01-26-2016, 01:43 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
In common with the late United States Senator Lloyd Bentzen, yr obdnt srvnt knows petrichor; petrichor is a friend of mine; and . . .

to me, Summer Storm shaving soap from Chiseled Face is not redolent of petrichor
This came as a disappointment, as I had high hopes that its scent was an authentic replica of a scent that I love.  

The good news is that Summer Storm has a perfectly delightful scent.  The first time I shaved with it, my bride commented spontaneously as I emerged from the bathroom that it was a wonderful scent that followed me into the bedroom.  I cannot recall her ever reacting to another shaving soap scent in that manner.  But it is not like this (link), not at all, to my nose.  

But I had read so many favorable comments about Summer Storm that suggested that the scent is exactly like that, that my expectations had been raised, probably unrealistically, and even the delightful scent that it has was a real let-down.  

There is an old anecdote of a mother who watches her son marching in a military parade and observes, “My goodness, everyone is out of step but Johnny!" and, after all of the reviews of Summer Storm that I have read that suggested that the scent would transport m to another place altogether, I have to reconcile myself to the fact that my nose may just be . . . different.  

On the performance side, Chiseled Face Summer Storm is a top-notch performer.

0 1,054
 03-07-2016, 01:18 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Mel,

I think that only Mother Nature can make that scent, but the sample I have acquired is a close second.  I actually like it very much, though I think it smells more green with sort of a summery wetness to it, I wouldn't say it smells like an incoming storm.  I do seem to sense the electricity mentioned in some reviews, but the actual scent for me is more like a noon day watering on the fresh cut lawn next to a flower garden, bordered by a citrus orchard, to me.

Great review in any case, and I appreciate your candor!  I can't get enough of these soaps!

71 1,469
 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Mel, I have experienced one product that DID smell like that or at least the closest that anything made by the hand of man has ever come to it,.........a candle.  By Yankee Candle it was and I don't believe they produce it any longer but it brought back memories of standing in center field during our neighborhood pick up games on summer afternoons watching a thunderhead come our way, at least until I heard the crack of the bat....

7 2,281
 03-07-2016, 01:33 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
 04-24-2016, 05:49 PM
User Info
I used Chiseled Face Summer Storm this evening and liked it very much. Lathered well, provided good slickness, and I enjoyed scent. Coincidently, we had a Spring storm in the Houston area today!

0 11
 04-25-2016, 05:44 AM
User Info
I finished my Chiseled Face Summer Storm a few weeks ago. Top notch performer though the scent didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I'm enjoying their performance so will try a few more offerings...currently making inroads into the Cryogen which is probably the most mentholated soap I have ever experienced...makes my eyes water and literally hurts!! Smile

0 650
 04-25-2016, 09:41 AM
User Info
To me, it smells like shucking corn, not the smell of an oncoming storm as the description and label on the tub would lead you to believe. It is pleasant but I also get my hopes up on soaps based on their descriptions and am disappointed when they don't meet expectations.

4 105
 04-25-2016, 05:28 PM
User Info
(04-25-2016, 09:41 AM)sgemmett Wrote: To me, it smells like shucking corn, not the smell of an oncoming storm as the description and label on the tub would lead you to believe. It is pleasant but I also get my hopes up on soaps based on their descriptions and am disappointed when they don't meet expectations.

I am completely with you on the corn smell but it dries down to a grassier smell too.

55 923