 01-26-2016, 04:15 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 04:03 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Connaught is pretty expensive... I got it a month ago from Massdrop with bulldog handle for 103$ including shipping.

It's a great razor!

I know they are, but I like to deal with vendors, that I trust 110% - and I trust Connaught and also Gifts&Care 110%

I ended up paying $136 with my 10% discount, and that's an okay price IMHO

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 04:16 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 04:06 AM)Aleksey Wrote: Very nice Claus. The ATT handle looks sublime, though, in comparison with OSS handle. Have we seen the whole set yet?

No, because I haven't bought th whole COMPLETE A.T.T. set yet  Biggrin

I had things to buy before that, so it must wait a little bit........

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 04:51 AM
  • MPH
  • UK
User Info
How easy did you find it to align the blade? I had one of the original stainless versions, and getting the blade aligned was a bit "hit and miss", it would often be in at a weird angle (not because of the "slant"!) by the time you'd screwed the handle on. I wondered if they have made this easier over time somehow?

The black colour looks great.

Matt

1 178
 01-26-2016, 05:22 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 04:51 AM)MPH Wrote: How easy did you find it to align the blade? I had one of the original stainless versions, and getting the blade aligned was a bit "hit and miss", it would often be in at a weird angle (not because of the "slant"!) by the time you'd screwed the handle on. I wondered if they have made this easier over time somehow?

The black colour looks great.

Matt

I never did have problems with the Stainless versions, I owned all the heads, also the slant stainless in 2013, but sold them, as I thought I would dump DE shaving altogether in 2014.

I just tried to place the blade in the B1 Slant, and I honestly can't remember how the alignment rods looked like on the old heads from Ikon, but in this B1 Slant topcap there is a big center screw, which is also quite sturdy and long, and then you have two also quite wide rods to the left and right, which makes it almost impossible to place the DE blade in an incorrect position.

If you make sure to place the DE blade in these 3 rods and hold the topcap upside down and hold the DE blade secure in that position, while you place the baseplate on top of it until it locks, and then hold this tightly together, while you screw the handle on, I can't see it coming loose or going out of position.

Once it's locked together, the blade is in a really tighyl locked bend position and this makes it somewhat troublesome to remove it after the shave. you have to have really dry fingers, to avoid cutting yourself, because the blade is locked so tightly in the 3 rods, that you have to use your fingers to get it out. At least this is how my B1 Slant is.

I my buy the OC and SB head at a later stage in 2016, after I have securd the entire ATT collection of 8 heads, 3 handles and the stand.

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 05:50 AM
User Info
my b1 did get a small chip already on one of the corners and i did not hit it or drop it at all which i am not happy about. as well as where the handle meets the baseplate is worn away and of course the threads. and of course since it doesnt affect the shave its not covered under his "warranty". otherwise i saw zero difference between my older stainless ones (which personally i prefer over the black) to the newer b1. he claims these are better made somehow but would not give me an answer as to how. i see no difference personally other then the coating. i do still have to mess with the blade at times. usually if you load a blade as he shows in the video for the original stainless one there is not normally any issues.

16 660
 01-26-2016, 08:34 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 05:50 AM)mastershake Wrote: my b1 did get a small chip already on one of the corners and i did not hit it or drop it at all which i am not happy about. as well as where the handle meets the baseplate is worn away and of course the threads. and of course since it doesnt affect the shave its not covered under his "warranty". otherwise i saw zero difference between my older stainless ones (which personally i prefer over the black) to the newer b1. he claims these are better made somehow but would not give me an answer as to how. i see no difference personally other then the coating. i do still have to mess with the blade at times. usually if you load a blade as he shows in the video for the original stainless one there is not normally any issues.

WoW - that does not sound promising at all  Shok

I know a black coating will eventually blemish and wear a little bit, but I certainly would have a hard time dealing with it, if it chips off - and without even dropping it or hitting it on something.

If a flake or chip of the black coating will come off without any logical cause, than normal daily wear - Ikon will forever be a name I will remember, just like an elephant, and I will forever avoid the brand until I'm no longer among the living.

I used to buy Armani shirts in the 90's, because I liked their fit and quality felt great.
Until I bought two Armani shirts, that both went up in the stiching in the same place after only being washed twice. And they were both bought at a local Official Armani dealer.

I have never ever since that even remotely considered looking at an Armani shirt.

I will - so far - give Ikon the benefit of the doubt, and trust and hope my B1 Slant will serve me well for years to come.
It's a really nice razor, and is already a part of my rotation, after owning it for one day.

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 08:56 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-26-2016, 04:15 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 04:03 AM)nikos.a Wrote: Connaught is pretty expensive... I got it a month ago from Massdrop with bulldog handle for 103$ including shipping.

It's a great razor!

I know they are, but I like to deal with vendors, that I trust 110% - and I trust Connaught and also Gifts&Care 110%

I am with you on that, Claus. We have some great vendors in Europe. But I couldn't resist on such a good deal. It was 25% off on Massdrop, but usually I prefer buying shavings from reputable vendors, such as Yourshaving and G&C. I didn't have any problems so far with my orders except once when I purchased some stuff from an American vendor and I found a spider leg in a sample. Just imagine how bad I felt, it was disgusting. I will never buy anything from this vendor again, they're in my black list.

Enjoy your new razor my friend! It's beautiful and one of my all time favorites. I have another slant, the Merkur 39C, but the B1 performs a lot better. I also have the OSS handle, but I prefer using it with the bulldog handle which is smaller.

49 1,940
 01-26-2016, 09:21 AM
User Info
Congratulations, Claus and I hope the coating remains intact. Thumbsup

82 21,056
 01-26-2016, 01:02 PM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 08:56 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 04:15 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:

It's a great razor!

I am with you on that, Claus. We have some great vendors in Europe. But I couldn't resist on such a good deal. It was 25% off on Massdrop, but usually I prefer buying shavings from reputable vendors, such as Yourshaving and G&C. I didn't have any problems so far with my orders except once when I purchased some stuff from an American vendor and I found a spider leg in a sample. Just imagine how bad I felt, it was disgusting. I will never buy anything from this vendor again, they're in my black list.

Enjoy your new razor my friend! It's beautiful and one of my all time favorites. I have another slant, the Merkur 39C, but the B1 performs a lot better. I also have the OSS handle, but I prefer using it with the bulldog handle which is smaller.

Is your Bulldog the old one, which is 80mm or the new one, which is 85 mm ?

I think I might have Jürgen Hempel make me a couple of handles for the upcoming Spring/Summer.
a 90 mm Bullfod type handle and a 100 mm OSS type handle, both of course withe extra added Hempel touch to them  Wink

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(01-26-2016, 01:02 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 08:56 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 04:15 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: I know they are, but I like to deal with vendors, that I trust 110% - and I trust Connaught and also Gifts&Care 110%

Is your Bulldog the old one, which is 80mm or the new one, which is 85 mm ?

I think I might have Jürgen Hempel make me a couple of handles for the upcoming Spring/Summer.
a 90 mm Bullfod type handle and a 100 mm OSS type handle, both of course withe extra added Hempel touch to them  Wink

It's the new one, Claus. It pairs really well with the B1 head.

49 1,940
 01-26-2016, 01:08 PM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 09:21 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, Claus and I hope the coating remains intact. Thumbsup

Thank You, Celestino.

Hope the black coating wil hold up well.

I'm not going to overuse it for sure, perhaps I will use it twice a month or so, being that my current/soon to be rotation of DE razors are (once again) closing in on 25-30 razors.

I sold all my DE's in 2014, I regret that immensely, as I have had to buy the Feather, Pils and the better Edwin Jagger Bulbous and several others once again.
What I really regret is selling both my Tradere's, the open comb and the closed comb. They are no longer in production, and gave me a better shave/at least as good a shave than the Pils, but had a similar head design.

Aso regret selling my Above The Tie Closed Comb, R1, which I believe had a now discontinued handle called Titan (I may be wrong here)

I also sold a now no longer produced great handle from Ikon, same length as the OSS, but a very different handle design. I really liked that handle.

regrets....regrets.......regrest.........will get me no where  Angel

24 5,850
 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM
User Info
i did almost the same i sold off most of my de's a while back and honestly regret doing that now since many are no longer made.

16 660
 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM
User Info
Nice going Claus. The original iKon stands were machined 316 stainless steel.Then Greg went to aluminum/coated. If he was still making them machined stainless the price would easily be double.

119 13,019
 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM
User Info
Very nice Claus. Enjoy your new Slant !!!

Lorenzo.

29 1,084
 01-26-2016, 03:03 PM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 01:08 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 09:21 AM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, Claus and I hope the coating remains intact. Thumbsup

Thank You, Celestino.

Hope the black coating wil hold up well.

I'm not going to overuse it for sure, perhaps I will use it twice a month or so, being that my current/soon to be rotation of DE razors are (once again) closing in on 25-30 razors.

I sold all my DE's in 2014, I regret that immensely, as I have had to buy the Feather, Pils and the better Edwin Jagger Bulbous and several others once again.
What I really regret is selling both my Tradere's, the open comb and the closed comb. They are no longer in production, and gave me a better shave/at least as good a shave than the Pils, but had a similar head design.

Aso regret selling my Above The Tie Closed Comb, R1, which I believe had a now discontinued handle called Titan (I may be wrong here)

I also sold a now no longer produced great handle from Ikon, same length as the OSS, but a very different handle design. I really liked that handle.

regrets....regrets.......regrest.........will get me no where  Angel
The Kronos is the titan same handle different name.

0 127
 01-26-2016, 03:34 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(01-26-2016, 05:22 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 04:51 AM)MPH Wrote: How easy did you find it to align the blade? I had one of the original stainless versions, and getting the blade aligned was a bit "hit and miss", it would often be in at a weird angle (not because of the "slant"!) by the time you'd screwed the handle on.

I just tried to place the blade in the B1 Slant, and I honestly can't remember how the alignment rods looked like on the old heads from Ikon, but in this B1 Slant topcap there is a big center screw, which is also quite sturdy and long, and then you have two also quite wide rods to the left and right, which makes it almost impossible to place the DE blade in an incorrect position.

If you make sure to place the DE blade in these 3 rods and hold the topcap upside down and hold the DE blade secure in that position, while you place the baseplate on top of it until it locks, and then hold this tightly together, while you screw the handle on, I can't see it coming loose or going out of position.

I am pretty sure that the post and pins on the B1 Slant are the same as the post and pins on the DLC Slant; when the DLC Slant was introduced, Greg Kahn said that the alignment issues with the original uncoated Stainless Slant had been addressed.  

That said, when I follow with my DLC Slant the same procedure that you describe above, the resulting alignment is always just a little off, as the blade edge appears to be not completely parallel with the edge of the top cap.  Unscrewing the handle a quarter turn or so, and using an appropriate hard object (usually the end of the handle from another razor) to nudge the corner of the blade that protrudes farther from the edge of the top cap, it is easy to get the blade into perfect alignment, and the blade then does not shift back when the handle is re-tightened.  (I have noticed that KAI blades, which fit a bit more snugly over the posts, are less prone — though not completely immune — to the initial misalignment than other blades are.)   In the interest of science, I have tried shaving with the razor with the blade in the un-nudged “misaligned” position, and the shave has been quite satisfactory; so I judge the slight visual misalignment to be more of an aesthetic than a functional matter.

0 1,052
 01-26-2016, 03:38 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Congratulations Claus, enjoy!

99 18,011