01-26-2016, 04:20 AM
User Info
I just saw that Weber still sell 3 handles.

Are they good quality ?

How are they compared to Above The Tie, UFO, Hempel, Wolfman, Ikon and Feather ?

I owned 6 UFO handles at one time, but sold all, not because they weren't beautiful, but because their surface made them a tiny bit slippery, when I used them.

I owned two Weber handles from 2012, and they were not in the same class as my UFO nor my ATT handles, but on par with Ikon, a bit raw made, but with very nice knurlings and ggreat grip.

Don't know if the new ones are the same or they have changed ??

24 5,963
 01-26-2016, 04:59 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I picked one up for an R41 head. Very nice handle. Fit and finish were very good. I like it but not as much as the ATT Atlas.

7 450
 01-26-2016, 05:42 AM
User Info
they are decent imo they are not the same quality as the others you mentioned. expect some tiny machine marks on them sometimes also. otherwise they are decent for the money just dont expect wolfman or hempel quality, imo even the newer ikons are a bit better made.

16 660
 01-26-2016, 06:09 AM
User Info
Would agree with the sentiments above. Not close to same quality of ATT or others you mentioned, but if you pick one up off the bST for $20 or so dollars, a good handle.

90 899
 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 05:42 AM)mastershake Wrote: they are decent imo they are not the same quality as the others you mentioned. expect some tiny machine marks on them sometimes also. otherwise they are decent for the money just dont expect wolfman or hempel quality, imo even the newer ikons are a bit better made.

Signs011 , they are very functional, though, for the price.  I am a bit surprised that you found the UFO handles slippery as I have been using mine for the past 5 years without any issues, my friend. Shy

82 21,077
 01-26-2016, 09:22 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 07:18 AM)celestino Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 05:42 AM)mastershake Wrote: they are decent imo they are not the same quality as the others you mentioned. expect some tiny machine marks on them sometimes also. otherwise they are decent for the money just dont expect wolfman or hempel quality, imo even the newer ikons are a bit better made.

Signs011 , they are very functional, though, for the price.  I am a bit surprised that you found the UFO handles slippery as I have been using mine for the past 5 years without any issues, my friend. Shy

Well Celestino, not slippery like I would drop them, but their surface felt a bit soft............hard to explain.
They did not feel anything like the Weber I owned from 2012, but the UFO's were very beautiful made.

24 5,963
 01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
User Info
I have a Bulldog from 2014 and just got a Classic about a month ago.

The finish isn't going to be flawless as they don't polish like a high end product, but everything else is great.  Both of them have worked with every head I've tried with no issues.  The knurling on the Bulldog is fine while the knurling on the Classic is much sharper and grippier.  I don't know if that's a change in supplies or just the model.

For $35 the Weber is an excellent value.

5 229
 01-26-2016, 11:39 AM
User Info
I have a Weber bulldog handle and its a great handle ..especially for the $20 i paid 
 If your looking for some great handles for the money check out Maggard Razors line of handles, for the price they cant be beat. My favorite is the MR5

27 229
 01-26-2016, 12:32 PM
User Info
same goes for maggards great for the money but NO where near the quality of others he listed. i own 5 maggards handles and do like them but overall finish wise and knurling is just not the same.

16 660
 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM
User Info
Quality?

I suppose everyone has different wants and needs.

For the money I like my Webers just fine. The Wave is cool. The Bulldog is functional and beats the pants off most vintage Gillette handles. 

It's hard to split hairs at the price range. 
Comparing a $30 handle to a $100 one is more of a spotlight on the more expensive options in my book. Value is subjective.

When Weber started selling stainless steel handles and complete razors there wasn't much variety - options available in new stainless steel DE shave gear. Being made in the USA was a differentiating factor. Pricing was competitive and relative to a stock 3 piece razor handle, quality was hands down better.

Also Feather and Ikon were about the only modern stainless games in town. Tradere was starting but ATT hadn't come out yet if I remember the timeline correctly. Cooncatbob was making his gorgeous pieces but they are not stainless and cost a little bit more.

Suddenly though, over a short time there were options. UFO, ATT, Wolfman and more. Also now many more 'budget' handle options are available. Jurgen handles were out there, but not too many seen in the wild. 

I had all the Webers. Full razors and individual handles. ARC and DLC too. Currently only still have the Bulldog and Wave handles. The heads were good shavers. Not great. The thin, long handles weren't my style.

A Weber isn't a UFO or a Triad. I could make analogies with cars or watches but it's a moot point. A Weber handle gets the job done. Fits every razor head I've ever tried. Can another brand do the same thing and be more luxurious? Yup. 

They cost more too.

My Webers are not current production though. I can't speak to whether they're as well made as they were a few years ago. Truth be told, there isn't much to them to begin with. Even if the knurling now might be less defined or the flat surfaces would be not as highly polished, it's still a relatively good bang for buck consideration. I haven't seen anyone complaining to the current effect of quality though. 

If someone is conscientious about American made, and we're not all Americans after all, then I'm not aware of another widely available option at the same price point making that claim. 

For 316 stainless I'm happy with my Weber handles.

I'm not pointing out 316 as a pro or con though. Personally don't think that's a spec worthy of quibbling over with razor handles.

9 1,407
 01-26-2016, 07:06 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I agree with the above sentiments. I would have compared it to the iKon stuff when it was all machined in Taiwan, before the sintered stainless showed up. The bulldogs and Wave were nearly identical to one another- the knurling on the Webers a tad more like the knurling found on wrenches and socket extensions. The iKon knurling was the same pattern but a bit more refined in feel and not quite as sharpand edgy.

143 1,984
 01-26-2016, 07:50 PM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 09:22 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Well Celestino, not slippery like I would drop them, but their surface felt a bit soft............hard to explain.
They did not feel anything like the Weber I owned from 2012, but the UFO's were very beautiful made.

I completely understand, my friend and I am just fortunate that I like my UFO handles and, most importantly, they photograph so very well! Biggrin

82 21,077
 01-27-2016, 03:37 AM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 07:50 PM)celestino Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 09:22 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Well Celestino, not slippery like I would drop them, but their surface felt a bit soft............hard to explain.

I completely understand, my friend and I am just fortunate that I like my UFO handles and, most importantly, they photograph so very well! Biggrin

I think you said it very well right there, Celestino, my good friend  Wink
We all love your photos in SOTD !!

24 5,963
 01-27-2016, 03:56 PM
User Info
Here's the two razor handles side by side:

[Image: 50a9ac25216983ff11831fcd9d8fd1b9.jpg]

5 229
 01-27-2016, 04:45 PM
User Info
(01-26-2016, 07:50 PM)celestino Wrote:

This is a good point Smile
All kidding aside I don't think they are comparable to UFO handles, I don't think any handles compare to UFO handles for that matter. Though I must say Triad handles are absolutely beautiful and are very well made. Also Wolfman handles are extremely well machined and have an amazing smooth finish.
Weber handles are decent, very functional and for the price can't go wrong. They just don't feel, look, function like a quality made handle like UFO, Triad, or Wolfman but they certainly get the job done

13 775